Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:39:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?  (Read 4386 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2018, 02:02:45 AM »

Honestly gun confiscations is the only way that stopping mass killings and school shootings will ever happen but that's not realistic for obvious reasons.

The problem gun control advocates have is that firearms are so entrenched in American culture that you need radical methods to address the issue. Like no-one actually believes that background checks or an assault weapons ban will stop the next school shooter.

ISIS used trucks to kill people, I assume you want to ban trucks to prevent future mass casualty truck attacks as well

I'm tired of this argument being put fourth so I'm finally going to say something--large trucks require a CDL license and a class that you have to pass in order to use one. Assault rifles require no such training, so if you're going to use that senseless argument, then you should at least advocate for the same requirements to own an assault rifle that exist for driving these sorts of vehicles.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 02:10:42 AM »

Honestly gun confiscations is the only way that stopping mass killings and school shootings will ever happen but that's not realistic for obvious reasons.

The problem gun control advocates have is that firearms are so entrenched in American culture that you need radical methods to address the issue. Like no-one actually believes that background checks or an assault weapons ban will stop the next school shooter.

ISIS used trucks to kill people, I assume you want to ban trucks to prevent future mass casualty truck attacks as well

I'm tired of this argument being put fourth so I'm finally going to say something--large trucks require a CDL license and a class that you have to pass in order to use one. Assault rifles require no such training, so if you're going to use that senseless argument, then you should at least advocate for the same requirements to own an assault rifle that exist for driving these sorts of vehicles.

They’ve also had mass knife attacks. Nobody’s calling for knife control. The Boston bombers used a pressure cooker but there’s no crockpot control
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2018, 02:30:28 AM »

I do want to abolish the second amendment.

I do want to ban firearms in general - at the very least you should need a special permit to be able to own a gun.

This works in most western civilized countries.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2018, 02:31:21 AM »

I do want to abolish the second amendment.

I do want to ban firearms in general - at the very least you should need a special permit to be able to own a gun.

This works in most western civilized countries.

Well you are Danish, so fortunately you have no say in American government.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 02:59:15 AM »

I'm tired of this argument being put fourth so I'm finally going to say something--large trucks require a CDL license and a class that you have to pass in order to use one.
that's a pretty freaking big truck and anybody (over 25 perhaps) can get one.  And you don't need a class to use any truck if you steal it (and, ya know, know how to drive it).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 03:59:42 AM »

I'm tired of this argument being put fourth so I'm finally going to say something--large trucks require a CDL license and a class that you have to pass in order to use one.
that's a pretty freaking big truck and anybody (over 25 perhaps) can get one.  And you don't need a class to use any truck if you steal it (and, ya know, know how to drive it).

A bit off topic but in all honesty I'm not sure why you don't need some sort of class to drive these given how bad people drive normal cars.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2018, 04:07:02 AM »

I don't disagree with that.  It's crazy that any douchebag with a (way too easy to get in the US) driver's license can get behind the wheel of one of these monsters for $29.95/day.  Hell, I think it's crazy that regular folk choose to drive Suburban's and Escalades as their daily driver.  So dangerous, wasteful and selfish.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »

They’ve also had mass knife attacks. Nobody’s calling for knife control. The Boston bombers used a pressure cooker but there’s no crockpot control

Actually, in my country there is a pretty hardcore approach to "knife crime" with measures that do amount to knife control:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Although obviously this is a cultural thing, and I highly doubt it would be useful to export my country's mindset to America's.

Tbh I think a lot of the priorities of the gun control movement are out of whack, focusing on scary but ultimately rather irrelevant weapons due to their involvement in school shootings. Which are very awful, no doubt, but a lot of the emotional manipulation around the issue is probably unhelpful (compare with rightsists making similar appeals to  dead kids in support of anti-muslim laws after Manchester etc).

What would probably be more useful are gun laws that clamp down on the sort of illegal guns that flood inner cities (without simultaneously calling for police state expansion wrt stop and search etc which is quite tricky)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2018, 09:13:35 AM by Koharu »

I have no desire to repeal the second amendment. I do think that Heller is a ridiculous ruling and I agree with the dissenting opinion, especially Justice Stevens' opinion, though Breyer's additional opinion (also signed by the four dissenters) is also important.

The second amendment is very much about militias, which is how the early United States ran its military, as there was a huge distrust of standing militaries amongst the American populace. We have, however, become a nation with a standing army, and technology has changed the face of warfare.

So my hope is that the Heller decision will be overturned and that we will see a ban of all handguns and anything with large magazines etc. I do think that shotguns and the slower rifles are completely acceptable, as most farmers I know use those sorts of firearms to protect against vermin etc. Those weapons are also still completely useable for hunting and sport shooting, but they are much more difficult to conceal or use to kill dozens in just a few seconds. I would also be a fan of requiring licensure to own a gun.

I also realize that what I've mentioned above is almost impossible right now, so in the meantime I would most like to see background checks for all gun purchases (no more gun show, online, and flea market sales), a modern database of all weapons purchased, and licensure requirements for ownership. I also think a gun buyback would be a huge help to get at least some guns out of the wild.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

I have no desire to repeal the second amendment. I do think that Heller is a ridiculous ruling and I agree with the dissenting opinion, especially Justice Stevens' opinion, though Breyer's additional opinion (also signed by the four dissenters) is also important.

The second amendment is very much about militias, which is how the early United States ran its military, as there was a huge distrust of standing militaries amongst the American populace. We have, however, become a nation with a standing army, and technology has changed the face of warfare.

So my hope is that the Heller decision will be overturned and that we will see a ban of all handguns and anything with large magazines etc. I do think that shotguns and the slower rifles are completely acceptable, as most farmers I know use those sorts of firearms to protect against vermin etc. Those weapons are also still completely useable for hunting and sport shooting, but they are much more difficult to conceal or use to kill dozens in just a few seconds. I would also be a fan of requiring licensure to own a gun.

I also realize that what I've mentioned above is almost impossible right now, so in the meantime I would most like to see background checks for all gun purchases (no more gun show, online, and flea market sales), a modern database of all weapons purchased, and licensure requirements for ownership. I also think a gun buyback would be a huge help to get at least some guns out of the wild.

I'm very much with you on higher thresholds for purchase and ownership. In general I'm okay with a handgun ban at least of semi-autos. I do personally know several ranchers and regular backcountry travelers for whom their sidearm IS an essential tool for dealing with dangerous wildlife, mostly rattlesnakes. They all pack revolvers. (Plus high-powered rifles in grizzly country.) I know of no reason for needing them inside of city limits, other than the inconvenience of needing to remove and securely store them before heading into town.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »

I'm very much with you on higher thresholds for purchase and ownership. In general I'm okay with a handgun ban at least of semi-autos. I do personally know several ranchers and regular backcountry travelers for whom their sidearm IS an essential tool for dealing with dangerous wildlife, mostly rattlesnakes. They all pack revolvers. (Plus high-powered rifles in grizzly country.) I know of no reason for needing them inside of city limits, other than the inconvenience of needing to remove and securely store them before heading into town.
You don't think grocery store owners in the city need to protect themselves from thugs that rob, don't you?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »

As other people have already mentioned, very few people in the U.S. want to ban all guns, and even fewer have any sort of political power. So just relax, it's all going to be fine.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »

I have said this many times before on this forum, but what really needs to happen is not the repeal of the Second Amendment but the re-prioritization and reinterpreting of it. That's already starting to happen and it's entirely possible that in future at some point, the average American will look at it as one of the less important and less sacred parts of the constitution thus allowing our politicians the ability to legislate about its content or our courts to establish new precedent. It's happened before when the Second Amendment started being interpreted the way it is now, and it can (and probably should) happen again in the other direction.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Nobody wants to take your f**king guns.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »

Nobody wants to take your f**king guns.

I do.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

Why don't Republicans just say it out loud: Repeal the First Amendment.

Just say it out loud: you want to establish a state religion.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »

While I don't think there should be a constitutional amendment guaranteeing a right to own a weapon, since no other country has an equivalent, I do believe there is a constitutional right to own weapons. I fully support the ownership of handguns and non-automatic shotguns and hunting rifles.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »

While I don't think there should be a constitutional amendment guaranteeing a right to own a weapon, since no other country has an equivalent, I do believe there is a constitutional right to own weapons. I fully support the ownership of handguns and non-automatic shotguns and hunting rifles.
The problem is that the 2nd Amendment has been turned into the gun industry's right to a business model that revolves around anti-personnel weapons, no matter what the consequences. It is ultimately just one more case of an industry externalizing costs to the detriment of the public.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »

Repeal the 2nd Amendment and replace it with something more suitable for the 21st century.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »

They can't because being honest about what they truly believe would hamper their 2018 efforts.

I think the percentage of Democrats who would actually support a complete civilian gun ban would be incredibly low.

Do you really think they wouldn't take the opportunity to do so if it actually presented itself? When you give them an inch, they always take it a mile.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »

They can't because being honest about what they truly believe would hamper their 2018 efforts.

I think the percentage of Democrats who would actually support a complete civilian gun ban would be incredibly low.

Do you really think they wouldn't take the opportunity to do so if it actually presented itself? When you give them an inch, they always take it a mile.

You've got it wrong. When we take it an inch, we convert it to centimeters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies