Shri Thanedar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:40:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Shri Thanedar?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Shri Thanedar?  (Read 7107 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »

Thanedar may not even be eligible to be on the ballot, as he was on a "voter termination countdown" after being registered to vote in New York City as of 2015...but not terminating his Michigan registration.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »

Not to explode this thread too much with the shrapnel of the Hoyer thread, but this race is absolutely one in which the party should weigh in against a candidate with little chance of winning the general - Thanedar. He's an abysmal candidate, with little discernable ideological base/lane who's only winning because $$. Nominating Thanedar would be throwing away a winnable governor's mansion.

Not to mention that, evidently, he considered running as a Republican. This is not a race where we should have to settle for someone like this.

Thanedar may not even be eligible to be on the ballot, as he was on a "voter termination countdown" after being registered to vote in New York City as of 2015...but not terminating his Michigan registration.

That was Abdul El-Sayed iirc.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »

Not to explode this thread too much with the shrapnel of the Hoyer thread, but this race is absolutely one in which the party should weigh in against a candidate with little chance of winning the general - Thanedar. He's an abysmal candidate, with little discernable ideological base/lane who's only winning because $$. Nominating Thanedar would be throwing away a winnable governor's mansion.

Not to mention that, evidently, he considered running as a Republican. This is not a race where we should have to settle for someone like this.

That was Abdul El-Sayed iirc.

Whoops... either way, it just proves Whitmer is easily the strongest candidate for Democrats.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 07:10:34 AM »

Absolutely. Maybe he'd be a better candidate somewhere that Dems struggle to compete, but Michigan is generally not that sort of place.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »

According to one poll, Thanedar is reasonably popular among African-Americans.

I think Whitmer's main challenge is coming from Abdul el-Sayed. According to the aforementioned poll, el-Sayed actually leads among women 18-49 y/o.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »

I think Whitmer's main challenge is coming from Abdul el-Sayed. According to the aforementioned poll, el-Sayed actually leads among women 18-49 y/o.

How can a guy in third be her main challenger? Thanedar is her only threat at this point.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »

How can a guy in third be her main challenger? Thanedar is her only threat at this point.
lol
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »

lol
Oh, wow. Abdul might have a good chance now. And those who think that the MI SC will kick him off the ballot are thinking too partisanly, the MI SC R judges have a conservative lean but have followed the law pretty well, which is why they ruled in favor of the ballot initiative for a commission.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

lol

Change Research is a pretty bad pollster. They had Perriello up 8 in the VA-Gov Democratic primary, Roy Moore up 6 in AL-Sen.

Also, the electorate in this poll was Sanders+16 (he won by 1) and 60% of it knows who AOC is (when 60% of NEW YORK has no opinion of her). This is quite a bad poll for El-Sayed.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

lol

Change Research is a pretty bad pollster. They had Perriello up 8 in the VA-Gov Democratic primary, Roy Moore up 6 in AL-Sen.

Also, the electorate in this poll was Sanders+16 (he won by 1) and 60% of it knows who AOC is (when 60% of NEW YORK has no opinion of her). This is quite a bad poll for El-Sayed.
let me believe
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »

Thanedar is amazingly winning the black vote in the latest poll. Hopefully that works against El-Sayed.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »

What the heck is Shri's base and why are they voting for him? I'm so confused...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »

What the heck is Shri's base and why are they voting for him? I'm so confused...

Mostly progressive leaning people who don't follow politics. He has the best name recognition of any of the Democratic candidates because he started advertising so early.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »

I would have supported him if he had done an advertisement in which he sang "Shri, I've got to be Shri.  Who else can I be?"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2018, 12:48:14 AM »

Mostly progressive leaning people who don't follow politics. He has the best name recognition of any of the Democratic candidates because he started advertising so early.

That and in a Trumpy sort of way, he has an odd authenticity to him that Gretchery Whitmon...I mean Gretchen Whitmer lacks.

Hopefully El-Sayed pulls ahead of both of them in a Ben Jealous sort-of upset.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

That and in a Trumpy sort of way, he has an odd authenticity to him that Gretchery Whitmon...I mean Gretchen Whitmer lacks.

Hopefully El-Sayed pulls ahead of both of them in a Ben Jealous sort-of upset.

I hope that as well, but I dont really see it. Please let me be wrong.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »

I just don't see what's wrong with Whitmer, honestly. Seems like some progressives have a weird dislike for her.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »

I just don't see what's wrong with Whitmer, honestly. Seems like some progressives have a weird dislike for her.

"Female Democrat who isn't a Justice Democrat = Hillary clone" is honestly probably the thought process.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

Nothing really, I just prefer El-Sayed.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »

"Female Democrat who isn't a Justice Democrat = Hillary clone" is honestly probably the thought process.

Anyone who's not their preferred candidate gets Hillary Clintoned. It would be the same if the frontrunner was Mike Duggan or Mark Hackel.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2018, 12:00:05 AM »

Well those debate performances really didn't do her any favors in that regard of making the separation.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2018, 02:08:21 AM »

I would certainly support Gretchen Whitmer here, but Abdul runs a fine campaign and it is a good signal that a Muslim American at 33 can do so. Maybe Whitmer can tap him for lt. gov?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2018, 07:01:35 AM »

I would certainly support Gretchen Whitmer here, but Abdul runs a fine campaign and it is a good signal that a Muslim American at 33 can do so. Maybe Whitmer can tap him for lt. gov?

Whitmer will likely pick an African-American man for Lt. Governor, but I agree that El-Sayed has run a solid campaign and could have a real future in Michigan politics once he gets his residency issues sorted out. 
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

Whitmer will likely pick an African-American man for Lt. Governor, but I agree that El-Sayed has run a solid campaign and could have a real future in Michigan politics once he gets his residency issues sorted out. 
I could see him running for House or getting tapped as DHS Sec in the next Democratic administration.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:44 AM »

I could see him running for House or getting tapped as DHS Sec in the next Democratic administration.

Surely you mean HHS, not DHS? Though that is a stretch.

When El-Sayed likely loses, he'd do well to stay in Detroit and return to the private sector. He has plenty of time for his star to shine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies