White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:03:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf  (Read 7268 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »

Wouldn't it been nice if conservatives were equally concerned about the feelings of people who see their families torn apart by ICE?
Or people who will lose their health care because of Trump undermining Obamacare?
But I guess for them only white privileged assholes like SHS have feelings.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »

Overall, it was pretty tasteless and just about as crude as I expected it to be. I thought the abortion remark she made was simply disgusting...

"Don’t knock it ‘til you try it — and when you do try it, really knock it. You know, you’ve got to get that baby out of there."

I think whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, we can all agree that abortion is not something to celebrate as good, in and of itself. Not saying she shouldn't have been allowed to say it, just saying that it's sad that this is what passes for humor.

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »

Nobody was really funny, just a sign of how badly the daily show has dropped off in the past couple years.

The Daily Show stopped being good when Jon left. Which I don't think is completely attributable to Trevor Noah. Most of the correspondents and writing staff left at the same time and it just didn't have the same biting humor that it did before.

🔥🔥🔥 take alert: Wyatt Cenac is the most talented Daily Show alum since Steven Colbert (yes, including John Oliver, and Sam Bee).
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »

Nobody was really funny, just a sign of how badly the daily show has dropped off in the past couple years.

The Daily Show stopped being good when Jon left. Which I don't think is completely attributable to Trevor Noah. Most of the correspondents and writing staff left at the same time and it just didn't have the same biting humor that it did before.

🔥🔥🔥 take alert: Wyatt Cenac is the most talented Daily Show alum since Steven Colbert (yes, including John Oliver, and Sam Bee).

I definitely agree with your 🔥 take. Plus, I don’t think Trevor Noah is funny at all
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »

The media invites a comedian to come roast them, they get roasted, and then they all compete to show that their the ones with the most integrity by saying the comedian they hired was mean spirited.

Nothing Michelle Wolf said was mean. Was she particularly funny?No, she’s not my taste. 8/10 of her jokes usually fell flat. Hassan Minhaj was waaaaay funnier. But the WHCA is the one who hired her to do exactly what she did. They knew what they were getting themselves into.

THIS.

You'd think political people would have thicker skin. Jesus.
kyc0705

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »

The WHCA are wimps, pass it on:
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2018, 10:59:18 PM by JFK »

I thought it was wonderful. Her (intentionally) awkward delivery was part of what made it funny, it seemed more genuine. Sure it certainly didn't comply with "when they go low we go high" but it was acceptable and not any worse than what Sanders does to reporters literally every day.

It wasn't funny but it made the Hulkabeast squirm so kudos!

Huckabee got the best press of anyone out of this unfortunate affair, with his pose under fire, so your schadenfreude might be a bit misplaced here.
I haven't been paying attention to the media response, nor do I care. LOL. I just liked seeing her ripped to shreds to her face. Smiley

I guess we all like to see folks get their comeuppance.

I'll like seeing Stacey Abrams go down in flames on primary day.  
I'll enjoy it greatly, to be honest.
Isn't she polling, like, 18 points ahead of Evans? Even though most are still undecided, a ton (as in like 70% of undecideds) would have to swing to Evans for her to even narrowly win, and with the kind of massive, well funded, well run campaign juggernaut that Abrams is running (and the fact that she's reaching out to those who haven't been reached out to, ever) I find that extremely unlikely.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »

She gave a delivery style like Wendy Liebman which is intentionally awkward. It's very clear that a lot of people don't understand comedy and are being overly sensitive. With that said when Trump was called out for inciting someone to shoot Hillary Clinton was dismissed as a joke, the Access Hollywood tape was a joke, the making fun of a disable reporter was a joke, etc. Either some people love making excuses or they have a dark sense of humor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »

Overall, it was pretty tasteless and just about as crude as I expected it to be. I thought the abortion remark she made was simply disgusting...

"Don’t knock it ‘til you try it — and when you do try it, really knock it. You know, you’ve got to get that baby out of there."

I think whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, we can all agree that abortion is not something to celebrate as good, in and of itself. Not saying she shouldn't have been allowed to say it, just saying that it's sad that this is what passes for humor.

At least admits that abortion involves a baby.  Weird she thinks that's cool and funny though.

The WHCA are wimps, pass it on:

They can be an organization devoted to the work of promoting the place of serious political journalism in society, or they can be a risque but expensively dressed comedy club.  Hard to be both.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »

What I listened to of it wasn't particularly offensive, but I didn't find it particularly funny.  It was about at the level of an okay amateur taking advantage of an open mic night at a comedy club.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »

The response by DC journalists to Wolf is why there is no point to counting on the press to do their jobs.

They are worthless.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »

Did not find any of her comments/jokes funny.

It just seemed like unrehearsed abuse.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/29/politics/michelle-wolf-whcd-takeaways/index.html

Anyone on the forum find this stuff funny?
I find it actually a lot more funny knowing that you disliked it. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »

Anything to troll the conservatives.  Have you tried the Roe v Wade Dairy Queen Blizzard?  It's vanilla softserve blended with bitter flavored conservative tear ice.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2018, 11:58:43 PM »

And I'm just bein' like ...huh, I guess that Dinner thing happened.

Kinda tuned out after Trump wussed out. The whole affair has always been a pathetic, but Obama had a good run of it.

@Beet: You must've hated 2006 then huh.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:50 AM »

Kinda tuned out after Trump wussed out. The whole affair has always been a pathetic, but Obama had a good run of it.

It is funny how history repeats itself.

DC pundits all thought Colbert went too far in 2006. but after the midterms it was obvious that most Americans agreed with his assessment about W.

There is no group that is more out of touch with reality then DC journalists and pundits.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 12:36:39 AM »

Well, good for her.  I didn't know who she was before this and now I do.  Judging by all the butthurt she did a great job.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 12:51:44 AM »

Well, good for her.  I didn't know who she was before this and now I do.  Judging by all the butthurt she did a great job.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »

She wanted to stir up trouble. Good for her! I'm a fan!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2018, 01:21:42 AM »

It's about what I expected from her, really. I've never found her to be particularly funny to begin with, and don't even see how some people liked her before this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 03:00:40 AM »

F-cking hilarious.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 04:18:26 AM »

It wasn't funny, but it happened to be true.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 05:55:22 AM »

I watched the Michelle Wolf thing unfortunately.

It was neither funny nor offensive.

I thought, based on the Republican reaction, that it would include some disparaging comments about Huckabee's appearance. It didn't.

It was just 2 minutes of "I am liberal, Sarah Huckabee Sanders is not liberal, she is a lair".

If conservatives had just ignored this, Wolf would have just vanished into obscurity because she's not very funny.

Or maybe conservatives are playing 5D chess. Maybe they are getting one over on Democrats. By making Wolf a celebrity, they are going to force liberals to patronize this woman and pretend she is funny for the next 7 years at least.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »

This, indeed, was the worst part of the presentation.  Ragging on Trump, or even on his Press Secretary, Sanders, is one thing; this comment is another.

Many years ago, Tex Antoine, a weather reporter in NYC with a known alcohol problem, made a comment on the air as to if rape were inevitible, sit back and enjoy it.  The outcry was immediate, and Antoine was deservedly fired.  I see little difference between his comment and this comedienne's comment.  Both of them joke about a traumatic event in a person's life.  

This issue isn't going to keep me up at nights.  I expect such insensitivity from entertainers; they only get upset at comments about children when it's THEIR parenting brought into question.  But this comment does reflect Michelle Wolf's lack of regard for the humanity of children, and if she's made to feel uncomfortable by the public spotlight shining on this comment, so be it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 07:29:17 AM »

It is funny how history repeats itself.

DC pundits all thought Colbert went too far in 2006. but after the midterms it was obvious that most Americans agreed with his assessment about W.

There is no group that is more out of touch with reality then DC journalists and pundits.

Sure there is: Trumpy and his bootlickers.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »

She's often a lot more funny on the Daily Show. She was probably venting America's frustration during the monologue, and to piss off Trump and his base. Mission accomplished.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies