How about these Phillies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:45:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How about these Phillies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Split Do you prefer?
PA-1 Northeast + South Philly
Broad Street Boundary
North/South Division
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: How about these Phillies?  (Read 876 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

These are three possible ways to divide Philadelphia. Two districts will be in Philadelphia, with an area in Southwest Philadelphia (generally south of Market) being attached to Delaware. PA-3 is unchanged in all versions.

Option 1

PA-1 D+18.90 A 62, B 17, H 10, As 8, O 2
PA-2 D+42.89 B 58, A 24, H 12, As 4, O 2
PA-3 D+15.15 A 64, B 26, As 6, H 3, O 1

This links South Philadelphia and Northeast Philadelphia. It has the maximum partisan difference, though these are all overwhelmingly Democrat. This maximized the concentration of blacks in PA-2 (58% vs. 17% in PA-1) and also has the maximum Asian differentiation (8% in PA-1, 4% in PA-2).

Option 2

PA-1 D+23.69 A 49, B 24, H 19, As 7, O 2
PA-2 D+39,46 B 51, A 38, As 6, H 4, O 2

This uses Broad Street in North Philadelphia as the dividing line between the districts and places South Philadelphia in PA-2. It reduces the black population of PA-2 by removing the areas immediately east of Broad Street. This maximizes the differentiation of the Hispanic population which is generally east of Broad Street.

Option 3

PA-1 D+26.62 A 48, B 34, H 9, As 6, O 2
PA-2 D+33.89 B 41, A 38, H 15, As 6, O 2

This more of a north/south division, with more compact districts. It is the most balanced politically and racially. It is the most likely to elect two black representatives, as PA-1 is narrowly majority-minority.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

What are the building block units used in those maps and what do the top and bottom numbers in them signify?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »

What are the building block units used in those maps and what do the top and bottom numbers in them signify?
The top number is the ward number. The bottom number is the ward population relative to the quota, multiplied by 1000.

Example, Ward 1 in South Philadelphia has a population of 18,879, or 0.027 quotas.

Each ward consists of 10 to 50 divisions, or election precincts. I had thought that the wards had some historical significance, but I'm not so sure now. The low numbered wards are scattered about the city in a way that suggests they might have been an original ward from which additional wards had been spawned. Most of the highest-numbered wards are scattered towards the edge of the city.

City council districts (there are 10) are supposed to be, per the city charter, comprised of whole wards, but it appears that is only somewhat followed. In the city charter (adopted in 1951) there are council districts specified. District 1 is wards 1-15 and 30. So at one time, adjacent wards were consecutively numbered. Other districts at that time might only be comprised of two wards. So then as now, wards varied in population.

So wards have been changed between 1951 and now.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »

how do you get those divisions with gray lines? i saw your NJ maps had one with municipality lines too
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2018, 07:07:05 AM by jimrtex »

how do you get those divisions with gray lines? i saw your NJ maps had one with municipality lines too
They're black.

The Census Bureau releases shapefiles for VTD's (or voting districts), which in most states correspond to election precincts. In Pennsylvania (or Philadelphia at least) VTD's correspond to ward divisions (I assume that these are not the divisions you are referring to). The Census Bureau also provides population data for VTD's, particularly racial data. The reason that the Census Bureau provides data on VTD's is to assist redistricting in states. In theory, if congressional, legislative, and other districts were assembled from election precincts, you would not have to to move voters into new precincts/polling places after the politicians finish gerrymandering. You simply distribute new ballots and tell the voters they've always been part of Eastasia, even though they were previously part of Eurasia.

In QGIS you can display a shapefile (the simplest way to do this is to drag the .shp file into the map pane. Each feature in a shapefile is represented by its geographical coordinates. For area shapefiles, this is a polygon (or if there are detached areas or islands, polygons). Each feature also has a set of attributes associated with it. These can be unlimited. For example, a State might have associated with it the capital, its population, legislative alignment, etc.

These attributes are stored in a .dbf file (Dbase file). A database may be characterized as a table, records, and fields (data base speak) or worksheets, rows, and columns (spreadsheet speak). QGIS knows that if you add somename.shp to a map, to look for somename.dbf  associated with it.

You can join tables (add attributes to the feature). An easy way to do this is to save a spreadsheet as a .csv file (comma separated text), where one of the fields has the same value in both original .dbf file and the .csv file. The Census Bureau assigns unique ID numbers to each area, and these are typically used.

It happens that Philadelphia division names include the ward number (e.g. Division 10-12, is Division 12 of Ward 10). So you can create a spreadsheet with Division population data, and the ward number, save it as a .csv file and join it with the original .shp file (actually a copy of the original, since you probably want to preserve the file from the Census Bureau).

You can then display the division layer using the added attributes. For example this chloropleth was created displaying the ratio of Asian population to Total population in each division.

QGIS can also merge features based on some attribute. Since I had associated ward numbers with each division, I could merge the divisions into wards, creating a new layer. I can now display the ward layer in a number of ways,

Here random colors have been assigned by ward number. When I am producing a final map, I may have to edit color, so that there are not adjacent districts with different colors. In these maps, I have also thickened the boundaries. QGIS can also use different fill patterns, such as cross-hatches or dot patterns of different density.

This map was produced using Congressional district numbers that I had assigned to the wards. Other than the colors, the border thicknesses, the lack of labels, and the non-transparency, this is the same content as my third proposed division.

This map displays the ratio of black population to total population (black percentage) using 10 color levels.

In the maps that you had inquired about, I had set transparency to 50%, which permits the base layer (Bing road map) to display. This makes the colors less intense, and the borders grayer. Also, the contrast with the labels causes the borders to be perceived as being grayer. When I turn labels off, the borders are seen as being darker.

When I display a statewide map, I turn the borders off completely. Seen at a small scale, all ward boundaries make the area appear much blacker. In the maps above, Montco has county subdivisions, but I have disabled display of the borders (the portion of Montco attached to Bucks is outside this view).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »

Am I the only one who clicked on this to talk about baseball?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:58 PM »

No, I was gonna talk about how the Red Sox are the best team ever (by winning percentage) to be no-hit.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 01:28:30 AM »

No, I was gonna talk about how the Red Sox are the best team ever (by winning percentage) to be no-hit.
The A's left town 63 years ago. The Phillies Red Donahue did no-hit the Boston Beaneaters in 1898.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies