Female Candidates Challenge Long-Held Taboos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:41:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Female Candidates Challenge Long-Held Taboos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Female Candidates Challenge Long-Held Taboos  (Read 1354 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »

Female candidates take on taboos in new campaign ads
Women are increasingly spotlighting gender as they make a record-breaking run in 2018

You must be logged in to read this quote.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »

While some of this is really excessive (breastfeeding on camera in a campaign ad, blech) it's amazing news that women running for political office are continuing the progress we have had as a society in the process of tearing down barriers and gender-centric double standards.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »

Breastfeeding in campaign ads is a stupid gimmick and you can't convince me otherwise.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »

Breastfeeding in campaign ads is a stupid gimmick and you can't convince me otherwise.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »

People need to get over breastfeeding in public, it's not a big deal. It's a bit weird to do it in a campaign ad, but it's her campaign.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:41:32 AM »

I think the most successful campaign to do this in recent years was Joni Ernst's 2014 Iowa run.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »

Breastfeeding in campaign ads is no more of a gimmick than things like showing them playing soccer with their kids, showing them reading a bedtime story to their kids, etc...  It's an aspect of adult life that they are putting on display to show their constituents that they are a normal parent.  It's also no more of a gimmick than the billions of ads of candidates shooting guns.

Like when John Kerry right before the 2004 election had to go duck hunting and made sure he was photographed lol
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »

People need to get over breastfeeding in public, it's not a big deal. It's a bit weird to do it in a campaign ad, but it's her campaign.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »

King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »

Totally agree, If I saw that on television I'd vomit.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »

I thought this was going to be about the "taboo" that you don't launch primary campaigns against well-regarded incumbents without some actual reason.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »

I see no reason to care that they're breastfeeding in their campaign ad, it's something Mothers do and she wanted to put it in her ad.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2018, 01:40:52 PM by Punxsutawney Phil »

I see no reason to care that they're breastfeeding in their campaign ad, it's something Mothers do and she wanted to put it in her ad.

It is something mothers do...I was breastfed as a child.
It's something mothers ought to do in private. Showing it off is just indecent. Doing this in a freaking campaign ad is just plain disgusting regardless of the candidate who is doing it or the platform that they have, period.
I would note that men shouldn't have a 'be able to show as much of your body as possible free card'. It's important to be even-handed here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »

Totally agree, If I saw that on television I'd vomit.

I think this says more about you than about these women...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding and these ads are Freedom Ads (normal, sane, not a sexist POS).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »

There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding and these ads are Freedom Ads (normal, sane, not a sexist POS).
The breastfeeding ads are terrible. Most of the ads mentioned in the article are massive Freedom Ads, but for the breastfeeding ones, I would feel very disgusted if I was watching television and live footage of a woman's private parts showed up on the screen.
There are better ways of showing one's spirit of motherhood. There are more considerate ways of doing so.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »

The breastfeeding ads are terrible. Most of the ads mentioned in the article are massive Freedom Ads, but for the breastfeeding ones, I would feel very disgusted if I was watching television and live footage of a woman's private parts showed up on the screen.
There are better ways of showing one's spirit of motherhood. There are more considerate ways of doing so.

Except breasts are not "private parts". Roll Eyes
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »

Not all of us want to see nibbles out of nowhere on our TV screens, thank you very much.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »

Not all of us want to see nibbles out of nowhere on our TV screens, thank you very much.

That's your problem - not hers.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »

That's your problem - not hers.
#Blessed that Beto isn't going to go nude or include indecent exposure in his DFW media market TV ads.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »

I agree. plus it's natural and (can be) beautiful.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »

What next showing birth videos in an ad... some things are considered private to most people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »

This thread proves that sexism on Atlas Forum is alive and well.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »

This thread proves that sexism on Atlas Forum is alive and well.
Are you insinuating I’m a Sexist? I voted for Hillary Clinton, and am 100% Pro-choice. Just because someone doesn’t want to see Breastfeeding on your television doesn’t make you a Sexist.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 04:37:55 PM »

Did King Lear, LimoLiberal, and TimTurner even watch the ad where she was breastfeeding? You couldn't even see the breast or anything -- she lifted up her shirt slightly off camera.

Also, she was having a personal conversation and playing w/ her daughter/son and they wanted to eat so she lifted up her shirt (slightly offcamera). It was natural.

Like my god, you guys are really weird.

(Also, King Lear, you can be pro-choice, vote for Hillary, and still be sexist. Although I wouldn't call you sexist for this -- I'd just call you a hermit.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies