CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:33:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations  (Read 10215 times)
Ye We Can
Mumph

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »

*If* he gets in, Lean D --> Tilt R

They’ve recruited almost every cycle. His reasoning has been he doesn’t want to spend time away from his wife and child. I believe his son is now 5.

That is true. He doesn’t seem like he’s partisan enough to become a nigh-absentee father just to give his party the chance to pickup a seat.

The story's compelling and all, but what does he have other than that?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »

Likely D out of precaution. Really doesn't matter who the Republicans put up with this environment.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

They’ve recruited almost every cycle. His reasoning has been he doesn’t want to spend time away from his wife and child. I believe his son is now 5.

That is true. He doesn’t seem like he’s partisan enough to become a nigh-absentee father just to give his party the chance to pickup a seat.

Yeah especially after everything he has been through. I wonder if Stewart will switch. I always thought if she lost the governors race/primary she would run for this seat.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »

Yeah especially after everything he has been through. I wonder if Stewart will switch. I always thought if she lost the governors race/primary she would run for this seat.

When’s the filing deadline? Sounds like a possibility if she doesn’t make the primary if it’s after the convention.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »

When’s the filing deadline? Sounds like a possibility if she doesn’t make the primary if it’s after the convention.
June 12th so after the convention. I don’t think she would make this race that competitive .
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »

I don't see why Stewart would throw away her statewide career trying to become a national politician. Maybe she would if it was expected to be a Republican year.

Who might run on the Democratic side?
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »

I don't see why Stewart would throw away her statewide career trying to become a national politician. Maybe she would if it was expected to be a Republican year.

Who might run on the Democratic side?
Democratic bench in this district is kind of weak. I wonder if Chris Donovan will try he is very popular among the grassroots. Esty beat him in the 2012 primary.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »

He’d be formidable, but probably not *that* formidable
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2018, 06:07:34 PM »

Yeah for every 1 voter that there story flips, or inspires to vote R, there will be at least 2-3 people voting on the basis of Trump/healthcare etc.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »

Safe D
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:27 PM »

Looks like State Rep Michelle Cook might run. Never heard of her before.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Congresswoman-Esty-won-t-seek-re-election-12798866.php
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2018, 07:30:29 PM »

http://www.housedems.ct.gov/Cook/Biography

I like Cook. One good thing coming out of this is that Etsy’s huge campaign warchest can go towards other Emily’s List candidates facing competitive primaries and general elections.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2018, 09:36:05 PM by LimoLiberal »

Yeah for every 1 voter that there story flips, or inspires to vote R, there will be at least 2-3 people voting on the basis of Trump/healthcare etc.

LMAO dude. I do think there will be a democratic wave in 2018, but this sort of thinking did not pan out well in 2018...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/chuck-schumer-democrats-will-lose-blue-collar-whites-gain-suburbs/
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »

Tilt D for now
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »

Really hard to see an open seat flip that voted Clinton by 4 points flip to Republicans in a Trump midterm. Especially in New England. National Republicans should ignore.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »

This has roughly the same odds as NV-04 flipping, which is to say not very good.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »

Mary Glassman declares she is running.
https://ctmirror.org/2018/04/02/mary-glassman-jumps-suddenly-open-5th-cd-race/
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »

Strong Likely- Safe D, unless Peit gets in, which would make it a pure... likely D. This seat is NOT flipping.

"Rep. William A. Petit, R-Southington, might run, but he said through a spokesman Monday night he was disinclined." So no.

Also, Glassman is in, Cook considering, Bartolomeo and Linehan are out.

"Rep. Michelle Cook, D-Torrington, said she was weighing a run, making calls to explore the feasibility of entering what will be an unusual sprint of a campaign: The nominating conventions are next month.

“At this point, it’s been a 24-hour whirlwind of conversations,” Cook said.

Former state Sen. Dante Bartolomeo, D-Meriden, said she was flattered to be approached as a potential candidate, but she is not going to run. Rep. Liz Linehan, a Democrat who lives in Esty’s hometown of Cheshire, said the same. Her phone has been ringing since Thursday, she said, “but I’m not interested.” "

https://ctmirror.org/2018/04/02/mary-glassman-jumps-suddenly-open-5th-cd-race/
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2018, 11:03:11 PM »

I don't think people here realize the strength of Petit. This is a guy who defeated a nearly 20 year democratic incumbent, who won by almost 20 points in 2014. Not only did he beat her, he swamped her by over 20 points in a presidential election year.

That said, he won't run.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2018, 11:06:38 PM »

I don't think people here realize the strength of Petit. This is a guy who defeated a nearly 20 year democratic incumbent, who won by almost 20 points in 2014. Not only did he beat her, he swamped her by over 20 points in a presidential election year.

That said, he won't run.

Oh they do, they're just having crazy cognitive dissonance because this, in their minds, is supposed to be a blanket blue year without any regard for individual candiates. Then again, every year is going to be a blue year if Atlas is to be believed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2018, 12:53:53 AM »

That said, he won't run.

Oh they do, they're just having crazy cognitive dissonance because this, in their minds, is supposed to be a blanket blue year without any regard for individual candiates. Then again, every year is going to be a blue year if Atlas is to be believed.

Democrats picked up a month ago in Connecticut a seat that was Republican since Watergate.
The president's party hasn't picked up in the midterms an open seat that he lost in the previous election since 1990.
But yeah, keep dreaming that everything is fine.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2018, 03:09:35 AM »

That said, he won't run.

As someone who lives in CT I think he could win I just don’t think he will run like I said I earlier in the thread due to his comments in the past.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2018, 05:00:48 AM »

Theoretically - the most republican district in the state and their best chance. Roraback almost won it in 2012, and would, probably win if it was 2010 or 2014 instead. But this year it will be not easy for any Republican candidate (and so far i don't see a "heavyweight" among them)
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »

Who's more progressive between Glassman and Cook? CT avatars, let me know.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2018, 10:28:48 PM »

Theoretically - the most republican district in the state and their best chance. Roraback almost won it in 2012, and would, probably win if it was 2010 or 2014 instead. But this year it will be not easy for any Republican candidate (and so far i don't see a "heavyweight" among them)

Petit would be pretty strong. As an aside, the 5th I would say is actually tied for the most Republican district with the 2nd. It's just that Courtney is super popular. From experience, even people who vote straight Republican vote for Courtney under some strange impression that he's a Blue Dog.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies