The only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian. True or false?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:48:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian. True or false?  (Read 1021 times)
Greatest I am
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »

A nutshell view of Gnostic Christianity is expressed in the first two links. The third shows the attitude and result of Christian and Gnostic Christian interaction. I should point out that Gnostic Christianity does not hold to any supernatural belief, although I know that the literature, mostly written by those who won the God wars, wants to show that we do. Our myths have a lot of supernatural entities but they are myths, not reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ptNcSYo7k4&t=338s

I heard the saying in the title of this O. P. some time ago and after looking at the moral aspects of both ideologies/ theologies; --- I think that statement to be true from a moral point of view.

Do you?

Regards
DL
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »

Actually, it's the opposite.  Gnosticism is one of the earliest heresies, and the Apostles condemned it repeatedly in the New Testament, especially John.  And remember in Revelation when Jesus condemned the Nicolaitans?  It's been speculated they were Gnostics as well.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unfortunately most Christians today follow the Gnostic doctrines introduced by Augustine, such as original sin and the related concept of total depravity.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

Actually, it's the opposite.  Gnosticism is one of the earliest heresies, and the Apostles condemned it repeatedly in the New Testament, especially John.  And remember in Revelation when Jesus condemned the Nicolaitans?  It's been speculated they were Gnostics as well.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unfortunately most Christians today follow the Gnostic doctrines introduced by Augustine, such as original sin and the related concept of total depravity.

I am sure the older traditions though Christianity to be new heresy when it first showed up as well.

I am looking for your moral view of Christianity versus Gnostic Christianity. Care to opine?

As to Original sin, Gnostic Christianity has no such concept. We follow the original Jewish view that Eden was our place of elevation and not the fall that Christianity put to it.

Gnostic Christians have no need to take advantage of God punishing the innocent instead of the guilty for our salvation because our God does not have to condemn his creations as he creates them for their best possible end and not some disgusting and immoral construct called hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

You do not seem to be able to distinguish between the lies told of us by Christians and the truth of what we believe. Please ask as the literature is full of Christian lies. They won the God wars and distorted the history accordingly.

If Christians of that day were moral and upright, Christianity would have spread thanks to good moral arguments instead of spreading by murders and Inquisitions. Right?

Regards
DL
Georg Ebner
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:42:25 AM »

Pelagius and Julianus Eclanum were gnostic, AUGUSTINE was antignostic.
Gnosticism lies, that the materia is evil, while our souls would be pars Dei.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »

Material evil?

Hardly when our bodies carry our souls.

Does this sound like we do not like mater?

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

How about the following?

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Regards
DL
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:59:59 PM »

Augustine clearly taught that the physical world was inherently evil and said that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was sexual intercourse.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepbH0tRFLs

This stands in stark contrast to the first chapter of Genesis, in which God not only permits but commands all of creation to reproduce by sex.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »

Here's a short video comparing Augustine to Pelagius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68-WGBQVCU
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »

Augustine clearly taught that the physical world was inherently evil and said that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was sexual intercourse.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepbH0tRFLs

This stands in stark contrast to the first chapter of Genesis, in which God not only permits but commands all of creation to reproduce by sex.

Yet A & E did not and could not without the desire being created within them, and that desire can only come about after their eyes were opened by the tree of knowledge which shows the choices available.

That is clear since the command to reproduce was in Gen 1 and A & E did not do so till after their expulsion.

Augustine, FMPOV, as well as the Jewish POV which also sees Eden as our place of elevation and not our fall, would think Augustine a big fool for thinking so stupidly.

Regards
DL

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »

Christianity does need to become more in touch with modernism and gnosticism could help.
Perhaps, Christianity will soon be in decline (although very very slowly) and that could be for the best.
The younger generation may not be that interested in "that old time religion".
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »

Christianity does need to become more in touch with modernism and gnosticism could help.
Perhaps, Christianity will soon be in decline (although very very slowly) and that could be for the best.
The younger generation may not be that interested in "that old time religion".

Indeed. Their moral sense is a lot more acute than their parent's.

The decline of supernaturally based religions will happen faster than we think, I hope, and the sooner the better from MPOV.

Regards
DL
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies