MI-Gov: Glengariff Group - Schuette and Thanedar lead their primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-Gov: Glengariff Group - Schuette and Thanedar lead their primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-Gov: Glengariff Group - Schuette and Thanedar lead their primaries  (Read 1695 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »

GOP : https://www.scribd.com/document/377481215/MI-Gov-Glengariff-Group-for-Greater-Detroit-Regional-Chamber-PAC-April-2018
Dem: https://www.scribd.com/document/377480707/MI-Gov-Glengariff-Group-for-Greater-Detroit-Regional-Chamber-PAC-April-2018

GOP:
Bill Schuette - 36%
Calley - 23%
Colbeck - 4%
Hines - 1%
Space - 0.3%
Undecided - 34%

Dem:
Thanedar - 30%
Whitmer - 26%
El-Sayed - 7%
Cobbs - 3%
Undecided - 35%

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »

Note, among those "certain to vote":

GOP:
Schuette - 38%
Calley - 23%
Colbeck - 5%
Hines - 1%
Space - 0.3%
Undecided - 31%

Dem:
Thanedar - 30%
Whitmer - 27%
El-Sayed - 7%
Cobbs - 3%
Undecided - 31%
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »

Calley has risen a bit.
UncleSam

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »

I’m surprised by Calley’s performance here, stronger than I expected. It’s gettin very close to the primary to be down 15 though.

I’m doubly surprised at how terrible a campaign Whitmer has run. She’s a totally uninspiring figure and public speaker from what I hear (this is completely anecdotal and may or may not reflect reality though - I’ve never personally heard her speak or campaign). I honestly am starting to doubt that she would even be the strongest candidate - idk if having two white liberal women who appeal to exactly the same constituencies in Ann Arvor and Oakland is a great idea. With Schuette likely to do well out state and John James proving surprisingly enigmatic, there has to be concerns about turning out Detroit in both the Governor and even the Senate race at this point.

It would be better if Dems had a strong minority candidate for governor to balance Stabenaw’s suburban Detroit appeal. Idk if Thanedar is really the best candidate to do that though - why do people here not like him? Is he too far left, or does he have serious controversies I’m not aware of?

Honestly think Michigan Governor is tilt R right now, with this uncertainty in the Dem primary. Could easily end up strong the other way of course, but the lack of enthusiasm for any of the candidates is pretty startling (and that even includes Stabenaw in the senate race tbh, though I expect her to outperform the gubernatorial candidate by at least 5 due to a stronger performance in the UP and Grand Rapids - I just don’t think she’s in a position to drag a weak governor candidate across the finish line).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »

Schuette will win.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »

[...]

It would be better if Dems had a strong minority candidate for governor to balance Stabenaw’s suburban Detroit appeal. Idk if Thanedar is really the best candidate to do that though - why do people here not like him? Is he too far left, or does he have serious controversies I’m not aware of?

[...]

The problem with Thanedar is that he may not even be an actual Democrat. Before he even entered, he considered running as a Republican/Independent/Democrat, and was notoriously hard to lock down policy positions from. It's quite possibly he doesn't have any real preferences and is perfectly find going whatever way is best for him, including flip-flopping if necessary. IMO, primary voters should vote against him even if only because his actual allegiances to the Democratic Party are sketchy at best, and he can't be trusted to act in the party's interest for his tenure - I might also add that a Governor with actual party loyalty is absolutely critical, given redistricting will happen under his watch.

Other than that though, I'm not privy to too many other specifics. But it really wouldn't surprise me if Thanedar was doing this only to benefit himself/his own business interests somehow. It's just a shame that of all years for some fake Democrat with a big bank account to run, it had to be 2018, where the party has an edge. Michigan can do a lottttt better than him Squinting
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »

Thanedar is a very interesting character, I hope he wins the Democratic Primary
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »

I hope so, for many reasons but also because it's weird to see someone as baby-faced as Thanedar possibly being a Governor (especially since he's 63, which makes said baby face stranger):

He totally gives me ninja turtle vibes!

Meanwhile, Whitmer is considerably more attractive:

Purple heart
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »

Thanedar has spent millions the last months to promote his candidacy while Whitmer has hoarded her cash for later (Michigan primary is pretty late). It makes sense that he has taken a small lead.

I’m doubly surprised at how terrible a campaign Whitmer has run. She’s a totally uninspiring figure and public speaker from what I hear (this is completely anecdotal and may or may not reflect reality though - I’ve never personally heard her speak or campaign).

So in other words you are just blowing smoke.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 11:42:25 PM »

Thanedar has spent millions the last months to promote his candidacy while Whitmer has hoarded her cash for later (Michigan primary is pretty late). It makes sense that he has taken a small lead.

I’m doubly surprised at how terrible a campaign Whitmer has run. She’s a totally uninspiring figure and public speaker from what I hear (this is completely anecdotal and may or may not reflect reality though - I’ve never personally heard her speak or campaign).

Thanedar is rich. HE has unlimited resources basically.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 07:06:46 AM »

How many wealthy self-funders crashed and burned in their primaries this year?
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »

Thanedar is wealthy for sure but unlimited resources? He was bankrupt not that long ago. I seriously doubt he is worth more then 20 million, which is not enough to finance a whole campaign on your own.
Unlimited resources would be Pritzker or Rauner for me.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

[...]

[...]

The problem with Thanedar is that he may not even be an actual Democrat. Before he even entered, he considered running as a Republican/Independent/Democrat, and was notoriously hard to lock down policy positions from. It's quite possibly he doesn't have any real preferences and is perfectly find going whatever way is best for him, including flip-flopping if necessary. IMO, primary voters should vote against him even if only because his actual allegiances to the Democratic Party are sketchy at best, and he can't be trusted to act in the party's interest for his tenure - I might also add that a Governor with actual party loyalty is absolutely critical, given redistricting will happen under his watch.

Other than that though, I'm not privy to too many other specifics. But it really wouldn't surprise me if Thanedar was doing this only to benefit himself/his own business interests somehow. It's just a shame that of all years for some fake Democrat with a big bank account to run, it had to be 2018, where the party has an edge. Michigan can do a lottttt better than him Squinting

Tbh sounds a lot like Trump...
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:49 PM »

Just read the animal testing story about Thanedar and yea he seems like an oppo researchers dream. I'm sure there's way more stuff about him that will come out and he seems like someone who'd implode and make a ton of gaffes on the trail. Whitmer's problem is she has such a low profile, state Senator is not really a good jumping board to Governor especially in a huge state like Michigan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies