CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:41:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: CT-05: Rep. Esty retiring after top aide's abuse allegations  (Read 10316 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2018, 03:59:22 PM by Castro »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/politics/elizabeth-esty-staffer-abuse/index.html
http://www.courant.com/opinion/editorials/hc-he-ed-elizabeth-esty-resign-20180330-story.html
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »

This is very bad. She should strongly consider not running for re-election this year.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »

She didn’t harass anybody herself, not worth resigning over.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »

This is very bad. She should strongly consider not running for re-election this year.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »

^

LMAO WHAT.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »

I love how all the people who said Franken shouldn’t resign are now telling Esty to resign over this. Really shows the double standard that Atlas has.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »

I love how all the people who said Franken shouldn’t resign are now telling Esty to resign over this. Really shows the double standard that Atlas has.

I was very pro-Franken resignation, and was about to compare your logic to the people that defended him.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »

"There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women." -Madeleine Albright
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

I love how all the people who said Franken shouldn’t resign are now telling Esty to resign over this.

Quit talking out of your ass. Most of the forum wanted Franken to resign.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »

I was very pro-Franken resignation, and was about to compare your logic to the people that defended him.

There’s a world of difference. Franken personally victimized and assaulted numerous women over many years. Esty made a terrible mistake that failed one woman, but she did not go around and assault the victim herself. Big, big difference.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »

Mark Meadows had a similar scandal with his chief of staff. Interesting how he goes unscathed yet people think Esty should resign over this.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »

There’s a world of difference. Franken personally victimized and assaulted numerous women over many years. Esty made a terrible mistake that failed one woman, but she did not go around and assault the victim herself. Big, big difference.

Esty buried it and acted like every person with power *shouldn't * when confronted by this sort of thing. And she only acknowledged wrongdoing when it blew up and became a story. It's really bad.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »

Mark Meadows had a similar scandal with his chief of staff. Interesting how he goes unscathed yet people think Esty should resign over this.

I’m afraid it’s simply the horrible double standard we apply to women politicians. We let male politicians get away with so much more, but we apply a ruthless standard to women in politics. Similar to how Hillary got dragged for her husband’s impropriety, while the same people defended Trump in light of his several dozen harassment allegations.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »

I'm from CT and have family in the district. Who is Mark Meadows?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »

https://theslot.jezebel.com/congressman-accused-of-paying-staffer-for-months-after-1734772761/amp

Andrew Cuomo also does the exact same thing, defending sexual harassers in his staff, but nobody cares. It’s only when a woman screws up that she should immediately face calls to resign.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »

she needs to retire, but because she could get tied into the more local environment thanks to this scandal, which would make her more at risk of blowing the seat and harming CT dems overall.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »

I'm from CT and have family in the district. Who is Mark Meadows?
I'm from CT also and the CT GOP kept a child molester on their payroll. Interesting how no one cares about that. Mark Meadows is a congressman from NC who is  the chairman of the Freedom Caucus

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-mark-meadows-aide-says-sexual-harassment-in-congressmans-office-was-known-earlier-than-reported

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/kenny-west-mark-meadows-harassment-227115

https://ethics.house.gov/sites/ethics.house.gov/files/OCE%20Report%20and%20Findings_0.pdf
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »

^

LMAO WHAT.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »

“Esty admitted to media outlets that she wrote a positive recommendation letter for Baker and entered into a nondisclosure agreement at what she said was the recommendation of the Office of House Employment Counsel.“

Honestly, it sounds like the failures of an antiquated sexual harassment reporting system on Capitol Hill. She followed the recommendations of the House office responsible for dealing with issues like this.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »

“Esty admitted to media outlets that she wrote a positive recommendation letter for Baker and entered into a nondisclosure agreement at what she said was the recommendation of the Office of House Employment Counsel.“

Honestly, it sounds like the failures of an antiquated sexual harassment reporting system on Capitol Hill. She followed the recommendations of the House office responsible for dealing with issues like this.

Seems like if congress had an HR department none of this would happen.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »

she needs to retire, but because she could get tied into the more local environment thanks to this scandal, which would make her more at risk of blowing the seat and harming CT dems overall.

I really don’t think the GOP is going to run an effective campaign railing against sexual harassment when Donald Trump is president. Esty is an entrenched incumbent in a Clinton seat, she’s safe regardless of this scandal.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »

I really don’t think the GOP is going to run an effective campaign railing against sexual harassment when Donald Trump is president. Esty is an entrenched incumbent in a Clinton seat, she’s safe regardless of this scandal.

Especially when the CT GOP kept a guy who bragged about bathing with a 5 year old on payroll after he was arrested.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »

https://theslot.jezebel.com/congressman-accused-of-paying-staffer-for-months-after-1734772761/amp

Andrew Cuomo also does the exact same thing, defending sexual harassers in his staff, but nobody cares. It’s only when a woman screws up that she should immediately face calls to resign.

Which is one more reason everyone on the left hates Cuomo.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

We need no excuses, no what abouts, just standards to uphold.

Which is one more reason everyone on the left hates Cuomo.

This too
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »

I know your schtick is unconditionally supporting female third-way types, but I think you know full well that the issue here isn’t simply whether Esty can win re-election.  Franken and Conyers probably could have too, the point is that both folks who engage in abusive behavior and their enablers like Esty who look the other way have no business holding elected office.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies