death penalty roll call
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:29:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  death penalty roll call
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: death penalty roll call  (Read 5869 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 06:42:15 PM »

Qualified yes. Make crimes suitable for the death penalty more rational

Why multiple homicide often only results in life inprisonment (usually with possibility of parole), while a single murder of a late-night convenience store clerk in a botched robbery warrants a death penalty is simply illogical.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »

How is one crime better than the other? Both criminals are human trash.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 06:49:50 PM »

How is one crime better than the other? Both criminals are human trash.

That's the point. Why one criminal gets 50 years (ha ha!) in jail for multiple homicide, while another gets the death penalty for a less, how to say?, well-planned murder, baffles the mind.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »

Assuming this guy is, like, 90, but I'm okay with the 50 year sentence, provided it's a really bad prison.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 07:59:23 PM »

(Reluctantly) in favor of it, but only provided there is truly overwhelming evidence that the person is indeed guilty.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »

If you're so reluctant in supporting the death penalty, why not oppose it instead Smiley
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 08:07:27 PM »

If you're so reluctant in supporting the death penalty, why not oppose it instead Smiley

You've hit upon one of my biggest sore points. A year ago I was completely pro-life (anti-abortion, anti-death penalty) because I was under the delusion that those were the Christian viewpoints. However, upon doing more in depth studying of the Word I've sadly become pro-death Cry. If you (or anyone) can produce a scripture based pro-life argument make no mistake I would be thrilled to hear it, but thus far the pro-death arguments I've heard have just been more truthful.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 08:26:47 PM »

Opposed to the death penalty in all cases.
Bugs

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 11:23:36 PM »

Opposed.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2005, 11:29:54 PM »

opposed
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2005, 11:33:59 PM »

You've hit upon one of my biggest sore points. A year ago I was completely pro-life (anti-abortion, anti-death penalty) because I was under the delusion that those were the Christian viewpoints. However, upon doing more in depth studying of the Word I've sadly become pro-death Cry. If you (or anyone) can produce a scripture based pro-life argument make no mistake I would be thrilled to hear it, but thus far the pro-death arguments I've heard have just been more truthful.

Crazy as it may be...Thou shalt not kill?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 11:37:21 PM »

That said Storebought's point is very valid though. I've always thought that was dumb myself.

I like Wisconsin's laws on this. No death penalty, but first degree homicide has a mandatory sentence of life without parole.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2005, 11:45:34 PM »

I've read things that say that that particular commandment was mistranslated, and should instead read "Thou shalt not murder" - murder being defined as an unjust killing, rather than an arbitrary sort of killing.  In other words, don't go around killing willy-nilly, but for something such as self-defense, it's okay.

Given how many things for which the Old Testament says you should kill people, I would be inclined to agree with this take on it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2005, 12:15:06 AM »

opposed in all cases
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2005, 06:48:42 AM »

Nope, doesn't apply.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2005, 07:02:13 AM »

I'm generally against the death penalty, but if a case was rock-solid and clearly involved a sociopath likely to offend and impossible to rehabilitate, I would not object strongly.

I agree with DanielX's list, although it would depend on the form of child molestation.  For instance, a 19-year-old sleeping with a 15-year-old is technically child molestation, but I would certainly hope that wouldn't be worthy of the death penalty.

That's not child molestation. Depending on your opinion, it's either perfectly fine or statuatory  rape. Child molestation is when a 35 year old starts screwing an 8 year old.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:31 AM »

The bible says "Thou shall not murder" not "Thou shall not kill".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2005, 01:15:08 PM »

That, plus it's from the Old Testament. It doesn't automatically apply to followers of Jesus. Read jmf's posts.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2005, 01:26:42 PM »

That, plus it's from the Old Testament. It doesn't automatically apply to followers of Jesus. Read jmf's posts.

That is correct as well.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 02:20:01 PM »

That is correct as well.
If my understanding of theology is correct, moral laws were not "nailed to the Cross"; only ceremonial ones were.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »

Optional death penalty sentence for the most violent cases of murder.

Makes sense.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »

I generally support it being an option for murder, repeated rape, treasons, and terrorism.

I do think that we need to do an in depth study of whether it is being applied fairly, though, and correct certain injustices.  I extremely concerned at the moment for all criminal cases that the rich have an unfair advantage opposed to the poor and their is unfair justice.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »

Opposed, unless it's a terrorist and keeping him alive would have national security implications. But I believe endless years in a jail cell is far worse than the death penalty.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »

Oppose in all cases, and additionally we should decriminalize most current 'crime' such as drug related crimes or sex related crimes that do not involve physical coercion, restore ex-convicts to full citizenship, and make prisons safer, more livable, and more pleasant places, in which rape and violence is prevented and education and rehabilitation is given first priority, expense be damned.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2005, 08:25:04 PM »

I support the death penalty for aggravated murder cases.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies