China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:14:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent  (Read 10328 times)
ChinaSoc
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »

During the Dengist era China has had zero recessions, the United States has had five, one every 8 years (1980, 1981-82, 1990-91, 2001 and 2008-09), it's funny that the US growing like 2-2.2% is excellent but China growing 6.5% is disappointing.
It's easy to grow big numbers when you're:
a.not very big in the first place
2.fudging the numbers
III.can literally murder people if they don't do what you want

Winnie the Pooh is a dictator.
It's easy to grow big numbers and brag about it when you:
1. Had 200 years of colonialism to get a head start

Nice to see you already resorted to the fudging the numbers argument. Meanwhile, on the murdering people department, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world and its police forces kill blacks because they are black.

Global South sees the United States as a dictator, especially the middle east, but I guess they are a bunch of "muslim barbarians" because they revolt from getting bombed by the racist empire.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2018, 07:12:58 PM by Old School Republican »

During the Dengist era China has had zero recessions, the United States has had five, one every 8 years (1980, 1981-82, 1990-91, 2001 and 2008-09), it's funny that the US growing like 2-2.2% is excellent but China growing 6.5% is disappointing.
2.fudging the numbers

Nice to see you already resorted to the fudging the numbers argument. Meanwhile, on the murdering people department, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world and its police forces kill blacks because they are black.

Global South sees the United States as a dictator, especially the middle east, but I guess they are a bunch of "muslim barbarians" because they revolt from getting bombed by the racist empire.

Except the US wasn’t a colonial power either

And Europe spent most of the US first 120 years trying to Sabotage  it as well
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »

2.fudging the numbers

And Europe spent most of the US first 120 years trying to Sabotage  it as well

I mean there is manifest destiny, the warping of the Monroe doctrine and the rise of imperialism in the late 19th century to consider. Most rich countries, even minnows like New Zealand, have imperialist designs. Of course, where I would disagree with our friend here is that I feel China's ruling elite is just as willing to jump aboard the train as Europe, Japan and the US did during the 19th century.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »

2.fudging the numbers

And Europe spent most of the US first 120 years trying to Sabotage  it as well

I mean there is manifest destiny, the warping of the Monroe doctrine and the rise of imperialism in the late 19th century to consider. Most rich countries, even minnows like New Zealand, have imperialist designs. Of course, where I would disagree with our friend here is that I feel China's ruling elite is just as willing to jump aboard the train as Europe, Japan and the US did during the 19th century.

By definition the US expanding from the Atlantic to the Pacific cant count as colonialism because all that territory didn't became different colonies they became states and all those states had the same rights the original 13 states had.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

I know quoting from the dictionary makes one sound look like a pedantic dick, but I think defining colonialism would be useful here:

Colonialism is defined as "the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically."

How does that not describe the annexation of sovereign mexican territory, Hawaii or Indian land? How does that not describe the seizure of Panama, Cuba, the Philippines etc?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 07:30:48 PM »

I know quoting from the dictionary makes one sound look like a pedantic dick, but I think defining colonialism would be useful here:

Colonialism is defined as "the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically."

How does that not describe the annexation of sovereign mexican territory, Hawaii or Indian land? How does that not describe the seizure of Panama, Cuba, the Philippines etc?

The latter was former wasn’t since the former didn’t get turned into colonies

What I was saying is they didn’t became an economic power due to colonies
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 09:01:00 PM »

Tibet
You must be logged in to read this quote.
occasionally yes, and we're working on it.
good thing the PRC doesn't have any problems with Muslims groups or this comment would look stupid.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »

2.fudging the numbers

By definition the US expanding from the Atlantic to the Pacific cant count as colonialism because all that territory didn't became different colonies they became states and all those states had the same rights the original 13 states had.

Maybe "colonialism" is the wrong term to describe the expansion of the USA from "the Atlantic to the Pacific," but it is NOT because of the foolish reason(s) you have posted here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »

2.fudging the numbers

Maybe "colonialism" is the wrong term to describe the expansion of the USA from "the Atlantic to the Pacific," but it is NOT because of the foolish reason(s) you have posted here.

Colonialism means getting more and more colonies

By definition, the expansion of the US was not colonialism since the territories didnt become colonies they became states.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

Tibet
good thing the PRC doesn't have any problems with Muslims groups or this comment would look stupid.

Insert slow clap gif here

X10
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

2.fudging the numbers

Colonialism means getting more and more colonies

By definition, the expansion of the US was not colonialism since the territories didnt become colonies they became states.

Well, by those definitions, a more apt term sadly may be ethnic cleansing
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »

Tibet

Insert slow clap gif here

X10

If the world thinks the US is a bad master just imagine how they'll view it if the Russians or PRC get ahold of that same power.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »

2.fudging the numbers

200 years? Ignoring China's own attempt at colonialism, China has been around for thousands of years. Nationalism and patriotism is all fine and good, my friend, let's not scapegoat colonialism to excuse your own countries tyranny over its own population
ChinaSoc
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »

2.fudging the numbers

200 years? Ignoring China's own attempt at colonialism, China has been around for thousands of years. Nationalism and patriotism is all fine and good, my friend, let's not scapegoat colonialism to excuse your own countries tyranny over its own population

Well, China was partitioned by western imperialist powers who effectively controlled it from about 1860 until Chairman Mao's revolution so yeah, the reason why China started why behind the west in the recent past is colonialism.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »

2.fudging the numbers

Well, China was partitioned by western imperialist powers who effectively controlled it from about 1860 until Chairman Mao's revolution so yeah, the reason why China started why behind the west in the recent past is colonialism.

Yeah, that whole great society, starving most of your country to death and killing people who disagree with you didn't hurt them more at all. Roll Eyes
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »

I am really starting to suspect ChinaSoc is a ChinaSock(account).

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »

I had the same thought, but it seems too obvious.

I've always assumed that the socks tend to stay away from special interest with (comparatively) low traffic boards like this and focus on high-traffic low-depth sites. And that the people who look like obvious socks are just trolls who get a kick out of pretending to be socks.

But that's all just my two bits. I have no relevant specialized knowledge-base. Maybe China has decided to follow the Russians at their game and and getting their 2018 campaign on the pad so they can do a test launch for 2020, and this is what it looks like.
ChinaSoc
Rookie

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »

Yes, supporting an ideology  (Marxism-Leninism) that the extremist american overton window (so extremist that Bernie Sanders is labeled far left) deems unacceptable even though has millions of followers around the world and is the flundation of the country with the largest population and presenting the perspective of a country whose perspective either isn't heard on western circles or if it is, is automatically labeled is either illegitimate or inferior (same for Russia) makes me a sock, nice twist of the "russian bot" argument.

Only tories and libs are accepted and you must support the US empire despite them being viewed very negatively in large chunks of the world, including at parts where most of its population is located (the world isn't 90% western, it's 60% asian but since these people aren't rich they are ignored). Deal with the fact that there are people aligned with both Russia and the PRC and they are not bots.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »

I had the same thought, but it seems too obvious.

I've always assumed that the socks tend to stay away from special interest with (comparatively) low traffic boards like this and focus on high-traffic low-depth sites. And that the people who look like obvious socks are just trolls who get a kick out of pretending to be socks.

But that's all just my two bits. I have no relevant specialized knowledge-base. Maybe China has decided to follow the Russians at their game and and getting their 2018 campaign on the pad so they can do a test launch for 2020, and this is what it looks like.

I mean, we have had one or two obvious Russian propagandists. If you're looking to influence the political discourse of a country, it makes sense to target people that are especially engaged.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »

Yes, supporting an ideology  (Marxism-Leninism) that the extremist american overton window (so extremist that Bernie Sanders is labeled far left) deems unacceptable even though has millions of followers around the world and is the flundation of the country with the largest population and presenting the perspective of a country whose perspective either isn't heard on western circles or if it is, is automatically labeled is either illegitimate or inferior (same for Russia) makes me a sock, nice twist of the "russian bot" argument.

Only tories and libs are accepted and you must support the US empire despite them being viewed very negatively in large chunks of the world, including at parts where most of its population is located (the world isn't 90% western, it's 60% asian but since these people aren't rich they are ignored). Deal with the fact that there are people aligned with both Russia and the PRC and they are not bots.

Indians despise the Chinese system of government as well

And Indians despise communism as well

And by the way SK and Japan are capitalist as well so no not Asia only China and their puppet government in NK
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »

GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »

Dab on the economy
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »

"Sir you're historically unpopular and the only thing keeping out of the gutter is the economy"
Trump: LEEROY JENKINS
Foucaulf
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »

It is rather ridiculous to say that contemporary China has not had any economic crises. The biggest crisis under Deng Xiaoping's early reform years was the inflation crisis in the late 80s, due to imperfect market liberalization followed by price controls (and this would be a cause of the 1989 protests outside of Beijing).

When looking at longer time periods, the biggest theme is divergence in economic growth between different Chinese regions. After mass migrations to cities and layoffs among State-owned enterprises, Chinese leadership has tried to boost economic growth in the Northeast and interior without great success (certainly not enough for residents there to catch up to Western standards).

If you do believe China's quarterly GDP growth numbers, then you still have to realize growth in the country is still strongly driven by investment and stimulus, which is starting to metastasize into a problem with enterprise and public debt.

You can also believe this, but if you took that literally why did the "anti-imperialist" Boxer Rebellion fail while the Xinhai Revolution succeeded? Colonialism is only the symptom of an imperial Chinese bureaucracy that grew corrupt and degenerate, unable to ward off offensives from the West. Even before the Communist Revolution, intellectuals and leaders knew the only way to restore China was to learn from the West and develop the nation into autonomy.

你真是个中国人你难道不尴尬,多么自以为是,以为论坛上所有美国人在了解他们的国史上都不如你。不会彼此交流,炎黄子孙需要你这个小屁孩来维护吗。
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »

Now wait for the Chinese to retaliate in 3....2.....1. This whole thing is so pointless and stupid. Kind of like Trump's whole presidency.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies