Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts  (Read 14777 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:30 PM »

Yeah. Apologies are fine. No one would care. It's the hacking nonsense that has destroyed her credibility.

Yeah it's such a terrible excuse (even in spite of Russian hacking's relevance). I remember when Anthony Weiner tried that out when his Twitter exchanges were first coming to light.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »

Yeah. Apologies are fine. No one would care. It's the hacking nonsense that has destroyed her credibility.

Yeah it's such a terrible excuse (even in spite of Russian hacking's relevance). I remember when Anthony Weiner tried that out when his Twitter exchanges were first coming to light.

It's also been proven to be implausible by pretty much every cybersecurity expert who has said anything about this.
James Monroe

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »

I'm sick of the whole "gotcha" mentality of dragging people down for stuff that was said or written about years ago. Provided she's not pushing these views today.

The smart decision would be for Joy to go public on her show tomorrow and discuss the recent scandal of her past homophobic blogposts. Continuing to pus the story as being a Russian cyber attack would only further the backlash from the left and right, concluding with a firing from MSNBC. She's been one of our brightest political pundits in the mainstream media, it would be saddening to see her go if she keeps pushing this victim mentality.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »

I'm not going to be lectured on homophobia by Republicans.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »

I really don't care if she apologizes. She should be fired, and every day MSNBC doesn't do so only makes them more like Fox News in my opinion.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »

It's not only Republicans that have a problem with this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »

DADT seemed pretty crazy to me at the time 25 years old, so lets not go with the "it was a different time" excuse.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

Or gay Democrats either, apparently
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »

I'm a Republican?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »

In 2006 gay marriage was already legal in one state (and in Canada and a few other countries), civil unions were the law in a few other states, that same year a gay marriage ban was voted down in Arizona, many states had anti-discrimination laws, it was almost a decade after the first gay lead character on a TV show (on Ellen) had "come out", it was long after shows like Friends had not only portrayed gay characters but even gay weddings, etc.

It was not some radically different time with radically different social mores on this. The stats cited on this are all in relation to gay marriage...but that's not what her comments are about. She's not under fire for just opposing gay marriage. It's a stupid stupid reasoning.

I mean yeah that's enough time for one's views to evolve, but trying to argue that it was some long ago era with radically different social standards is just absurd. And she's not even apologizing and claiming her views evolved, she's pushing the BS hacking story. So even that's not an excuse.

Fire her ass.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »

I just want her to acknowledge that she said what she did, admit that it was wrong, and apologize.  She doesn't need to grovel or spend an inordinate amount of her time trying to prove how gay-friendly she is. 

On the other hand, continuing to deny having said it, trying to play victim, or deflecting will be pretty offensive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »

I just want her to acknowledge that she said what she did, admit that it was wrong, and apologize.  She doesn't need to grovel or spend an inordinate amount of her time trying to prove how gay-friendly she is. 

On the other hand, continuing to deny having said it, trying to play victim, or deflecting will be pretty offensive.

She should be fired for blaming Russia for literally everything. But of course that's what the corporate media wants her to do, so she won't be fired.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »

These morons who act like 2006 was equivalent to 1956 in terms of attitudes toward homosexuality aren't doing her any favors.

It was 37 years after Stonewall ffs.

Can I get a link to some screenshots of the articles? The only one I've seen so far just said "straight people tend to think gay sex is gross (just like gay people probably think straight sex is gross)".

Did you read to the end of the article wherein:

"Rachel Maddow, who is openly gay and is now Reid’s colleague at MSNBC, was also the frequent target of attack on the blog. Other posts from the same time period openly oppose gay marriage and criticize the idea that the issue should be decided by the courts."

That's nothing. Opposing same sex marriage when Obama, Hillary, and Bernie all opposed same sex marriage is not a big deal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »

These morons who act like 2006 was equivalent to 1956 in terms of attitudes toward homosexuality aren't doing her any favors.

Can I get a link to some screenshots of the articles? The only one I've seen so far just said "straight people tend to think gay sex is gross (just like gay people probably think straight sex is gross)".

"Rachel Maddow, who is openly gay and is now Reid’s colleague at MSNBC, was also the frequent target of attack on the blog. Other posts from the same time period openly oppose gay marriage and criticize the idea that the issue should be decided by the courts."

That's nothing. Opposing same sex marriage when Obama, Hillary, and Bernie all opposed same sex marriage is not a big deal.

Her opposition was more comparable to Rick Santorum's.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »

LOL at the idea that Bernie opposed SSM then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2018, 11:57:11 PM »

For the record, it's completely understandable why Russia would interfere against Hillary Clinton and other prominent Democratic politicians. It's not so understandable why Russia would throw up a massive conspiracy and level of hacking to defame some MSNBC pundit. Even someone as anti-Russia as me can see how absurd that notion is. There's more logic and plausibility to the claims that Al Franken was framed by some right-wing conspiracy.

And please don't try to actually argue it's because she's such a bold Resistance leader against Trump, most people didn't even know who she was prior to this, I only knew of her in passing and could tell you nothing about her, and if she disappeared off the face of the Earth, there would be zero impact on Trump's agenda or his or the Republicans' electoral prospects. The number of people it'd make more sense to target than her is well into the hundreds.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2018, 12:13:04 AM »

Yawn, this shouldn't be a controversy.,
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »

Yawn, this shouldn't be a controversy.,

Well that settles it I guess. All points against her debunked.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »

For the record, it's completely understandable why Russia would interfere against Hillary Clinton and other prominent Democratic politicians. It's not so understandable why Russia would throw up a massive conspiracy and level of hacking to defame some MSNBC pundit. Even someone as anti-Russia as me can see how absurd that notion is. There's more logic and plausibility to the claims that Al Franken was framed by some right-wing conspiracy.

And please don't try to actually argue it's because she's such a bold Resistance leader against Trump, most people didn't even know who she was prior to this, I only knew of her in passing and could tell you nothing about her, and if she disappeared off the face of the Earth, there would be zero impact on Trump's agenda or his or the Republicans' electoral prospects. The number of people it'd make more sense to target than her is well into the hundreds.

Makes even less sense considering she wasn’t even known much at all 10 years ago.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 06:53:50 AM by Brittain33 »

Or gay Democrats either, apparently

I'm fine with gay Democrats who disagree with me. It’s the Republicans who happily vote for candidates with and listen to pundits with the same prejudices who suddenly pretend they care about homophobia because they can take down a liberal African-American woman MSNBC host who I can’t take seriously.

If you live with prejudice as a fact of life, you learn to choose your battles. It's like when 10-15 years ago, recordings came out of Billy Graham agreeing with some of Nixon’s anti-Semitic comments...Jewish organizations gave it a pass because Graham was old by now and well respected, and there was no value in fighting that war. Joy Reid isn’t Billy Graham, and she *isn’t* responding to this appropriately IMO, but I don’t feel moved to join the Republicans with their pitchforks and torches.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »

I'm not going to be lectured on morals of any sort by those who reject the Bible as God's infallible word.

There!  Now I can reject other logical arguments out of hand just like you.

Care to back off a tad?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »

I'm not going to be lectured on morals of any sort by those who reject the Bible as God's infallible word.

There!  Now I can reject other logical arguments out of hand just like you.

Care to back off a tad?

The difference is that you can have morality if you aren’t religious—just with a different basis—but you can’t pretend about homophobia for one liberal when you think it’s just fine with your conservative friends and colleagues.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2018, 07:22:20 AM »

Regardless of if she did write them, it was over 10 years ago. I dont think it matters at this point.

Edit: This is coming from a gay man. Not a straight ally.

Regardless of if Trump said what he said on the Access Hollywood tape, it was over 10 years ago. I don't think it matters at this point.

Why one standard for Trump and one for Joy Reid?  Is it one standard for one's friends and another for one's enemies?  That's an ethical question.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:40 AM »

Regardless of if she did write them, it was over 10 years ago. I dont think it matters at this point.

Edit: This is coming from a gay man. Not a straight ally.

Regardless of if Trump said what he said on the Access Hollywood tape, it was over 10 years ago. I don't think it matters at this point.

Why one standard for Trump and one for Joy Reid?  Is it one standard for one's friends and another for one's enemies?  That's an ethical question

Trump is still abusing women and talking like an abuser, and famously never changes or learns anything. Joy Reid may still be a homophobe at heart, but she hasn’t publicly made comments like this in 10 years, and her partial apology on the Crist posts indicates change.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies