2016 Dem. primaries if Clinton was never Secretary of State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 Dem. primaries if Clinton was never Secretary of State
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Dem. primaries if Clinton was never Secretary of State  (Read 664 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

What if Obama had picked John Kerry as Secretary of State in 2009 rather than Hillary Clinton?  Clinton stays in the Senate for the remainder of Obama's presidency, and goes on to run for president in 2016.  Does she still (mostly) clear the field of potential Democratic rivals if she's running from the Senate rather than as a former Secretary of State?  Does the absence of the email scandal make any difference?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »

I'm not sure Clinton runs for re-election in 2012 in this scenario. Other Senators were starting to not get along with her...and I doubt Kerry serves all eight years as Secretary of State anyway, so unless Biden steps down as VP to become Secretary of State, it's possible that Clinton would just get the job anyways in Obama's second term.

As for 2016, she probably doesn't completely clear the field, as Biden is still 50-50 to run, and it's possible someone like Cuomo or Warren (who might be elected in 2009 instead of Scott Brown, or 2012 after Kennedy's death as IRL) runs, Sanders still runs, and it's possible someone like Tammy Baldwin jumps in.

The lack of an Email scandal helps her in the general (if she gets there), but she'll still have problems in the primary, largely regarding Iraq, plus possible votes on the bailout, and possibly various actions during the Arab Spring.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:05:14 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2018, 06:39:00 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

She just can't win. NewYorkExpress is pretty much dead on. She wouldn't have the email scandal or Benghazi but in its place would probably be other overhyped "scandals" based on her even longer tenure in the Senate, assuming she stayed, which she probably would but in doing so probably loses relevance and her positive approvals from the public. It seems that when she is present people hate her and when she isn't people like her. Except for now of course since even though she isn't a public figure anymore she is a designated loser and with that seems to be the most reviled person in the country.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »

The email scandal was one of the biggest factors in her loss. I think she would squeaked by without it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »

I wish he picked Kerry early on. He was much better. However, I think she might have run for reelection in 2012, but I'm not sure. However, I'm sure she would have run for president again since she always wanted to be in the Oval Office. The overall outcome might not have been much different if 2016 is a staunch anti-establishment year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies