Orange County communities vow to do whatever it takes to keep homeless out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:53:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Orange County communities vow to do whatever it takes to keep homeless out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Orange County communities vow to do whatever it takes to keep homeless out  (Read 1689 times)
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-homeless-collapse-oc-20180322-story.html

[quote]Just a few days ago, Orange County appeared to have a grand plan to deal with its swelling homeless population.

The idea was to move hundreds of people being evicted from camps along the Santa Ana River into motels and eventually into three temporary shelters in Huntington Beach, Irvine and Laguna Niguel, marking the county's most concrete effort yet to find housing for the unsheltered.

But the plan is now in serious jeopardy after those three communities vowed to do whatever it takes to keep the shelters out. Leaders in Irvine and Laguna Niguel voted to sue the county to block the shelter plan, and local officials want to drop the Huntington Beach location.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »

B-b-but I thought they were becoming Solidly Progressive because Hillary won the county!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »

A lot of total f**king scumbag cities seem to give their homeless one way tickets to the bay area.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:13 PM »

A lot of total f**king scumbag cities seem to give their homeless one way tickets to the bay area.
or, ya know, the exact opposite of that Smiley
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »

B-b-but I thought they were becoming Solidly Progressive because Hillary won the county!

This doesn't conflict with voting for the Democratic Party at all unfortunately.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »

Orange County local offices are mostly controlled by Republicans (albeit there will likely be significant turnover under Trump's tenure).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »

It has nothing to do with party. There are hardcore progressives who don't want shelters in their area.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:48:04 PM »

and i should care why?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »

Exactly. It's not like you are your brother's keeper.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »

It has nothing to do with party. There are hardcore progressives who don't want shelters in their area.

True, NIMBYism cuts across the political spectrum.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 01:10:56 AM »

proabably should be be specific b/c Orange County  FL also has a huge homeless problem but they seem to have their act together a bit more in dealing with it.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/15/what-can-the-orange-county-in-florida-teach-its-west-coast-counterpart-about-homelessness-plenty-says-one-advocate/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »

As a former resident of Laguna Niguel, it does not surprise me that it is hostile to the notion of hosting anyone who does not fit into its self image as a bourgeoise paradise. 
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:14:47 AM »

To be fair these people voted for Trump anyway. It's the Asian population growing and trending D that causes OC's Democratic trend. Wealthy towns filled with (old) wealthy whites still voted for Trump by a large margin.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »

Where does it say where that is so?

And if it does, why isn't the rest of that source equally authoritative?
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »

To be fair these people voted for Trump anyway. It's the Asian population growing and trending D that causes OC's Democratic trend. Wealthy towns filled with (old) wealthy whites still voted for Trump by a large margin.
No most didn't you'll find that Irvine voted for Hillary in a landslide and Trump barely won Laguna Nigel. Huntington Beach voted for Trump by a lot smaller margin then Romney. I'm not sure why people think this has anything to do with political party preference, no one wants a homeless camp right next to them. I was watching people being interviewed on the news and both Democrats and Republicans didn't want them.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

Is it possible to be a true "hardcore progressive" and be cruel to the homeless?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »

Is it possible to be a true "hardcore progressive" and be cruel to the homeless?

Of course. Progressivism is evil.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »

True, NIMBYism cuts across the political spectrum.

Ted Kennedy took a lot of heat during the 1970's Boston busing crisis. People were upset that he was sending his kids to a almost all white Washington private school, while his constituents were sending their kids to integrated public schools.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »

Where does it say where that is so?

And if it does, why isn't the rest of that source equally authoritative?

i dont want a bunch of smelly drug addicts living next to me, why do you people think you'd want that?
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »

Obviously you wouldn't care, considering you proudly stated you wouldn't give anything to charity if you had $100 million dollars. There's a term for someone with a total lack of empathy, but name calling is against forum rules.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

No most didn't you'll find that Irvine voted for Hillary in a landslide and Trump barely won Laguna Nigel. Huntington Beach voted for Trump by a lot smaller margin then Romney. I'm not sure why people think this has anything to do with political party preference, no one wants a homeless camp right next to them. I was watching people being interviewed on the news and both Democrats and Republicans didn't want them.

Oh, you're right. I mixed them up with Villa Park and Yorba Linda, but they weren't mentioned in the article Tongue.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2018, 12:37:01 PM by King Lear »

This is just more evidence of the Racism that still pervades much of Orange County (especially Wealthy White communities like Newport Beach). As someone who lives here, I can tell you the only reason Clinton won the county was due to the massive growth of the Hispanic and Asian population, because the Wealthy White people in places like Newport Beach went overwhelmingly for Trump (I've even seen Old White people their wearing "MAGA" hats and putting a bunch of Trump signs on their lawns). Another disturbing trend in the area is that I've seen no evidence to suggest the Kids of these people are any less Conservative then their parents. For Example, I heard a horrible story in the news in which the son of a Wealthy White family in Newport Beach, murdered his Gay friend because he became a White Supremacist (his family was also very Catholic, so that may have had something to do with it). When you take all this into context it shows how hard it's going to be for Democrats to flip the 3 OC House seats this year (CA-39, CA-45, and CA-48), especially with the fact the Hispanics and Asians that flipped the county in 2016, will be voting in lower numbers, thus causing the Wealthy White population to be over represented in the electorate.
mencken
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

This is just more evidence of the Racism that still pervades much of Orange County (especially Wealthy White communities like Newport Beach). As someone who lives here, I can tell you the only reason Clinton won the county was due to the massive growth of the Hispanic and Asian population, because the Wealthy White people in places like Newport Beach went overwhelmingly for Trump (I've even seen Old White people their wearing "MAGA" hats and putting a bunch of Trump signs on their lawns). Another disturbing trend in the area is that I've seen no evidence to suggest the Kids of these people are any less Conservative then their parents. For Example, I heard a horrible story in the news in which the son of a Wealthy White family in Newport Beach, murdered his Gay friend because he became a White Supremacist (his family was also very Catholic, so that may have had something to do with it). When you take all this into context it shows how hard it's going to be for Democrats to flip the 3 House seats this year (CA-39, CA-45, and CA-48), especially with the fact the Hispanics and Asians that flipped the county will be voting in lower numbers, thus causing the Wealthy White population to be over represented in the electorate.

Newport Beach swung 15% against Trump.
Joey1996

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »

"These are the counties that are moving forward." - Hillary Clinton.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »

"The Homeless" are not monolithic.  There are several classes of Homeless.

There are the "Homeless Families".  These are the Homeless liberal politicians want you to believe are the bulk of the Homeless.  Folks just like you and me that fell on hard times and now can't support themselves.  These are the Homeless that draw the most sympathy because of the "It could be us!" factor.  

There are the "Homeless Mentally Ill" that, once upon a time, were locked away in asylums.  Most folks alive don't remember that.  These folks are a combination of folks that are unable to access needed services (other than on an Emergency basis) and folks who are flat-out non-compliant with their medications and are not likely to be in the future.  This category also includes some "Homeless Vets", many of whom compiled less than stellar service records and have histories of non-compliance with VA services.

There are the "Homeless Sex Offenders" who are homeless because they cannot afford housing that is in compliance with local and state laws that limit how close these folks can live from schools, playgrounds, etc.  Many have jobs, and have the financial ability to AFFORD housing, but they cannot find what they can afford in a place where it's OK to live.  

I'm not defending the posture of Orange County's local politicians.  Most "local" politicians are extremely parochial, looking to demonize something or someone to appear heroic with an eye to higher office.  The real solutions to the problems of the homeless are expensive, and the homeless in America aren't a cross-section of the whole of America; they are, disproportionately folks with serious emotional and behavioral dysfunctions whose presence in their communities, in the aggregate, reduce the level of public safety.  In fashioning a REAL solution to American Homelessness, taking into account who the homeless really are and the impact on public safety they truly cause might be more constructive than leftist tut-tutting about the reactionary response to large numbers of these folks in the presence of a community where others with to not only FEEL safe, but actually BE safe.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies