Dumbs angry about high school senior wearing Chinese dress to prom
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:56:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dumbs angry about high school senior wearing Chinese dress to prom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Dumbs angry about high school senior wearing Chinese dress to prom  (Read 17637 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2018, 11:24:04 PM by HillGoose »

I think "cultural appropriation" is stupid because that's admitting that "race" is real, and that differences are deeper than just people looking different. It's giving in to tribalism and collectivism.

I don't understand why people say you're supposedly more likely to help someone if they look like you. If you want me to help you, I don't care what you look like, I just expect you compensate me for my help.

The "tribe" can go to hell, I only look out for my own interests.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »

I know it's bad manners to post long YouTube essays, but u think this contrapoints videoy on cultural appropriation is closest to my thoughts on the matter:

https://youtu.be/bL4nHYFZoGs
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:20 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2018, 06:50:47 AM by X Marks The Spot »

ITT: white people with little to no experience being marginalized think they understand culture.

Right, because as a Jew, I clearly have no experience being marginalized Roll Eyes
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »

ITT: white people with little to no experience being marginalized think they understand culture.

...but hordes of Chinese people also spoke on this and almost all in her favor.
What about Chinese Americans?

Here's a Chinese American.

Because one guy is everything Roll Eyes

For the people who are offended by the dress, I'm wondering where you fall on the discussion of the Met Gala Catholic theme?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/met-gala-2018-theme-catholic-rihanna-pope-heavenly-bodies-a8340846.html

As a Catholic am I offended about what went down? Not really no. However, the idea of non-Catholics sexualizing the Catholic faith (outfit of the Pope for example) does rub me the wrong way. We shouldn't kid ourselves that Rihanna's outfit was doing the Catholic Church any favors, or was out of respect for the office of the Pope. It wasn't just insane attention seeking. Now, because I am an educated rational person of western culture, I AM FINE with portrayals that poke fun at my church.

But where is the outrage from the people against the Chinese dress? Surely the Chinese-inspired dress was no less tasteful than some of the stuff we saw at the Met Gala. While the Catholic faith has had plenty of moments of strength and dominance in society, it has also seen its fair share of persecution. Is it no less deserving of a such defense? And of course, if the Met Gala had invited people to dress up in just as outrageous and ridiculous costumes with the theme of the Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Native American, or Buddhist, etc. faiths, it would have been a top story on all of the news channels.  I just don't see how you can be offended by one and not the other.

Btw I never knew the Met Gala was such an insane event. "Fashion" for the purposes of being outrageous and getting attention at ritzy events like this is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Katy Perry was freaking knocking people over with her wings!
Catholic persecution has never been on the same level as the sh*t that other minorities have gone through. Catholics are currently comfortably part of the dominant culture, their past pains a faint memory, while other groups still go through massive s**t everyday.
So "cultural appropriation" is only "bad" when it hurts a minority group that you think is being persecuted right this second. It's totally fine to do it if they're white.

Its a problem when a privileged majority is doing it to an underprivileged minority.

Are you really claiming Chinese Americans are a marginalized group!?  Really!?  They do better than white people (as a whole) on practically every socio-economic indicator (income, net worth, education + elite university attendance, out of wedlock pregnancy, etc).

Their mother country is also a rising superpower with 1.3 billion people (there are also 100M overseas Chinese in economically dominant positions throughout southeast Asia).  Aside from about 100 years between the mid 19th century and the mid 20th century China was the premier power in East Asia and often the most developed civilization in the world.

How anyone can claim they are an underprivileged/marginalized group in this country or any other is beyond me.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

For the people who are offended by the dress, I'm wondering where you fall on the discussion of the Met Gala Catholic theme?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/met-gala-2018-theme-catholic-rihanna-pope-heavenly-bodies-a8340846.html

As a Catholic am I offended about what went down? Not really no. However, the idea of non-Catholics sexualizing the Catholic faith (outfit of the Pope for example) does rub me the wrong way. We shouldn't kid ourselves that Rihanna's outfit was doing the Catholic Church any favors, or was out of respect for the office of the Pope. It wasn't just insane attention seeking. Now, because I am an educated rational person of western culture, I AM FINE with portrayals that poke fun at my church.

But where is the outrage from the people against the Chinese dress? Surely the Chinese-inspired dress was no less tasteful than some of the stuff we saw at the Met Gala. While the Catholic faith has had plenty of moments of strength and dominance in society, it has also seen its fair share of persecution. Is it no less deserving of a such defense? And of course, if the Met Gala had invited people to dress up in just as outrageous and ridiculous costumes with the theme of the Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Native American, or Buddhist, etc. faiths, it would have been a top story on all of the news channels.  I just don't see how you can be offended by one and not the other.

Btw I never knew the Met Gala was such an insane event. "Fashion" for the purposes of being outrageous and getting attention at ritzy events like this is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Katy Perry was freaking knocking people over with her wings!
Catholic persecution has never been on the same level as the sh*t that other minorities have gone through. Catholics are currently comfortably part of the dominant culture, their past pains a faint memory, while other groups still go through massive s**t everyday.
So "cultural appropriation" is only "bad" when it hurts a minority group that you think is being persecuted right this second. It's totally fine to do it if they're white.

Its a problem when a privileged majority is doing it to an underprivileged minority.

Are you really claiming Chinese Americans are a marginalized group!?  Really!?  They do better than white people (as a whole) on practically every socio-economic indicator (income, net worth, education + elite university attendance, out of wedlock pregnancy, etc).

Their mother country is also a rising superpower with 1.3 billion people (there are also 100M overseas Chinese in economically dominant positions throughout southeast Asia).  Aside from about 100 years between the mid 19th century and the mid 20th century China was the premier power in East Asia and often the most developed civilization in the world.

How anyone can claim they are an underprivileged/marginalized group in this country or any other is beyond me.
There's still a notable amount of anti Asian bias, and poor Asians weren't allowed to come over unlike literally every other race.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »

So what do we call Justin Trudeau in this configuration?
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

There's still a notable amount of anti Asian bias, and poor Asians weren't allowed to come over unlike literally every other race.

There are plenty of poor Asian immigrants, including Chinese people.  They mostly don't stay poor after the first generation outside of a few groups like the Hmong.

Also the reason that their are fewer unskilled Asian immigrants relative to other groups is not due to discrimination against Asians.  The US has a legal immigration cap of roughly 1-1.1M per year, and there are so many educated Asians immigrating through skilled channels that their per country/region target is used up by skilled immigrants and their families. With Hispanics its the opposite, most are coming legally and illegally with little education and are taking jobs that require little education. 

Asians currently make up roughly 40% of legal immigrants, people from Latin America are also 40%.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »

There are plenty of poor Asian immigrants, including Chinese people.  They mostly don't stay poor after the first generation outside of a few groups like the Hmong.

Also the reason that their are fewer unskilled Asian immigrants relative to other groups is not due to discrimination against Asians.  The US has a legal immigration cap of roughly 1-1.1M per year, and there are so many educated Asians immigrating through skilled channels that their per country/region target is used up by skilled immigrants and their families. With Hispanics its the opposite, most are coming legally and illegally with little education and are taking jobs that require little education. 

Asians currently make up roughly 40% of legal immigrants, people from Latin America are also 40%.
I was talking about Asian immigration being historically heavily controlled to an unusual degree. And is Asians getting out of poverty anything more than conjecture based on stereotypes?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »

But where is the outrage from the people against the Chinese dress? Surely the Chinese-inspired dress was no less tasteful than some of the stuff we saw at the Met Gala. While the Catholic faith has had plenty of moments of strength and dominance in society, it has also seen its fair share of persecution. Is it no less deserving of a such defense? And of course, if the Met Gala had invited people to dress up in just as outrageous and ridiculous costumes with the theme of the Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Native American, or Buddhist, etc. faiths, it would have been a top story on all of the news channels.  I just don't see how you can be offended by one and not the other.

Are you really claiming Chinese Americans are a marginalized group!?  Really!?  They do better than white people (as a whole) on practically every socio-economic indicator (income, net worth, education + elite university attendance, out of wedlock pregnancy, etc).

Their mother country is also a rising superpower with 1.3 billion people (there are also 100M overseas Chinese in economically dominant positions throughout southeast Asia).  Aside from about 100 years between the mid 19th century and the mid 20th century China was the premier power in East Asia and often the most developed civilization in the world.

There are plenty of poor Asian immigrants, including Chinese people.  They mostly don't stay poor after the first generation outside of a few groups like the Hmong.

Also the reason that their are fewer unskilled Asian immigrants relative to other groups is not due to discrimination against Asians.  The US has a legal immigration cap of roughly 1-1.1M per year, and there are so many educated Asians immigrating through skilled channels that their per country/region target is used up by skilled immigrants and their families. With Hispanics its the opposite, most are coming legally and illegally with little education and are taking jobs that require little education.  

I was talking about Asian immigration being historically heavily controlled to an unusual degree. And is Asians getting out of poverty anything more than conjecture based on stereotypes?

why the hell should anyone care what their ancestors went through? You are not your family, you are your own person and have to live your own life and get to the top through any means possible. "Race" doesn't exist, anyone who actually cares about race is an idiot and most likely poor and unsuccessful on their own. You see this a lot with old white people, "I don't have a good job because a Mexican took it!" well no, you don't have a good job because you're a lazy worthless person who has nothing to offer. Minorities do it too, such as this "I'm poor because my family was legally discriminated against 100 years ago!" thing.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »

Weren't you the one saying that historical discrimination against Catholics was irrelevant for the present day?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »

Weren't you the one saying that historical discrimination against Catholics was irrelevant for the present day?

TBF that discrimination was largely against white devils, so who cares? Everyone knows that skin colour is literally the most important thing ever.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »

My point was that Asians relative wellbeing in this country has a lot to do with poor Asians never being allowed in like poor people of other races.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »

This thread is proof that people are actually more interested in fighting culture wars than talking about issues that actually have an impact on people's lives.

I find this terribly depressing.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »

This thread is proof that people are actually more interested in fighting culture wars than talking about issues that actually have an impact on people's lives.

This is the most crucial post so far.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »

Scarlet, you are being ridiculous.  Do you have a problem with a white person eating a taco or burrito too?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »

Many of these discussions are proxies for important questions of identity and value. It's understandable that it gets the most attention these days.

Then again, that doesn't mean it's Good and Correct to angrily debate inconsequential noise on a daily basis.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »

I live in a city where Chinese people were literally relegated to the swamps. My province used and abused them to build our railroads, run our mines, work our farms, catch our fish, and can our foods. Our white business owners took advantage of the desperation that so many Chinese families felt when they came to Canada, paying them considerably less than they'd pay white labourers. Chinese workers were segregated from others in pitiful conditions, made to do hugely dangerous work, and subjected to cavalier racism on the daily.

Our newspapers and magazines featured white people taming Chinese immigrants in traditional garb like pets, as if it was an accomplishment to domesticate these "exotic" subhumans. Our government enacted racist policies that made Chinese immigrants pay exorbitant "head taxes" upon entry to the country. When that didn't work, we banned them outright for over 20 years.

Their traditional clothing has its own meaning divorced from politics, but it's also a symbol of resilience amidst all the bullsh-t they've had to endure. I imagine that it must be a real mark of pride for Chinese people to wear these clothes. This garb once set them apart and made them a target... now it's a way to celebrate who they are, remember what they've been through, and relay the clear message that they are here and they are strong. These pieces of clothing belong to them.

And then for some basic white girl to come along, strip it of its meaning, and wear it to prom like it's just another consumable accessory...? Not cool. I'm not going to say there are hard and fast rules about cultural appropriation, but this clearly was not thoughtful. If she was being thoughtful she would have humbled herself and made a different choice, because there were many others that would have allowed her to avoid even being construed as disprespecting an entire group of people. Instead, she wore it. Because the only thing she was really thinking about was herself.

LMAO, what is this nonsense? is this how you north americans spend your time?
too many.almost makes me want to go back to colombia
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »

Asians were largely prevented from immigrating before the 60's but since then millions have been allowed to immigrate.  By and large they have done very well in the US and haven't been prevented from achieving economic/academic/cultural success.  There are Asian stereotypes just like their are stereotypes for every other racial/ethnic group in existence. That doesn't mean that Asians are seriously discriminated against or that their path to high achievement is being blocked in any way or even that their culture/appearance is disproportionately mocked.  If Asians were so mistreated there wouldn't be nearly so many well off, highly educated Asians flocking to the US despite reasonable prospects in their own countries.

Personally, growing up as an immigrant myself in northern NJ, I had experience with many poor Asian immigrants from China/Korea/India who had cultural values that allowed them to escape low income in one generation or less.  Parents generally pushed their children very hard academically, this is a stereotype for a reason.  The first generation often owned small businesses or were blue collar service/trade workers, second generation became professionals almost to a person. Their upbringing was similar in some ways to my own Russian Jewish one (although both my parents had STEM degrees from the SU). 

P.S. Not saying that most of the Asians I grew up around were from poor backgrounds, just that the ones that were almost universally managed to join the upper middle class.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »

Southeast Asian economies were destroyed in the 1998 Asian economic crisis and with the exception of Singapore the region has been pretty much a basket case since then. The ethnic Chinese population in Malaysia is actually shrinking as that country turns more towards Islamic conservatism. Islamic fundamentalism is also on the rise among Indonesia. Ironically, the fastest growing countries in Southeast Asia are now the Philippines and Vietnam.

The last time I started talking to a stranger at Starbucks, as soon as he saw I was Chinese ethnicity he started talking about nuclear weapons. It's because our mother country (which, by the way, we are separated from, so what good does it do us?) is a rising superpower that it causes troubles for us.

Cases like Wen Ho Lee, Sherry Chen, Xiaoxing Li, Guoqing Cao, and others show that Chinese Americans are being unfairly targeted for "espionage", while the administration's constant anti-China rhetoric falls on Chinese Americans. I wish China wasn't a rising power, and just developed economically while maintaining a low profile.

China was never the most developed civilization in the world. For example, while the ancient Greeks already had the concept of the spherical earth, it did not spread to China until the Ming dynasty. The notion that China was some static uber-civilized place for thousands of years is ignorance of Chinese history and an example of what Said called Orientalism.

Chinese Americans do not really have a community. In the 2nd generation, the majority of women and a minority of men marry outside meaning there is no real sense of cohesion among 'Chinese Americans.' The Black community, for instance, has celebrities like Jay Z, Beyonce, or Obama who arose with the support of Black patronage, whereas Chinese Americans do not usually patronize culture this way, and instead assimilate into the larger society. Most of us are considered traitors by Chinese nationals. When Shuping Yang praised America at a University of Maryland commencement ceremony, she was practically burnt at the stake in China. While a Chinese student recently made a rap video cursing out Chinese Americans.

Chinese Americans as a whole are lacking our own community, and unfairly viewed as suspicious by both America and China, as well as by both the Right and the Left. The Right views us as unfavorable as non-white immigrants, while the Left views us as unfavorable due to the aforementioned socioeconomic statistics. That puts Chinese Americans as a whole in a rather difficult position. That being said, this whole qipao controversy has nothing to do with actual Chinese American concerns and everything to do with America's toxic, social justice warrior culture. The vast majority of us are not offended by this, or even feel the opposite.

I believe that Thailand has the largest overseas Chinese community at roughly 10M.  These countries: Thailand/Malayasia/Indonesia/Singapore/Tiawan/etc may be basket cases (I would argue not for many of them) but it doesn't change the fact that Chinese people occupy a dominant economic position within them compared to their proportion of the population (Taiwan obviously is a ethnic Chinese country). 

Also I'm not sure how Chinese Americans are "bearing" some sort of undue burden due to assimilation (this is a positive) or Trumps tough on China attitude?  Nor am I sure how Republicans/Democrats are negative rhetorically or actually toward Chinese immigrants?  All statistics point toward the Chinese American population assimilating almost seamlessly into the American upper middle/upper class and their isn't anything wrong with that. 

PS. Also I would dispute that their aren't Chinese celebrities or politicians  and especially that they are lacking due to discrimination..  Its just that Chinese Americans are 1% of the population vs 13% for black Americans (and are far more recently arrived) so their political impact is more local (California, Washington, etc).

world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »

Asians were largely prevented from immigrating before the 60's but since then millions have been allowed to immigrate.  By and large they have done very well in the US and haven't been prevented from achieving economic/academic/cultural success.  There are Asian stereotypes just like their are stereotypes for every other racial/ethnic group in existence. That doesn't mean that Asians are seriously discriminated against or that their path to high achievement is being blocked in any way or even that their culture/appearance is disproportionately mocked.  If Asians were so mistreated there wouldn't be nearly so many well off, highly educated Asians flocking to the US despite reasonable prospects in their own countries.

Personally, growing up as an immigrant myself in northern NJ, I had experience with many poor Asian immigrants from China/Korea/India who had cultural values that allowed them to escape low income in one generation or less.  Parents generally pushed their children very hard academically, this is a stereotype for a reason.  The first generation often owned small businesses or were blue collar service/trade workers, second generation became professionals almost to a person. Their upbringing was similar in some ways to my own Russian Jewish one (although both my parents had STEM degrees from the SU). 

P.S. Not saying that most of the Asians I grew up around were from poor backgrounds, just that the ones that were almost universally managed to join the upper middle class.
The opening up of Asian immigration coincides with the beginning of prioritization of skilled immigration. One anecdote  doesn't prove anything. The us has better economic prospects than places like India, and thus brain drain happens.
Also:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/harvard-asian-admission.amp.html
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/568593799/poll-asian-americans-see-individuals-prejudice-as-big-discrimination-problem
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.themarysue.com/asian-americas-vs-mainland-asian/amp/
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

So true.
This thread just considerably diminished my faith in humanity.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »

Southeast Asian economies were destroyed in the 1998 Asian economic crisis and with the exception of Singapore the region has been pretty much a basket case since then. The ethnic Chinese population in Malaysia is actually shrinking as that country turns more towards Islamic conservatism. Islamic fundamentalism is also on the rise among Indonesia. Ironically, the fastest growing countries in Southeast Asia are now the Philippines and Vietnam.

The last time I started talking to a stranger at Starbucks, as soon as he saw I was Chinese ethnicity he started talking about nuclear weapons. It's because our mother country (which, by the way, we are separated from, so what good does it do us?) is a rising superpower that it causes troubles for us.

Cases like Wen Ho Lee, Sherry Chen, Xiaoxing Li, Guoqing Cao, and others show that Chinese Americans are being unfairly targeted for "espionage", while the administration's constant anti-China rhetoric falls on Chinese Americans. I wish China wasn't a rising power, and just developed economically while maintaining a low profile.

China was never the most developed civilization in the world. For example, while the ancient Greeks already had the concept of the spherical earth, it did not spread to China until the Ming dynasty. The notion that China was some static uber-civilized place for thousands of years is ignorance of Chinese history and an example of what Said called Orientalism.

Chinese Americans do not really have a community. In the 2nd generation, the majority of women and a minority of men marry outside meaning there is no real sense of cohesion among 'Chinese Americans.' The Black community, for instance, has celebrities like Jay Z, Beyonce, or Obama who arose with the support of Black patronage, whereas Chinese Americans do not usually patronize culture this way, and instead assimilate into the larger society. Most of us are considered traitors by Chinese nationals. When Shuping Yang praised America at a University of Maryland commencement ceremony, she was practically burnt at the stake in China. While a Chinese student recently made a rap video cursing out Chinese Americans.

Chinese Americans as a whole are lacking our own community, and unfairly viewed as suspicious by both America and China, as well as by both the Right and the Left. The Right views us as unfavorable as non-white immigrants, while the Left views us as unfavorable due to the aforementioned socioeconomic statistics. That puts Chinese Americans as a whole in a rather difficult position. That being said, this whole qipao controversy has nothing to do with actual Chinese American concerns and everything to do with America's toxic, social justice warrior culture. The vast majority of us are not offended by this, or even feel the opposite.

I believe that Thailand has the largest overseas Chinese community at roughly 10M.  These countries: Thailand/Malayasia/Indonesia/Singapore/Tiawan/etc may be basket cases (I would argue not for many of them) but it doesn't change the fact that Chinese people occupy a dominant economic position within them compared to their proportion of the population (Taiwan obviously is a ethnic Chinese country). 

Also I'm not sure how Chinese Americans are "bearing" some sort of undue burden due to assimilation (this is a positive) or Trumps tough on China attitude?  Nor am I sure how Republicans/Democrats are negative rhetorically or actually toward Chinese immigrants?  All statistics point toward the Chinese American population assimilating almost seamlessly into the American upper middle/upper class and their isn't anything wrong with that. 

PS. Also I would dispute that their aren't Chinese celebrities or politicians  and especially that they are lacking due to discrimination..  Its just that Chinese Americans are 1% of the population vs 13% for black Americans (and are far more recently arrived) so their political impact is more local (California, Washington, etc).

There is a lack of East Asians in general as celebrities or known famous people, which is actually important as it would be a big factor in being accepted as American and not foreign if there were more visible Asian American celebrities like Obama, Oprah, Kanye West, etc. They are probably around 5% of the population so even as a proportion of the population they are underrepresented.

The anti China attitude in the U.S. obviously negatively impacts Chinese Americans, I just gave four examples of Chinese Americans who were falsely accused of espionage and had their lives ruined because of it, gave two examples of Chinese Americans facing anti-American hatred from Chinese nationals, and related a personal anecdote. I mean, it certainly is more relevant than your "mother country" comment, or the status of ethnic Chinese in Thailand (in addition to being an economic basket case, it's even worse as that country is largely seen as a destination for sex tourism; a whore of the world, or at least for rich Westerners, which is the last association anyone would want to have), which doesn't relate to Chinese Americans in the least.

Well there is massive Chinese espionage in the US (especially industrial/tech) but it is unfortunate if some innocent people get caught up in anti-espionage enforcement. 

I guess then I can claim that I'm discriminated against being from Russia.  The anti-Russia hysteria is far greater than any anti Chinese sentiment right now (maybe deservedly) and there are plenty of jokes and comments made toward me when people find out where I was born.  Not to mention people being accused of espionage and election meddling, like with China most accurately but some inaccurately.

I generally take it in stride and laugh it off like I'm sure most Chinese Americans do, recognizing that the effect on my life and actual prospects is minimal just as it is for the overwhelming majority of Chinese Americans.

I don't really watch much TV but going to wiki there is a long list of Asian American actors/actresses/entertainers, some like Lucy Liu and David Chang (chef/documentaries) that I recognize.  This list will grow, as it needs to be remembered that East Asian Americans are more like 3-3.5% (South Asians are the rest) of the population and an absolute majority are immigrants themselves.  As the second/third generation comes of age fully integrated into American cultural life and the English language the quantity of Asian celebrities will increase.  For instance when Opera got her start in the early 80's the Asian American population was probably 10% of what it is today and Asian descent numbers in the US will continue to grow by at least 500K per year for the midterm future at least.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »

Remember this?

Some of the sh!t the San Francisco school board did reminds me of it. Glad they got owned.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2022, 11:44:22 PM »

I hope she's doing well after this scumbag tried to incite the internet against her.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies