What NYC borough is most similar to Brooklyn?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:52:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What NYC borough is most similar to Brooklyn?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What borough is most similar to Brooklyn?
The Bronx

Manhattan

Queens

Staten Island

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: What NYC borough is most similar to Brooklyn?  (Read 1363 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »

Is it the Bronx (largely developed around the same time, similar levels of density), Manhattan ("on the map" for hipsters and the cultural elite), Queens (share the same landmass, hub for immigrants) or Staten Island (lol)?

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »

Queens I would think.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »

Manhattan wealth-wise.   Culturally probably Queens.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »

Manhattan wealth-wise.   Culturally probably Queens.

I'd reverse that - Brooklyn is more "Manhattan" like culturally than economically I would think.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »

Do you mean Brooklyn the neighborhood, or Brooklyn the city-county? If the former, easily Manhattan. If the latter then Queens, with the southern flatbush similar to Staten.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:33 AM »

Do you mean Brooklyn the neighborhood, or Brooklyn the city-county? If the former, easily Manhattan. If the latter then Queens, with the southern flatbush similar to Staten.

The borough of Brooklyn.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »

There is no neighborhood called Brooklyn.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »

^ "Brooklyn Heights"? Which is totally not real Brooklyn.

I would say definitely not Queens. To me, it will probably be Staten Island as insulting as that sounds.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »

I would say definitely not Queens. To me, it will probably be Staten Island as insulting as that sounds.

Why do you say that?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

Why do you say that?

Because I am actually picturing the half of the landmass that I lived in and everyone else considers literally two neighborhoods stereotyped in the media and the five or so gentrifying ones. (Or simply geography)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »

Here is a rough map of the divisions of Brooklyn, and why one can think the best comparable county is Staten.

The south is very similar to the Island, filled with white ethnics, Hassidim, and former soviet citizens. It isn't uniformally Republican - see bay ridge, but it is mainly. When I was last here in sheepshead, most of the housing looked like single lot and small apartment style neighborhood housing rather then large apartment blocks. This region is very much a minority of the county.

In the west is 'Brooklyn' or the area at least around Downtown Brooklyn. This is gentrifying, white, hipster, and wealthy - though not all in one stereotypical person. very much synonymous with Manhattan across the river.

The rest, and majority of the county is minorities, mainly Africans and Caribbeans. This is most comparable to Queens, especially parts like Jamaica.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »

Shouldn't Williamsburg be appended to the downtown Brooklyn zone? If not, it won't be long until it should be. Is Greenpoint gentrifying?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »

Here is a rough map of the divisions of Brooklyn, and why one can think the best comparable county is Staten.

The south is very similar to the Island, filled with white ethnics, Hassidim, and former soviet citizens. It isn't uniformally Republican - see bay ridge, but it is mainly. When I was last here in sheepshead, most of the housing looked like single lot and small apartment style neighborhood housing rather then large apartment blocks. This region is very much a minority of the county.

In the west is 'Brooklyn' or the area at least around Downtown Brooklyn. This is gentrifying, white, hipster, and wealthy - though not all in one stereotypical person. very much synonymous with Manhattan across the river.

The rest, and majority of the county is minorities, mainly Africans and Caribbeans. This is most comparable to Queens, especially parts like Jamaica.

If you're going to do this, Prospect Heights, Clinton Hill, Williamsburg and Greenpoint clearly belong in the "stereotypical Brooklyn" region rather than the "poor and minority Brooklyn" region. Williamsburg is the most stereotypically Brooklyn of all neighborhoods, much more so than even Park Slope these days, especially as the stereotypes of Brooklyn have evolved from wealthy stroller-pushing vegan lesbians to over-the-top early 20s hipster party nonsense.

Southern Brooklyn is not nearly as uniformly white these days. The Chinese and Arab populations have increased significantly, to the point where there are certainly more Chinese than any other single ethnic group in the area, other than perhaps Jews. And that region is much more densely populated than anything in Staten Island, though bears a significant amount in common with parts of Queens twenty or so years ago. Plus, there are few Jews or eastern Europeans in Staten Island; it's mostly Italians, who have largely abandoned southern Brooklyn entirely.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »

Shouldn't Williamsburg be appended to the downtown Brooklyn zone? If not, it won't be long until it should be. Is Greenpoint gentrifying?

More like gentrified. Greenpoint looks terrible but is quite wealthy these days. And Williamsburg even more so, other than select spots like Hasidic South Williamsburg.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »

Queens or Staten Island. Manhattan continues to be the best borough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies