California House Races Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 09:46:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California House Races Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Author Topic: California House Races Megathread  (Read 41390 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »

I love the morons who don't want Rouda because he was a former Republican, even though this is a district where about 15-20% of republicans voted for Hillary Clinton, and has a big GOP registration advantage.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »

This is horrible and I'm glad they caught it (I obviously hope Rouda wins now).  However, that DownWithTyranny article reads like it was written by a crazy person and the idea that Thorburn and Moser were victims of a smear campaign is ridiculous, to say the least.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »

I love the morons who don't want Rouda because he was a former Republican, even though this is a district where about 15-20% of republicans voted for Hillary Clinton, and has a big GOP registration advantage.

Yeah exactly, plus I'm not really seeing how or why Rouda's Republican past is even an issue. He's running to become a Representative of the House. He's gonna vote with whatever the caucus puts to a vote the same exact way any other progressive Berniecrat would. His past is an asset in a GE when it comes to appealing to those disaffected Romney-Clinton suburban Republicans uneasy with the current trajectory of the GOP.

Like he isn't even a "moderate". He's clearly stating he supports Medicare for All, which is a very leftwing position for a regularly republican position. I hope these purity progressives don't take over the democratic party smh. Thankfully, they seem to have a huge losing streak in primaries.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »

Rouda will be a horrible Congressman but he’s the only electable candidate in the race now.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

Does Rouda make runoff; or will it be Baugh, Keirstead, Siddiqui, or Zarkades?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »

This is horrible and I'm glad they caught it (I obviously hope Rouda wins now).  However, that DownWithTyranny article reads like it was written by a crazy person and the idea that Thorburn and Moser were victims of a smear campaign is ridiculous, to say the least.

Yeah I’d caution skepticism
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

Isn't Cisneros the victim of a smear campaign by Thorburn?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »

Does Rouda make runoff; or will it be Baugh, Keirstead, Siddiqui, or Zarkades?

Really? This question now of all times? With this oppo dump Kiersted is done, his votes probably flow to Rouda, and that gives us Roch v Rouda.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »

Zarkades, the only remaining Berniecrat, is dead last in the polls. Siddiqui might also gain a few votes as well. If Siddiqui gets enough votes, it might be Rohrabacher vs. Baugh.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »

Rouda will be a horrible Congressman but he’s the only electable candidate in the race now.

Why would Rouda be "horrible"?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »

Rouda's a good fit for the district. A Berniecrat like Zarkades is a poor fit for the district.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »

I don't trust someone who voted for John Kasich in 2016. Contrary to what the Resistance may think, the GOP was insane before Trump too.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »

I don't trust someone who voted for John Kasich in 2016. Contrary to what the Resistance may think, the GOP was insane before Trump too.

But you trust Ojeda, the Trump voter?

That reasoning is really dumb LOL, especially when you suck Ojeda's peepee dry. People's views can change, and he only voted Kasich in the primary.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »

That reasoning is really dumb LOL, especially when you suck Ojeda's peepee dry. People's views can change, and he only voted Kasich in the primary.

Ojeda supported Sanders in the primary though and he ran as a Democrat in both 2014 and 2016.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »

Ojeda supported Sanders in the primary though and he ran as a Democrat in both 2014 and 2016.

Ok, but he actually voted for Trump in the GE, and Trump is far more repulsive than Kasich. Rouda didn't even vote Kasich in the general, he just supported him in the primary.

Just admit it - you like Ojeda because he is a manly man Populist (TM) and you will ignore that he voted for Trump, whereas you wouldn't make the exception for other people (especially ones you deem "Neoliberal").
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

Ok, but he actually voted for Trump in the GE, and Trump is far more repulsive than Kasich. Rouda didn't even vote Kasich in the general, he just supported him in the primary.

Just admit it - you like Ojeda because he is a manly man Populist (TM) and you will ignore that he voted for Trump, whereas you wouldn't make the exception for other people (especially ones you deem "Neoliberal").
Ojeda will probably lose to Carol Miller anyway.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »

I don't use the term "neoliberal" but yes - I trust Ojeda more than Rouda to vote for the policies I want. It's as simple as that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »

I don't use the term "neoliberal" but yes - I trust Ojeda more than Rouda to vote for the policies I want. It's as simple as that.
Which California Gubernatorial candidate do you support in the primary?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »

Chiang. I don't like Villgorsa or Newsom at all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »

Newsom is especially bad, I think.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »

Do you like Chiang better than Eastin, the only serious Berniecrat?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »

Do you like Chiang better than Eastin, the only serious Berniecrat?

I like Eastin more I think but she has no shot at making the top 2.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

Rouda isn't optimal but he's received my personal backing following Laura Oatman's withdrawal from the contest. Yeah, he's pretty much just a Kasich Republican at heart, but he begrudging supports Medicare for All and the like so I can't really bring myself to care. It's not like he's going to make it to statewide office in the place of an actual leftie or whatever.

Bold and baseless prediction: Michael Avenatti (whose office I drove by while in Newport yesterday en route to FI) runs for this seat in 2020 should Scott Baugh make the top-two this cycle.

Wasn't aware of that. Take back what I said then.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »

Rouda isn't optimal but he's received my personal backing following Laura Oatman's withdrawal from the contest. Yeah, he's pretty much just a Kasich Republican at heart, but he begrudging supports Medicare for All and the like so I can't really bring myself to care. It's not like he's going to make it to statewide office in the place of an actual leftie or whatever.

Bold and baseless prediction: Michael Avenatti (whose office I drove by while in Newport yesterday en route to FI) runs for this seat in 2020 should Scott Baugh make the top-two this cycle.

I don't think Avenatti would win, but that'd be hilarious.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »

Exactly. Some Democrats seem to have a misunderstanding of how little influence a House Rep has when it comes to setting policy. Rouda isn't running for any high office that's in charge of setting an agenda. He's gonna vote nearly identical to any other rep with a D next to their name; progressive or otherwise it doesn't matter in this case.

California is also one of the states where House members lack the advantages for higher office they do in other states
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies