"I Miss Him Every Day"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:22:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  "I Miss Him Every Day"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "I Miss Him Every Day"  (Read 6069 times)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:12:11 PM »

"I Miss Him Every Day" - Caroline Kennedy 2020, and her fight to end the Kennedy Curse

Amidst a crowded, popular field of candidates in 2020, the former Ambassador to Japan seeks to become the Democratic Party nominee and defeat President Donald Trump.

Can she overcome the juggernauts of Sanders, Harris, Gillibrand, and Trump - or will the ghosts of her family's political past haunt her?

Coming Soon.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

The Announcement

April 10th, 2019.

11:58 AM

As she grabbed her black bag, Caroline thought of her father. What she was about to do, so reminiscent of what he did on January 2nd, 1960. Hopefully, she would have just as much, if not more success. For years, she has dreamed of this moment. An entrance to the national political scene. That seems like something which should be an easy thing for a Kennedy, considering the careers of her family members and relatives. She herself was a former Ambassador to Japan. But no work assigned by President Obama could prepare her for this moment.

Caroline entered the large room, inside of the National Press Club in Washington, DC. As she came through the entryway, her stage was unveiled - Kennedy 2020 logos everywhere. This was finally her moment.

"Good morning, my fellow Americans. Today, our nation and the world face many challenges. These require the utmost dignity, determination, and resistance of our authoritarian, problematic Trump administration. As former Ambassador to Japan, I worked closely with the Obama Administration, and the many officials affiliated with it. Today, I'm proud to announce that I'm putting what I learned to the test - and entering the 2020 election, seeking the nomination of the Democratic Party."

The crowd erupted. A Kennedy - finally back in the Presidential race. The very daughter of John F. Kennedy himself, in fact. While she was proud of this, she knew what weight and honor the "Kennedy" name would carry. She also remembered the curse.

The problematic, haunting life of Rosemary Kennedy. The death of her Father. Bobby's assassination. Chappaquiddick. John Jr. Ted's passing. And most recently, Kara and Mary.

She didn't know whether to, in her mind, ask herself if she was next, or to continue her speech. After a brief pause, Caroline continued, to the crowd's pleasure.

They loved it. She knew she wasn't the most popular or powerful Democrat. She knew that she was being crushed by Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, and Kirsten Gillibrand in the polls. Caroline knew that her chances were low, and the struggles were plenty. This primary was going to be a tough road, and she hadn't even begun to consider the General Election yet. But something special happened that afternoon in the National Press Club.

"After all of the frustration, sadness, and anger we hold toward our current administration, we must remember the light of opportunity. The promise of hope. The positivity and optimism which every challenge presents us with. Donald Trump - you are merely a bump in this nation's road to progress. In this primary, and in the general election, we will flatten you; and make a steadfast sprint to the America of our dreams. An America for everyone. Thank you, and God Bless America."

As she headed back to the private area, cameras flashing, she felt the vibration of her phone in her pocket.

A text, from Massachusetts Representative Joseph Kennedy III - her own relative.

"Good speech, but check DT's twitter. Call me if you need anything."

She opened twitter, and wasn't exactly shocked.

She shut down her phone, and took a deep breath.

This was it. Election season.

MycroftCZ

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »

Go on.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:33:12 PM »

The Field Takes Shape

May and June of 2019.

Caroline's campaign announcement was not the first. She joined early candidate Maryland Representative John Delaney, Former Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe who announced his campaign in November of 2018, and Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro; who announced his campaign in December of 2018.

Her announcement sparked a rash of campaign launches, which created perhaps the most competitive field in Democratic Party history.

• Former Ambassador Caroline Kennedy
  • Maryland Representative John Delaney
  • Former Governor Terry McAuliffe
  • Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro
  • North Dakota Senator Heidi Heitkamp
  • California Senator Kamala Harris
  • New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
  • Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren
  • New York Governor Andrew Cuomo
  • Former Attorney General Eric Holder
  • Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley
  • Facebook Executive Sheryl Sandberg
  • Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
  • California Representative Adam Schiff

As the list grew more competitive through the Spring, Caroline began to grow worried. At the time of the speech, her poll numbers surged, and she was arguably one of the top three candidates in the party. Now, in June, she had fallen to fifth place - behind Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Julian Castro, and Elizabeth Warren.

Her campaign trail consisted of visiting the mid-to-low income cities, not at all aiming for the popular places like New York City, Los Angeles, or coastal Virginia yet. Instead, her travels consisted of a rotation of Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Georgia. due to its high delegate count. Caroline grew critical of Kirsten Gillibrand's past with the Blue Dog Democrats, Julian Castro's ineffectiveness as HUD Secretary, and the allegations of corruption against Kamala Harris while she was Attorney General of California.

However - Caroline had met her match in Elizabeth Warren. No matter what the Kennedy campaign said, did, or tweeted, Caroline could not jump the prestigious, popular Senator from Massachusetts. How ironic - she thought, that the state which served as a home for her political dynasty of a family wouldn't flock to her.

Warren would be her closest opponent. Kamala Harris was gaining the attraction of minorities, while Kirsten Gillibrand and Julian Castro suffered some gaffes along the campaign trail.

In the first three Democratic Party Debates - Caroline placed a consistent 3rd place. Falling just behind Kamala Harris, and the victory - Elizabeth Warren.

It was now January of 2020,

...only two weeks before the Iowa caucus.

Caroline was second place in Iowa polling. Still, behind Warren - her campaign embraced the progressive wing of the Democratic Party - seeking to shift Kennedy's career to that of a progressive. Due to the corporate nature of the field and Warren's past, it worked - and her poll numbers began to come close to that of Warren. 14 days before Iowa - Kennedy and Warren were virtually tied.

That was before a familiar foe of the Democratic Party entered the political scene once again.

WikiLeaks had struck once again, and leaked confidential emails from Elizabeth Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand, and the campaign staff of Julian Castro.

It was Kennedy's time to seize the spotlight.

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2018, 06:24:13 PM by MAGugh »

Division

January of 2020.

It was the evening of the Iowa Democratic primary, and the headquarters of the Kennedy campaign was bustling. Polling had them at second place, but after the newest leaks came out about Warren, Gillibrand, and Castro; Kennedy surged.

By 11:00 PM, mainstream media projected that Caroline Kennedy had won the Iowa caucus. She placed ahead of Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg made a surprising leap to fourth place.

Texts from friends and family began to pour in, congratulating her on her victory. Her supporters took over social media, in an effort last seen during the campaign of Bernie Sanders back in 2016. North Dakota Senator Heidi Heitkamp and California Representative Adam Schiff had offered endorsements and campaign withdrawals to help support Caroline - which were, of course, accepted.

Her victory speech was short but meaningful. She congratulated the Iowa voters, the loud crowd intensifying the Des Moines ballroom.

Though by the time her speech was over, the world of politics was shaken up once again.

The day D.C. feared. The firing of Special Counsel Investigator Robert Mueller. It was already bad enough that Mueller wasn't making any large developments in the case, but now, President Trump had almost fully eliminated any chance that he was to be penalized for activities during the 2016 election. With Attorney General Sessions gone as well, Trump was launching a full judicial takeover. He was clean. Free.

February 2020

Americans from all walks of life and political ideology took to the streets in the coming days. Riot police had been deployed in D.C. and other large cities to ensure safety.

America was coming apart at the seems, even before the Democrats could nominate a candidate to run against Trump.

But coming apart was the Kennedy political family as well.

Two weeks before New Hampshire, Joseph Kennedy III publicly endorsed Elizabeth Warren at a rally in New Hampshire. A possible future Massachusetts Governor, Kennedy knew he had to gain the respect and admiration of the biggest Democratic name in the State. He had no option but to endorse Warren, as much as it killed him to ignore the very woman, Caroline, who he had grown up knowing and loving.

This enraged her. Her own family would sell out, to ensure their own political future, to destroy that of Caroline's.

Caroline contacted Heitkamp and Schiff, who came to New Hampshire; and made appearances with Caroline in Nevada and South Carolina as well.

The polls weren't in her favor. Caroline was 2nd in New Hampshire, 2nd in South Carolina, and 4th in Nevada. She wasn't exactly saddened by these projections but was hoping that she would not fall victim to a post-Iowa downfall.

And she didn't.

Caroline won New Hampshire, and South Carolina - and placed third behind Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren in Nevada.

Caroline now led the Democratic Primaries, going into the very first Super Tuesday. Second place - her rival, Elizabeth Warren. In third place - Kamala Harris, the progressive Senator from California who was slowly eating away at Warren's momentum.

She knew the road ahead would not be easy, but she knew that the corruption of the Trump administration would require the best Democrat to fight Trump. Not the best Democrat in their ability to raise money or gain media attention, but the best Democrat to get inside of the head of Donald Trump.

And Caroline knew that was her.

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »

1. Your last post seems to have 2019 listed a bunch of times, when you probably intended to list 2020.

2. What was the 2018 result in this timeline?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »

1. Your last post seems to have 2019 listed a bunch of times, when you probably intended to list 2020.

Mistake fixed, thanks for noticing! Lol

This timeline is fairly assuming the "Blue Wave" happened. Notably, Heitkamp and Warren won, and Texas did flip Blue.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »

This timeline is fairly assuming the "Blue Wave" happened. Notably, Heitkamp and Warren won, and Texas did flip Blue.

Exact Senate/House/Gubernatorial Results?

I assume Senate is D+4 here based on what you said (defend everything, take TN, TX, AZ, and NV).
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »

Exact Senate/House/Gubernatorial Results?

I assume Senate is D+4 here based on what you said (defend everything, take TN, TX, AZ, and NV).

I don't intend on mentioning many other people besides who is already involved/mentioned, though some new figures will make appearances during the running mate search.

TN, TX, AZ, and NV all flipped. The House flipped Blue as well, though Governors remained fairly Red.

I didn't really think about addressing the midterms, though I'll remember it for future stories.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »

I guess Franken's misconduct wasn't exposed. I wonder if it will be.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 06:50:03 PM »

Why do you say that?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »

Why do you say that?

He is running for President in this timeline circa 2020.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »

Why do you say that?

He never said that anywhere in this timeline.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »

Why do you say that?

No, no - the image was just a compilation of potential candidates. The candidates listed below it in the bulleted list were the entirety of the list. Franken's career is done, lol
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »

Why do you say that?

No, no - the image was just a compilation of potential candidates. The candidates listed below it in the bulleted list were the entirety of the list. Franken's career is done, lol

I swear I saw his name in there. I must need new glasses. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far, by the way.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »

Why do you say that?

I swear I saw his name in there. I must need new glasses. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far, by the way.

Thank you! I've never written one before, but these timelines have always interested me. I'm looking to write a few more too.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Beto 2020 story? 🤔
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »

We Three Queens

March to June of 2020.

Caroline Kennedy, Elizabeth Warren, and Kamala Harris were the only three candidates to win states in the 2020 Democratic Primary.

The DNC, to be held in Birmingham, Alabama - was to this year be heavily contested. The trailing third-place Warren and second-place Harris, who was only 2 delegates behind Caroline Kennedy - refused to concede their campaigns.

Warren was only able to take home the Atlantic Northeast, minus New Hampshire and Connecticut which went to Kennedy; though Warren was victorious in Virginia as well as Ohio.

Second-place Kamala Harris took home wins in Illinois, Hawaii, California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, the Southeast, and won Democrats Abroad.

Kennedy, having won the rest of the states, led by just 2 delegates.

Warren received endorsements from mainly establishment, corporate Democrats. The Clintons, the Obamas, Al Gore, generally the most powerful and influential Democrats - although her delegate count did not reflect that.

Harris received endorsements from mainly progressive Democrats, such as Bernie Sanders, Tulsi Gabbard, Ro Khanna, Jay Inslee, the Justice Democrats, but did receive the endorsement of New Jersey Senator Cory Booker.

Caroline received the fewest endorsements, mostly coming from the center-left. Jason Kander, Steve Bullock, John Bel Edwards, Lincoln Chafee, and Martin O'Malley namely.

As to who would come out of the convention the victor was anyone's guess.

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »

LOL at the establishment endorsing Warren and the progressives endorsing Harris. If anything it would be the other way around.

Generally speaking, the Progressive Left calls out Warren's flaws a lot more than Harris'. Sure, both have corruption in their past, but Warren's attempts at being the next Bernie are far more ridiculous than that of Harris'.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2018, 07:35:55 PM by MAGugh »

Saturday, July 18th, 2020

Breaking News - Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) rumored to concede and endorse Caroline Kennedy

CNN reports that Senator Elizabeth Warren, after reportedly meeting with former Secretary Hillary Clinton, and former President Barack Obama, has decided that on the first night of the 2020 Democratic Party convention; she will concede her campaign for the Presidency and endorse former Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy.

This news comes after reports of infighting within the Warren campaign, and fundraising issues that began during the final few weeks of primaries.

More on the story tonight.

"We just feel like Caroline is the best pick, as compared to Kamala".

Warren felt dead inside.

She knew she was the DNC's girl in 2020. Hillary, Barack, Nancy, and Chuck were going to ensure she defeated Trump in November. Donors and SuperPACs adored her. The path was clear after Kamala went against the grain and endorsed a more progressive-leaning attitude. In her eyes, Kamala's foolishness was going to win her the primaries.

And in her mind, she would have went all the way; had it been for Caroline Kennedy.

She had only spoken to Caroline a few times before in the past, mainly at small, Democratic Party events in Massachusetts.

She never imagined the day where she'd be on CNN advocating for the former Ambassador to Japan to become the party's nominee.

But here she was.

Maybe a V.P. slot was a possibility. Elizabeth didn't ask for it, but the thought of doing so was in her mind, admittedly.

"Senator - if Caroline Kennedy, or Kamala Harris, do not defeat Trump - do you know if you'll run in 2024?", asked host Jake Tapper.

"You know, Jake...I don't know about that. Right now, I'm more concerned about getting a Democrat elected".

July 20th, 2020. The first night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention.

"Tonight, I end my campaign for the Presidency. At this moment in our nation's history, we need a strong, bold Democratic candidate to fight for our nation. One who can truly tap into, and relate, to all Americans. I hereby concede my campaign and ask that my delegates please support the next President of the United States, Caroline Kennedy!"

The reaction was flat. The feeling of opening a soda, and hoping for an exciting, refreshing caffeine reaction - but getting nothing. Legacy Arena was packed with mainly Kamala Harris supporters, who had come out in droves to support the woman who won the very state which the DNC took place in.

The awkwardness only increased in the coming days.

The remainder of Day 1 through Day 3 was filled with conflicting, seemingly divisive speeches. While the 2016 DNC preached unity and togetherness, the speakers of the 2020 DNC could simply not agree as to who should have been the nominee. Celebrities and social figures leaned toward Kamala Harris, while elected officials leaned toward Caroline.

Caroline's days were filled with anxiousness.

She knew that the numbers suggested a win on the first ballot, but she also knew that all hell could unfold, and progressives could launch a rebellion against her.

All she wanted to do was get through this as swiftly as possible.

Thursday, July 23rd, 2020. The fourth night of the 2020 Democratic Convention.

Voting Begins.

States went one by one, as Caroline held her stared attentively at the TV backstage. Her small room, filled with friends, family, staff, and some of her closest campaign surrogates - all watched as the states yelled out their delegate counts.

She hadn't seen Senator Kamala Harris at all that day - until it was California's turn.

And there she was, on the convention floor.

The room grew silent, as the TV volume grew higher.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »

Thursday, July 23rd, 2020. The fourth night of the 2020 Democratic Convention.

Voting has begun.

As Kamala Harris approached the microphone, the tension and anxiousness in the Kennedy campaign room could be cut with a knife.

"Chairperson Perez. On behalf of my State of California, I move that the convention suspend the procedural rules and suspend the further conduct of the roll call vote. All votes cast by the delegates be counted, and that I move for former Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy, to be selected by this convention, by acclamation, as the nominee of the Democratic Party of the President of the United States."

She looked just as artificially happy was Elizabeth Warren appeared on CNN previously, but her tone was authentic enough to gather the support of the opposing delegation.

Caroline Kennedy had won the nomination.

Shedding tears of happiness in her campaign room, staff, surrogates, and friends and family celebrated the victory. Writers went to work on the final details of a victory speech to be given tomorrow evening.

The first person to contact Caroline - Joseph Kennedy III, with an apology.

If it wasn't already obvious to Caroline, he admitted that the endorsement of Elizabeth Warren was to merely build up his own Massachusetts political capital, and he apologized - agreeing to support her in the campaign.

Caroline accepted his apology, and before she knew it, Secret Service and DNC officials filled the room.

There they were. Caroline's best friends from now until November. They had the resources and tools to win her the election, but Caroline knew she had to play their game.

Chairperson Tom Perez and Deputy Chairperson Keith Ellison congratulated Caroline, offering words of support for the challenge she was going to face in the coming months.

"On the topic of a running mate, we'd really like this decision to be made ASAP, before your speech, Caroline.", said Perez, as he handed Caroline a folded piece of paper.

On the paper, three portraits, and their names.

SENATOR KAMALA HARRIS (D-CA)

SENATOR ELIZABETH WARREN (D-MA)

MRS. SHERYL SANDBERG

"Just suggestions. Catch you later, Caroline." Perez left, walking past a door-holding Ellison.

Caroline wasn't impressed.

It was different than her own shortlist, to say the least.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »

(Bonus Post!)

Kennedy Campaign Vice Presidential Running Mate Shortlist

Missouri Secretary of State Jason Kander

Mrs. Chelsea Clinton

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard

Rep. Seth Moulton