Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:13:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: Anti-Semitism in UK Labour megathread  (Read 32720 times)
cp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2018, 12:23:41 PM by cp »

You know what, I'm not even gonna argue here anymore. This thread is absolutely infested with antisemites of the worst kind. Even actual Nazis are less annoying and intellectually dishonest than some of the people who pop in here on the regular. Absolutely disgusting.

[Edit: removed snarky-seeming comment]

I'm sorry if I crossed a line, but I do not think I've been intellectually dishonest (I can't speak for everyone else, obviously). This is a serious issue and I try to argue my perspective respectfully and factually. If I've not succeeded in doing so then that is on me.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »

I'm agreeing with the exact point you're making. I'm just repeating what I've seen many Labour members say.

As posters on here will know I've never been a Corbynite, and I've certainly never defend, or deflect from the antisemitism in Labour.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, then Smiley I'll keep my post up since I think it's a good point to the many posters who DO talk about conflating Zionism and Jews.

As I said before, I don't know Ilhan Omar, I thought she had a change of heart and I think everyone deserve another chance, I was wrong...

Don't worry; I'm not accusing you of anything. You're the last person I'd accuse of excusing antisemites.

Tangentially, I've noticed the rhetoric denouncing Corbyn over this incident has been decidedly more shrill than before.

Case in point.

I don't think that shrillness is necessarily bad. As a member of a minority group, I think I absolutely have every right to panic when one of the two major political parties of an important ally and nuclear power gets very soft on antisemitism, to the point of barely-concealed dogwhistles of the sort that, previously, lead to the slaughter of said group.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

Years ago I might have agreed about shrillness not being necessarily bad, or rather, ineffective, counterproductive, and distracting. But a decade of escalating shrillness by progressives in the US and the UK did sweet  all to move those countries in their direction, and were worse than useless in stopping Brexit and Trump. I don't deny that volume and agitation can be useful, but I am increasingly dubious about their effectiveness.

As to the softening on antisemitism leading to slaughter point, I think that mischaracterizes the nature and the extent of what's been going on in the Labour Party (and the UK more generally). Much of what has been attributed to Corbyn/Labour as antisemitism is legitimate criticism of Israel. That which isn't has been roundly denounced by most of the party, and the leadership has acted - slowly, ham fistedly, arrogantly, and insufficiently, to be sure, but they have acted.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »

It would be like Prince Harry's visit to Auschwitz after he was caught wearing a Nazi armband at a costume party.

It worked for Harry, ultimately. Everyone loves him now.
EPG
« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »

If you want to make excuses for him, excuses can be made for him. But he is one video away from being at the same level as Donald Trump; he's still at the dog whistle stage, where some of them are good people.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »

Tangentially, I've noticed the rhetoric denouncing Corbyn over this incident has been decidedly more shrill than before.

Case in point.
Love the tone policing towards a literal Israeli when this debate is ultimately about whether it's cool for people to say Israel doesn't have a right to exist (hint: it isn't).

So hypocritical for Europeans to argue that Israel wouldn't have a right to exist in the first place, when they live comfortably in nation-states with quite a history themselves. And for Brits to argue that Israel is bad because it would be rooted in colonialism takes a special amount of historical illiteracy and arrogance, on quite a few levels. I would love to know Corbyn's opinion of the Irgun.

Love how you assumed I'm British based on an Atlas avatar.

This thread is getting super heated, but this comment did crack me up irl.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2018, 05:19:14 PM »

He really shouldn't have made a comment like that, and probably should stop using the word zionist, but he was only talking about those who had protested a Palestinian speaker.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2018, 06:06:33 AM »

He really shouldn't have made a comment like that, and probably should stop using the word zionist, but he was only talking about those who had protested a Palestinian speaker.

Coincidentally, that's exactly what he said in his 'defense':

"In a statement issued on Friday night, Corbyn said he had used the term Zionist “in the accurate political sense and not as a euphemism for Jewish people”.

He added: “I am now more careful with how I might use the term ‘Zionist’ because a once self-identifying political term has been increasingly hijacked by antisemites as code for Jews.”

Corbyn insisted he had “defended the Palestinian ambassador in the face of what I thought were deliberate misrepresentations by people for whom English was a first language, when it isn’t for the ambassador”.

Link
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »

Anyway, my other hot take is that the Israel-Palestine conflict and more specifically, its course since 1967 has fundamentally confused the “Western” Left’s politics and driven many of its adherents to the point of madness. I’m sure this observation is irrelevant to the thread though, so apologies for posting it.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2018, 06:51:44 PM by Chairface Chippendale »

So, the Zionist position is support Israel or we'll smear you into oblivion? I suppose Noam Chomsky is also an anti-Semite?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #235 on: August 25, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »

So, the Zionist position is support Israel or we'll smear you into oblivion? I suppose Noam Chomsky is also an anti-Semite?

It is remarkably easy to criticize Israel without being anti-semitic. Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to reach that bar.

Really sure you want to go to bat for the guy insisting Jews aren't proper citizens if they don't renounce Israel, who is currently being cheered by actual Nazis for speaking "Truth to Jewish power"?
EPG
« Reply #236 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »

Look at yourself, this is how people whip themselves up into supporting Trump.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »

It is remarkably easy to criticize Israel without being anti-semitic. Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to reach that bar.

Really sure you want to go to bat for the guy insisting Jews aren't proper citizens if they don't renounce Israel, who is currently being cheered by actual Nazis for speaking "Truth to Jewish power"?

If anyone said this about Islamists there would be no controversy whatsoever. Many people in the conservative right-wing do that on a daily basis. Yes, Corbyn's comments were wrong but it was used in reference to those that tried to shut down on the freedom of speech of a Palestinian Ambassador criticising Isreal.

Till, Noam Chomsky is a raving anti-Semite as he has the exact same opinions.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »

If anyone said this about Islamists there would be no controversy whatsoever. Many people in the conservative right-wing do that on a daily basis. Yes, Corbyn's comments were wrong but it was used in reference to those that tried to shut down on the freedom of speech of a Palestinian Ambassador criticising Isreal.

And this would be seen as a reasonable defense if it wasn't for the hundreds of other incidents detailed in this thread.

The Noam Chomsky/assorted Jewish antizionists argument doesn't quite wash either, because Jewish antizionists can be safely assumed to not have nefarious plans for diaspora Jews. The latter cannot be safely assumed for the unaffiliated, as history has proven.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2018, 03:53:27 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2018, 05:54:02 AM by cp »

And this would be seen as a reasonable defense if it wasn't for the hundreds of other incidents detailed in this thread.

The Noam Chomsky/assorted Jewish antizionists argument doesn't quite wash either, because Jewish antizionists can be safely assumed to not have nefarious plans for diaspora Jews. The latter cannot be safely assumed for the unaffiliated, as history has proven.

Firstly, the number of incidents implicating Corbyn in this thread, or anywhere else, is not in the hundreds. By the most generous estimate, the number of accusations of antisemitism in the Labour Party over the past two years is around 50, of which a handful are specifically about Corbyn. To be clear: that is 50 too many and Corbyn has not acted swiftly or vehemently enough to address them, but exaggerating claims in this manner only obfuscates.

Secondly, it is naive to assume that someone who is Jewish will prime face not have 'nefarious plans' while someone who is not Jewish must always be assumed to have the possibility of having such plans. Besides being needlessly tribalistic, it feeds the kind of conspiratorial mindset that already warps so much of the debate about Israel/Palestine and antisemitism in general.  

Finally, to Chairface, the 'Zionist position' is not what you claim it to be. Most people who identify as Zionists, I think, are quite reasonable and defend their arguments without resorting to smears. Some do not, and it is highly regrettable that they do.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2018, 05:37:51 AM »

There is a difference between "Not support Israel" and "Wish for it to cease to exist as a Jewish state".
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7091355/former-kkk-head-david-duke-and-ex-bnp-leader-nick-griffin-back-jeremy-corbyns-amid-fresh-zionism-row/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/24/jeremy-corbyn-praised-nick-griffin-former-kkk-leaderafter-video/

So....David Duke and Nick Griffin are siding with Corbyn
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »

They'll be put in the gulag when Corbyn gets into power.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »

There is a difference between "Not support Israel" and "Wish for it to cease to exist as a Jewish state".

True, I presume that Corbyn supports Israel's right to exist with its pre-1967 borders. His disagreements with Israel are about Gaza and the West Bank.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »

He's basically been a strong anti-Zionist in the past and one might be suspicious of any support for a two-state solution now.

That may come from a genuine anti-racist perspective, but unfortunately, it's a little ignorant of Jewish history - especially in the Middle East.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »

He's basically been a strong anti-Zionist in the past and one might be suspicious of any support for a two-state solution now.

That may come from a genuine anti-racist perspective, but unfortunately, it's a little ignorant of Jewish history - especially in the Middle East.

I think that's a fair assessment. Corbyn's never expressed much nuance when it comes to Jewish history, despite having a formidable grasp of other historical dimensions of the Israel/Palestine debate. I can't think of any definitive statements he's made about what solution to the Israel/Palestine issue he would prefer, but it might be instructive to look at the Labour Party's official policy. Corbyn's been willing to let his beliefs take a back seat to the Party line more than once (the monarchy, Trident).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »

Frank Field resigns Labour whip.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »

This should really be part of the UK General Discussion thread. Despite his protestations to the contrary, Field's resignation has little if anything to do with Corbyn's alleged antisemitism.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/859872/GROTESQUE-Anger-as-Corbyn-allied-Palestine-Labour-group-calls-for-Jewish-FINAL-SOLUTION

Absolutely outrageous
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies