Could you ever support a worldwide elected parliament?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:18:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Could you ever support a worldwide elected parliament?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Could you ever support a worldwide elected parliament?  (Read 2076 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »

Never. The majority of the countries in the world are in a bad state, and the majority of the world population hold trash opinions. I'd rather not allow them to drag down living standards in our precious fortress of the West.

More theoretically, I believe that the world population is divided in nations (albeit with blurred boundaries; one can belong to multiple nations, and the differences between some nations are negligible whereas the differences between others are enormous) and that nation-states are the best instrument to create prosperity and just societies. Nations should democratically decide on their "path forward" in terms of public policies. What's good policy for one country may not necessarily be the best option for another nation.

But the majority of people - at core - want the same basic things. To live in dignity, for themselves and their families to each their full potential, to have good working conditions etc. Although the identitarians of right and 'left' try and take that away, we aren't all so different. I reject in its entirety all notions of cultural relativism (which you're endorsing) - all people deserve the same rights and should not be held hostage to their nations, flags and ruling elite.

More immediately, nobody can live in dignity while international finance vultures, lawless and unaccountable corporations and faceless elites are untamed. And I see no better way to take them than through people power.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »

That seems like a plan for China and India to rule the world.
But (assuming classical economics are correct), they'd move in massive amounts to Europe and America, so as to make the GDP per capita of the world roughly equal regardless of where someone lives.
I'd assume by the time such a parliament would be put in place China and India would be very developed and wealthy countries. So no need to move in massive amounts.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2018, 06:18:37 PM by DavidB. »

Never. The majority of the countries in the world are in a bad state, and the majority of the world population hold trash opinions. I'd rather not allow them to drag down living standards in our precious fortress of the West.

More theoretically, I believe that the world population is divided in nations (albeit with blurred boundaries; one can belong to multiple nations, and the differences between some nations are negligible whereas the differences between others are enormous) and that nation-states are the best instrument to create prosperity and just societies. Nations should democratically decide on their "path forward" in terms of public policies. What's good policy for one country may not necessarily be the best option for another nation.
But the majority of people - at core - want the same basic things. To live in dignity, for themselves and their families to each their full potential, to have good working conditions etc. Although the identitarians of right and 'left' try and take that away, we aren't all so different. I reject in its entirety all notions of cultural relativism (which you're endorsing) - all people deserve the same rights and should not be held hostage to their nations, flags and ruling elite.

More immediately, nobody can live in dignity while international finance vultures, lawless and unaccountable corporations and faceless elites are untamed. And I see no better way to take them than through people power.
I want everyone to be able to live in dignity, to have good working conditions etc. and I do not see how the nation state would be an impediment to this. I also agree that we have a problem with multinationals and "the 1%" who escape from paying their fair share, and we should find a solution for it.

But I am too skeptical to think we will ever find one, and I think a "world government" or worldwide elected parliament would do so much damage to the West; infinite amounts more than the tax evading fat cats currently inflict on us. Perhaps it would be good for people in the Third World, but I am a Dutchman and a proud European. I want to preserve my country, our civilization and our wealth, and that is my priority. As for poorer countries, removing trade barriers would already do a lot to improve these states' economic position. But ultimately I believe there is always going to be a lot of inequality between countries in the world.

Note that I am not endorsing cultural relativism on the most basic level: I think every country should offer its citizens the most fundamental human rights and every country should be a democracy. But otherwise, yes, nations and cultures have different value systems and therefore they consider different policy options to be just and appropriate for themselves. And that's fine. I might find some of their choices to be abhorrent, but it is nations' right to decide on their own policies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies