Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:47:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why don't Democrats just say it out loud: Repeal the Second Amendment?  (Read 4421 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »

Just say it, you want to ban all guns.

Do it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »

I think that's the fear, but it isn't true. I would oppose a ban, and there are times where I would even buy or advise someone I cared about to acquire a firearm. Believe it or not, not every issue is about one extreme or the other.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »

Because they'd lose their momentum this fall, as well as the big elections in 2020.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »

Just say it, you want to ban all guns.

Do it.

Wanting to repeal 2A is not the same thing as wanting to ban all guns.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

Maybe because that’s just your dumb straw man and not actually the position that rank and file democrats support? Jesus Bronz, how many of this same thread have you made this week?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »

Bronz...you sound really salty this morning...what's wrong, got cut off my by a couple of 16 year olds on their way to the March for our lives rally? Sad!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »

Bronz...you sound really salty this morning...what's wrong, got cut off my by a couple of 16 year olds on their way to the March for our lives rally? Sad!
I don't mind banning assault weapons. That should be banned. However, why confiscate handguns in the middle of the night?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »

I don't mind banning assault weapons. That should be banned. However, why confiscate handguns in the middle of the night?

To keep society safe.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »

Not all of the left supports banning guns. Even Bill Maher (one of the top opponents of the 2nd Amendment) owns one.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »

To keep society safe.
Safety is a privilege, not a right.  No one is promised another day.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »

To keep society safe.

What about protection. How do you protect yourself, you trust everyone in America, you think America is a lovey-lovey country don't you? Do you want civil war?
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »

Why repeal it? It just needs to be interpreted the way it was for 200 years, before the NRA and the Roberts Court got their grubby hands on it.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2018, 11:04:51 PM by Vice President PiT »

almost no one wants to actually repeal the 2nd Amendment.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »

It’s impossible to repeal so they would be idiots to campaign on it. I wouldn’t put it above morons like warren or Bernie to campaign on though. There’s no way you’d get 2/3 of States to vote to demolish part of the bill of rights after 230 years
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »

It’s impossible to repeal so they would be idiots to campaign on it. I wouldn’t put it above morons like warren or Bernie to campaign on though. There’s no way you’d get 2/3 of States to vote to demolish part of the bill of rights after 230 years

But if i dont like it that means its not a right.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

The idea that "MUH AR-15" is an inalienable right is entirely an invention of the radical orginalists on the Roberts Court. It turns out that you can completely reinterpret amendments hundreds of years after they were written, who'd have thunk it?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »

The idea that "MUH AR-15" is an inalienable right is entirely an invention of the radical orginalists on the Roberts Court. It turns out that you can entirely reinterpret amendments hundreds of years after they were written, who'd have thunk it?
Based on your logic, the right to a free press doesn't protect Internet blogs.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »

The idea that "MUH AR-15" is an inalienable right is entirely an invention of the radical orginalists on the Roberts Court. It turns out that you can entirely reinterpret amendments hundreds of years after they were written, who'd have thunk it?

You know the first machine guns were invented in the 1700s right? So the founders knew that it wasn’t just muskets that people would be using 200 years in the future. Besides, Jefferson and Madison would’ve been almost Gary Johnson like if they were alive today, no way they’d think the govt should be going about rounding up property of people who did nothing wrong
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »

The idea that "MUH AR-15" is an inalienable right is entirely an invention of the radical orginalists on the Roberts Court. It turns out that you can completely reinterpret amendments hundreds of years after they were written, who'd have thunk it?

Fake news. See:

Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »

Based on your logic, the right to a free press doesn't protect Internet blogs.

My point is that the Constitution is a living document, and amendments can be interpreted, reshaped, and assigned meaning that's more appropriate to the modern world. The irony is that orginalists, who supposedly favor the strictest interpretation of the Constitution, casually redefined an archaic amendment to suit their narrow political agenda.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

To keep society safe.

If the police are minutes away and I have only seconds, my widow will post my posthumous response if your policy desires become reality.

My family and I are safer because I am a trained firearm owner.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »

"We should keep the second amendment not because it has any benefit to society, but because getting rid of it is hard"
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »

Fake news. See:

Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886)

1. The fact that the most recent pre-Heller Second Amendment case you can find is from 1886 doesn't exactly prove that the amendment wasn't archaic by the time Heller came around, lol

2. Presser is a weird case to cite, given that it essentially legitimized a form of mass gun control and held that state governments weren't bound by the Bill of Rights (which is obviously archaic, since most of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated by now)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »

Bronz...dude...calm down.

Democrats do not want to take away your guns.  There is no serious debate about banning *all* guns.  Assault weapons? Absolutely. But you’ve already said you support that too.

You really need to stop watching Fox News and listening to talk radio. It’s warping your view of reality.

As a Democrat, and a gun owner myself I can assuredly tell you that banning every.single.gun is not on our agenda.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

"We should keep the second amendment not because it has any benefit to society, but because getting rid of it is hard"

Well if there’s an armed burglar in my home and my family is at risk, the 2A benefits society. If a rapist attacks an armed woman and she’s able to shoot him it benefits society, if there’s anarchy after a disaster and you need to protect your stuff from looters, it benefits society. If someone is being beaten to within an inch of his life and you shoot the attacker it benefits society. Gun control laws won’t do anything to effect criminals. It’s not like they’re gonna be like “oh darn it. Looks like we need to turn our guns in.” If libs thought with their logic and common sense and not on feelings they’d notice that they’re better off with the 2A too. What if there’s a lynch mob of Klansmen going after a black activist? Wouldn’t it be better if he had a gun to defend himself from the klan?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies