MTSU-TN Sen: Bredesen +10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:17:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  MTSU-TN Sen: Bredesen +10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: MTSU-TN Sen: Bredesen +10  (Read 9102 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »

This strikes me as a little too bullish
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »

Well I was skeptical at first, but multiple polls have Bredesen ahead. Senate Republicans should be sweating.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »

Blackburn will be fine with time.  TN polls always underestimate Republicans.  The average poll for the presidential election was something like Trump +10, while he won it by 26.  Also, barely a third of this sample was Republicans.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »

This is what we're looking for in a potential win:

He won every single county in 2006. Of course, I know that Tennessee has moved to the right since then, but I can see him easily doing better than this map.

My above map was built off of a composite of his 2002 gubernatorial race, the 2006 Senate race and 2012/2016 presidentials (plus a bit of subjective gut instinct): basically everything either somewhat recent or somewhat competitive. He's definitely not going to pull 70% in the Senate race - and even if he did, the map would look quite a bit different than his win in '06 I imagine.

The GOP counties aren't as terribly unfavorable to him as they look in that map: basically Bredesen is getting around 42% of the vote in all of them combined (and 60% in the Democratic counties).

How did you make this map?

A few open tabs, MSPaint, a few different spreadsheet formulas for different types of counties. Tongue Like I said above, I used those 4 relevant elections as data-points to compile the results.

Bredesen should win Lake County, no?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 10:37:54 PM »

It's a shame we can't simply run Trump. Every other Republican is simply a fool.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:55 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2018, 09:29:22 PM by xīngkěruì »

We'll see if Bredesen's polling holds up over the next few months, and it's true that polls in Tennessee can overestimate Democrats. Still, I doubt the polls would be off by this much, especially in a year where there's likely to be higher Democratic enthusiasm. I'll move this race from Likely R to Lean R, but if Blackburn continues to trail Bredesen, I'll see this is a real pick-up opportunity for Democrats.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »

My dad donated $25 to Bredesen. Hopefully grassroots support like this will put him over the top. We all believe in you governor, go win this thing!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »

My dad donated $25 to Bredesen. Hopefully grassroots support like this will put him over the top. We all believe in you governor, go win this thing!

Your dad is a democrat too?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »

Yeah, probably even more so than me. He votes for democrats like 95%, and did a straight ticket in 2016. Barring any pedo situations (fortunately none have arisen here yet), McCain would be the only Republican that he would support against a democrat (he says that, and yet he still voted for Obama twice, and says he would vote for Obama over McCain again if given the choice, so take it with several grains of salt). He is economically a little more right than me, ie. lower taxes for corporations, believes government is an inefficient spender, repeal of estate tax, etc. but he is substantially to the left of me socially. We get in some arguments about some stuff, he is super pro lgbt, loves safe spaces, kinda pro choice ish, supports the notion that minorities deserve a ton special treatment, believes in micro aggressions, he is kind of an SJW. Overall, we agree most of the time, and support literally all the same candidates, but there are a few flashpoints that we argue about. We agree like 80-85% of the time, as for him, he is like me except for those issues and couple others, and tends to be more outspoken and loud, except his outspoken and loud self is always directed at Republicans, while I split mine.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »

Yeah, probably even more so than me. He votes for democrats like 95%, and did a straight ticket in 2016. Barring any pedo situations (fortunately none have arisen here yet), McCain would be the only Republican that he would support against a democrat (he says that, and yet he still voted for Obama twice, and says he would vote for Obama over McCain again if given the choice, so take it with several grains of salt). He is economically a little more right than me, ie. lower taxes for corporations, believes government is an inefficient spender, repeal of estate tax, etc. but he is substantially to the left of me socially. We get in some arguments about some stuff, he is super pro lgbt, loves safe spaces, kinda pro choice ish, supports the notion that minorities deserve a ton special treatment, believes in micro aggressions, he is kind of an SJW. Overall, we agree most of the time, and support literally all the same candidates, but there are a few flashpoints that we argue about. We agree like 80-85% of the time, as for him, he is like me except for those issues and couple others, and tends to be more outspoken and loud, except his outspoken and loud self is always directed at Republicans, while I split mine.

Your dad is actually one of those fabled "neoliberals" Atlas loves to cry about.

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 11:13:23 PM »

Your dad is actually one of those fabled "neoliberals" Atlas loves to cry about.

Yeah, Atlas would not like him, but they would love him compared to me.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:43 AM »

With the handicap of having no birth times for either Bredesen or Blackburn..

I would pick Bredesen to win on election night if pushed over Blackburn!

His transits and progressions are more favorable.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »

I can't really see Bredesen winning, but as of right now I'll concede this race appears to be Tossup-to-Tilt-R.
same, although I obviously hope he wins
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »

The whole "Republicans always over-perform in TN" thing people keep saying sounds pretty similar to the "Republicans always over-perform in VA" routine we heard prior to Northam's win.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »

The whole "Republicans always over-perform in TN" thing people keep saying sounds pretty similar to the "Republicans always over-perform in VA" routine we heard prior to Northam's win.
sure... not to mention breeds actually overperformed in his runs
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

NV and TN are leaning Democratic, that's all the Dems need for the majority.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Will this poll be put into the database?
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2018, 10:57:45 PM »

I think I'm halfway between Lean R and Toss-Up here. Definitely an exciting race to follow moving forward and I could certainly see it going either way. I have NV and AZ in the Dem column right now. TN would make the majority 52-48...then MS for 53-47...then TX for 54-46...55-45 if McCain dies this year. Not expecting any incumbent Dems to lose their seats, but IN and MO might be very close.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »

I think I'm halfway between Lean R and Toss-Up here. Definitely an exciting race to follow moving forward and I could certainly see it going either way. I have NV and AZ in the Dem column right now. TN would make the majority 52-48...then MS for 53-47...then TX for 54-46...55-45 if McCain dies this year. Not expecting any incumbent Dems to lose their seats, but IN and MO might be very close.

Please God I hope this does not happen, it hurts and makes me shudder when you even say it Sad.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »

Something else from the poll
You must be logged in to read this quote.

20% of republicans is HUGE!! Jones only won like 8% of republicans in the alabama special
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »

Will this poll be put into the database?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »

May I ask why this poll was never put into the average?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 02:12:38 AM »

idk, the polling looks interesting and all but I kind of hard to believe TN will flip this year when it didn't in 2006, which even then they were re-electing a dem Governor at the time.

This. Obviously Bredesen is a stronger candidate than Ford Jr., but the state has also gotten much more R since 2006. Then again, 2018 is shaping up to be a worse year for Republicans than 2006 for some reason, which is honestly the most astonishing thing for me.

Corker is also a much better candidate than Blackburn
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 02:48:12 PM »

idk, the polling looks interesting and all but I kind of hard to believe TN will flip this year when it didn't in 2006, which even then they were re-electing a dem Governor at the time.

This. Obviously Bredesen is a stronger candidate than Ford Jr., but the state has also gotten much more R since 2006. Then again, 2018 is shaping up to be a worse year for Republicans than 2006 for some reason, which is honestly the most astonishing thing for me.

Corker is also a much better candidate than Blackburn

Yes, but he would have probably lost the Republican primary to Blackburn.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »

This poll cannot be accurate because the Tennessee Senate race is Safe Republican in my ratings.

/s

I guess Blackburn could take the advantage over Bredesen by slamming him on his record on taxes since he raised taxes close to $1 billion during his time as Governor, which could label him as « too liberal for Tennessee ».

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/news/story/2009/aug/16/taxes-millions-under-bredesen/231046/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/news/story/2010/dec/28/bredesen-tax-legacy-may-be-tough-act-to-follow/37946/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies