I Made Another Tilt Blue Seat In Colorado
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:03:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I Made Another Tilt Blue Seat In Colorado
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What Do You Think Of This New District?
FF Idea
HP Idea
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: I Made Another Tilt Blue Seat In Colorado  (Read 888 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:51 AM »

The best part is that I barely interfered with current blue districts in Colorado while making this. Nearly all of this new Colorado 3rd congressional district is cobbled together from parts of the current Colorado cd's of 3,4, and 5. This would be a tossup seat with a slight blue tint on it. What do you guys think?

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »

I know Routt County and I think any crossing north of Rabbit Ears Pass is going to be closed in winter, and even Rabbit Ears isn't reliably open. Basically there's no way to get those Steamboat Springs Democrats into the seat and still link the rural counties in the northwest with the rest of the state if we consider road contiguity.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »

I know Routt County and I think any crossing north of Rabbit Ears Pass is going to be closed in winter, and even Rabbit Ears isn't reliably open. Basically there's no way to get those Steamboat Springs Democrats into the seat and still link the rural counties in the northwest with the rest of the state if we consider road contiguity.
Road contiguity is not a requirement for congressional mapmaking.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »

It should be if SCOTUS would rule appropriately. Ignoring connectedness is one of the best tools in the gerrymanderer's arsenal. I was glad when SCOTUS took a step in that direction in the VA case, throwing out the CD with lots of river crossings without a bridge. Now they need to apply that beyond cases of racial gerrymandering. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »

It should be if SCOTUS would rule appropriately. Ignoring connectedness is one of the best tools in the gerrymanderer's arsenal. I was glad when SCOTUS took a step in that direction in the VA case, throwing out the CD with lots of river crossings without a bridge. Now they need to apply that beyond cases of racial gerrymandering. 

How is your data processing project generating automated maps using your metrics coming along?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »

How is your data processing project generating automated maps using your metrics coming along?

We are waiting on a grant application, and expect to hear next month.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:49 AM »

Good luck. It would have been nice to have shipped this all off to SCOTUS, to help move Justice Kennedy along to the promise land. Use metrics like you have, and if there is departure from them, with one party controlling the process, the burden of proof is on them to show the departures were not done for partisan reasons. It is not really that hard to get from A to B.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies