What kind of bias will the polls have this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:39:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What kind of bias will the polls have this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
A Republican bias

A Democratic bias

Polls will be accurate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: What kind of bias will the polls have this year?  (Read 560 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »

Do you think that the polls this year will overestimate Republican or Democratic support? For reference, polls had a fairly strong Republican bias in 2012, but a strong Democratic bias in both 2014 and 2016.

I think it’s likely that the polls have at least a slight Republican bias this year, since Democrats have more enthusiasm, though I could see polls being pretty accurate as well. I think some states like NV will have a Republican polling bias regardless of the bias of national polls (they overestimated Trump and Heck in NV despite underestimating Republicans elsewhere.)
UncleSam

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »

Polls have generally been pretty accurate for the major races thus far, outside of VA-Gov. so I agree - could see Republican bias, could see pretty accurate. Barring an enthusiasm boost I doubt polls will overestimate Ds unless turnout models get really screwy from the polls’ side.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »

I have a strong feeling they're underestimating the Democrats.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »

I don't think the polls are wrong w/ the house races. House dems aren't doing well in polls because 1) the dem party is very unpopular 2) No one knows who 80% of the challengers are. Name ID matters a lot in early polls. Incumbents are a lot more well known. And democrats will have a much easier job defining themselves and branding themselves effectively b/c they won't be compared to the unpopular, republican controlled Congress and presidency.

This isn't just a D thing - polls could be underestimating Senate republican challengers in WV/MT since no one really knows who Jenkins or Rosendale or whoever are.

Only polls I expect to be close to the actual result rn are North Dakota, Florida, and Tennessee, b/c everyone knows both of the candidates in those races pretty well. Also polls could be underestimating Beto b/c no one knows who Beto is

I do expect that once campaigns start, many dem challengers in the house (and rosen / possibly beto in the senate) will start to pull ahead.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »

In most cases, a democratic bias, like in 2016, but probably a slight republican bias in NV.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

The polls for individual races have been pretty accurate so far, but haven't been in line with what you would expect the generic ballot to be at for those races to end up as they did. So maybe come election night the Senate races will be pretty spot on while Democrats really overperform in the House where predictions are based more on national polls than individual districts?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies