The massive epidemic of domestic violence in police forces.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:45:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The massive epidemic of domestic violence in police forces.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The massive epidemic of domestic violence in police forces.  (Read 1647 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

http://womenandpolicing.com/violencefs.asp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Note that the 24% is specifically among more experienced officers and not all of them.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

My first husband was a cop, the mental abuse was pretty much non stop, telling me I'm ugly, stupid, etc. when he finally hit me and broke my jaw i was out of there that night and never went back.
I knew several other cop wives in the same situation.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »

My first husband was a cop, the mental abuse was pretty much non stop, telling me I'm ugly, stupid, etc. when he finally hit me and broke my jaw i was out of there that night and never went back.
I knew several other cop wives in the same situation.

That's an incredibly unfortunate situation you were in. I'm just glad that you were able to escape it and not return.

Do you believe this epidemic of domestic violence by police forces is attributable to (a) the difficulty and stress of the job, (b) that the type of people who'd be inclined to domestic abuse are disproportionately likely to become police officers, or (c) a good mix of both?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »

All of the above.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »

Committing domestic violence should set off a red flag about anyone in any profession. But it's especially unsettling to see it in a profession like this.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »

At a certain point, this is probably unavoidable.  We require Police Officers to possess the necessary strength and aggression to subdue relentless, violent criminals.  They are, effectively, on duty 24/7.  Domestic Violence by Police Officers should not be tolerated, and it should not be covered up, but what we ask of Police Officers in the name of Public Safety is more than most folks are capable of giving.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »

At a certain point, this is probably unavoidable.  We require Police Officers to possess the necessary strength and aggression to subdue relentless, violent criminals.  They are, effectively, on duty 24/7.  Domestic Violence by Police Officers should not be tolerated, and it should not be covered up, but what we ask of Police Officers in the name of Public Safety is more than most folks are capable of giving.

Or maybe they need better testing to weed out the psycho/sociopaths that the job draws?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

Sucks, they need better psychiatric care...and honestly, being a cop now is much harder than being a cop 60 years ago. Inner city crime is out of control.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »

I think there is a, perhaps small, subset of police officers who think that just because they're cops they can do whatever they want and get away with it, along with extreme masculinity that probably explains this.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »

The consensus reaction seems to be, “OH WELL THAT’S THE WAY IT IS.”
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

I think there is a, perhaps small, subset of police officers who think that just because they're cops they can do whatever they want and get away with it, along with extreme masculinity that probably explains this.
TIL 40% is "perhaps small".
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

There is a "perhaps small" subset of police officers that are decent.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »

lol nah
I mean 40% is 60% less than 100%, so that doesn't seem like a huge problem to me. 60 <40
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »

Sucks, they need better psychiatric care...and honestly, being a cop now is much harder than being a cop 60 years ago. Inner city crime is out of control.

No, crime rates in most cities have been declining for decades.    A few exceptions like Baltimore and such exist, but for the most part it's a lot better.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »

According to the footnotes those figures are over 25 years old, when violent crime in the US was at its high point.   Hopefully things are not as bad now.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »

Police used to cover for each other in these matters, and were fairly shameless about it.  Yes, a few cops might give a partner a beat-down for being stupid, but that was keeping the matter "in house".

It's harder, however, for police to keep these matters in house, because battered police spouses have sued municipalities for not enforcing domestic violence laws and won major verdicts.  Police are also scrutinized far more than ever before, and far more effectively. 

Civil liability has been the catalyst for most of the progress made on the domestic violence problem over the years.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »

Dark triad attracted to powerful profession. News at 11.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2018, 09:34:10 AM by DavidB. »

This attitude is why Middle America will continue to prefer Republicans, despite them not actually caring about ordinary people.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »

If you're anti-cop, that reveals more about yourself and your views on crime...than about them.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2018, 10:58:33 AM by Scott🦋 »

This attitude is why Middle America will continue to prefer Republicans, despite them not actually caring about ordinary people.

My opinions are my opinions.  I don't care who they offend or don't offend.

Maybe the police in this country should stop acting like little kings and start acting like public servants.  Then they wouldn't be criticized as much.

If you're anti-cop, that reveals more about yourself and your views on crime...than about them.

maeks u think
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »

Define "anti-cop" for us, please.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »

Much like the police.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »

Many cops are perfectly decent, hard-working, good-natured individuals who are driven by good motivations and seek to earnestly help their communities.
The problem is, many aren't like that; and it's folks like these who are steering the wheel. Cop culture is hostile to reform and the since the good cops don't raise up their hand or aren't forceful enough, the bad cops rule the roost unchallenged.
We need to get sympathetic and sensible members in the law enforcement community on the same page as activists in order to make things better for everyone. If you remove either, then no big, lasting change is possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies