Popular surnames by state,
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:35:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Popular surnames by state,
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Popular surnames by state,  (Read 541 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »

Ancestry.com tallies popular names by state

There are
45 Smith states;
42 Johnson
17 Williams
9 Anderson
8 Brown
8 Miller
5 Garcia
4 Jones
3 Martinez
and
1 each for Chavez, Hernandez, Kim, Lee, Lopez, Nelson, Olson, Sullivan, and Wang.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

I have a sheet I photocopied from a book once, listing the top 20 surnames in telephone books in six different cities.  (I think the list is from the 1970's, but I'm not sure.)  Talk about reinforcing stereotypes.

• Boston's list included Sullivan, Murphy, McCarthy, O'Brien, Kelly, MacDonald, and O'Connor.
  • New York's included Cohen, Schwartz, Levine, Friedman, Goldstein, Levy, and Goldberg.
  • Milwaukee's included Schmidt, Mueller, Schultz, Krueger, Meyer, Schneider, Schroeder, and Fischer.
  • San Francisco's included Lee and Wong.

But the winner was definitely Minneapolis.  The top ten names in order were Johnson, Anderson, Nelson, Peterson, Olson, Larson, Carlson, Smith, Miller, and Thompson.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »

I have a sheet I photocopied from a book once, listing the top 20 surnames in telephone books in six different cities.  (I think the list is from the 1970's, but I'm not sure.)  Talk about reinforcing stereotypes.

• Boston's list included Sullivan, Murphy, McCarthy, O'Brien, Kelly, MacDonald, and O'Connor.
  • New York's included Cohen, Schwartz, Levine, Friedman, Goldstein, Levy, and Goldberg.
  • Milwaukee's included Schmidt, Mueller, Schultz, Krueger, Meyer, Schneider, Schroeder, and Fischer.
  • San Francisco's included Lee and Wong.

But the winner was definitely Minneapolis.  The top ten names in order were Johnson, Anderson, Nelson, Peterson, Olson, Larson, Carlson, Smith, Miller, and Thompson.

It sounds about right. I lived in a house that got the Minneapolis phone book in the 70's. I would add that the list probably doesn't count the many alternate spellings from other Scandinavian areas, like Andersson and Andersen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies