People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Ninja0428
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:06:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Ninja0428
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Ninja0428  (Read 4734 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
« edited: March 23, 2018, 07:22:54 PM by Rep. Oakvale »

Your Honors,

The Department of Justice and the Office of the Attorney General hereby charge Ninja0428, Speaker of the Lincoln regional assembly, with treasonous acts against the Republic of Atlasia, specifically by conspiring to subvert the federal prohibition on the destruction of public records as outlined in the Criminal Justice Act (2017), §3 c.1 (e) -

You must be logged in to read this quote.

During the proceedings of this trial the Department will present comprehensive and compelling evidence that the accused is guilty of subverting this provision by conspiring to conduct official public business in an off-site room (hereafter ‘the Discord’) and, furthermore, when confronted on the matter, refusing to entertain requests for clarification, thus furthering the antidemocratic actions he had undertaken and conducting actions tantamount to the destruction of Public Records as outlined in the Criminal Justice Act.

During the trial, I will prove to the Court, the jury, and to the people of Atlasia that the accused actively conspired to conceal Public Records and subvert the binding legal provisions of the aforementioned Act (or 'CJA'). I will furthermore outline the Department's crucial legal distinction between the informal discussion of legislation and public business outside the auspices of formally assigned threads - a long-standing and, for the most part, innocuous, part of Atlasian political life - and the criminal acts committed by the Speaker in this instance.

For your convenience, the Constitution of Atlasia governs criminal prosecutions in §10 -

Pursuant to the above, I thus request that the Supreme Court promptly assign a Justice to preside over this trial, empanel a jury of the defendant’s peers as legally required, and to propose a manner I may submit evidence and call witnesses so that the presiding Justice may determine its admissibility.

I have informed the defendant of the charges against him and of his right to legal counsel. Should it be necessary, I am willing to delay the beginning of proceedings so that the defendant has time to retain counsel. I have also offered the assistance of my Department in assigning legal counsel if for whatever reason the defendant cannot obtain such representation without assistance.

I thank the Court for its time and hope for an efficient and transparent trial.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »

This has been seen.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

Should the court take up the question, I will act as attorney for the defense in this matter.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »

The Supreme Court has decided to take the case and has assigned Lincoln Justice Blair to preside this trial.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2018, 04:40:38 PM by Blair »

All rise. The court is now in session. The honourable Lincoln Associate Justice Blair presiding.

Today's case is the People of the Republic of Atlasia v Lincoln Assembly Member Ninja (who will be referred to as Ninja for the duration of this trial).The Department of Justice is charging the defendant with conspiring to subvert the federal prohibition on  the destruction of public records, as outlined in section 3 (e) of the Criminal Justice Act (2017). I remind the defendant that this crime has a maximum punishment [edit] of one year. [edit]

I note that the defender has suggested that he will plead not guilty; but I request that Njina comes into court and formally submit his plea.

I also wish that Ninja confirm again for the court that Harry S Truman will be his attorney.

This will be the first step- if Ninja pleads guilty then we'll skip the Jury selection, and go straight to sentencing. If he pleads not guilty then we shall move to Jury Selection. I will go into more detail about how the selection will work when we reach that step.

I will be contacting both Attorney General Oakvale, and Harry S Truman as well.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »

I officially plead not guilty and confirm that Harry S Truman will act as my attorney.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »

I officially plead not guilty and confirm that Harry S Truman will act as my attorney.

Thank you, and noted.

I will be contacting both Oakvale and Harry S Truman to begin discovery, and to allow both the prosecution and defense to see the evidence, and witnesses that either side will want to introduce.

In the interest of time, I will also be calling jurors from Lincoln through the use of a random number generator. I will most likely do this tomorrow morning, as I need to find out if any witnesses are getting called so that they can be excluded from the Jury Pool.

As with RL court, both the defense and prosecution will be allowed to object to jurors, and I will rule on these objections.

Before the case starts I would like to make some general comments. This is the first criminal trial we've had in Atlasia in a while (I seem to recall threats/and even some chargers made, but we haven't had a trial of this magnitude in a while).

For this reason I'd like to request that all those involved refrain from making lengthy statements outside the court, or attempting to provide a constant commentary, simply because it makes the job of the Jury, the court and all those involved much more difficult. We have a system set up to deal with cases exactly like this

I trust, and know both AG Oakvale and Truman will act with integrity, but I'm making this comment as a general comment so that it's on the record that whilst this case will deal with an issue of controversy, this is the setting we have to sort cases like this out. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »

I thank the Court for its speedy action on this matter and for not dismissing the case out of hand on the grounds that there is no country called "Atlasa" as my typo'd title initially read.

I look forward to a fair and open process and trust that jurors can ignore the unfortunate political posturing that's surrounded this case.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »

I thank the Court for its speedy action on this matter and for not dismissing the case out of hand on the grounds that there is no country called "Atlasa" as my typo'd title initially read.

Idem sonans
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »

Jury Selection.

Order, Order.

As I've said to both Attorney's my hope is to get the early part of the trial does as quickly as possible, so I've begun jury selection in the hope that the opening statements, arguments and witness cross examination can begin next week.

Using google's own random number generator, the following numbers were selected for Jury duty

38, 10, 63, 43 and 3

The constitution states that the jury should be selected from the region in which the accused crime was committed; in this case it's Lincoln, so the jury will be selected from registered citizens of Lincoln.

The following numbers were cross-referenced with the most recent census bureau to get the following names.

Not_Madigan.
Ciync.
Winfield.
Poirot.
Adam Griffin.

The following jurors will be PM'd, and asked if they can take part in the case. I will be reviewing their posts to see if they've made any comments on the case which could impact their impartiality, and I will allow both the defense and prosecution to object to jurors, and will then consider such objections.

If there are no objections, or issues with any Jurors, then I will invite the jurors to swear an oath in the court.

Bangs gavel.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »

Following a discussion potential Juror Not_Madigan has removed himself from consideration citing a conflict of interest in the case.

Another random number was taken and it was 16.

Governor Illiniwek will be called for jury selection.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »

Following a discussion potential Juror Winfield has withdrawn himself from Jury Duty.

The random number drawn was 16.

TJ in Cleve will be called for Jury Selection.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »

Following a discussion potential Juror Poirot has been recused from Jury duty over a potential conflict of interest in the case.

The random number was drawn, and it was 19.

Jake Jewvinivisk is hereby called for Jury Duty.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »

The final list of jurors who’ve all indicated they will serve and who’ve been assigned to this case are,

Adam Griffin.
CINYC
Governor Illiniwek
TJ in Cleve
Jake Jewvinivisk

Both Oakvale and Harry S Truman have 24 hours to object to any of these jurors if they wish
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »

As there are no objection, and as I've finished discussions with both the prosecution and defense about the evidence, and witnesses that are to be allowed in the trial I will now invite the jurors to swear in.

Can jurors please take the following oath?

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 06:07:53 AM »

I, Adam Griffin, affirm that I will well and truly try the matter in issue between the parties, and give a true verdict according to the law and evidence, so help me Dave.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »

I Jake Jewvinivisk swear that I will well and truly try the matter in issue between the parties, and give a true verdict according to the law and evidence, so help me Dave.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »

I, Illiniwek, affirm that I will well and truly try the matter in issue between the parties, and give a true verdict according to the law and evidence, so help me Dave.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »

I, TJ in Cleve, affirm that I will well and truly try the matter in issue between the parties, and give a true verdict according to the law and evidence, so help me Dave.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »

I, cinyc, swear that I will well and truly try the matter in issue between the parties, and give a true verdict according to the law and evidence, so help me Dave.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2018, 05:12:40 PM by Blair »

I'd like to thank the Jurors for swearing in, and for the service that they are doing for Atlasia. It's a duty that is rarely called upon, but equally is one of great importance.

I invite the prosecution to present it's case, and to call any of the witnesses that they require. After that the defense will present it's case, and also call any witnesses that it wishes. [edit] All witnesses must be sworn in by myself; because of the time difference I had a vision of a witness being called in overnight and giving evidence before I could get them sworn in. [edit]

If either side have objections to any lines of questioning, or discussion please raise them with the court, and a ruling will be made.

I invite Attorney General Oakvale to begin.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 06:12:07 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 09:12:52 AM by Rep. Oakvale »

Your Honor, members of the jury, Secretary Truman —

I will begin with the bare facts of the case.

Timeline:

On 17 March, 2018, President fhtagn, as a concerned citizen, posted a question to the members of the Lincoln Assembly in the thread L.10.7.3 Act to Repeal The Balanced Budget Requirement , asking, in good faith, about checks on the debt following a potential repeal of the regional article requiring balanced budgets. The defendant - the Speaker of the Lincoln Assembly, Ninja0428 - ignored the President’s question and announced that a vote was open that same day.

The President then reiterated her question and raised concerns about elected officials ignoring their constituents and concealing their intentions. The argument between the two continued, until the Speaker revealed the following -

The President expressed understandable confusion at this apparently blatantly untrue assertion -

The defendant then replied -

Revealing that legislators had, in contravention of federal law, conducted official public business outside Atlas Forum, specifically on the ‘Discord’ web chat app (hereafter simply ‘Discord’), thus preventing the retention of Public Records as outlined in the CJA.

I would also note the contemptuous and undemocratic attitude which the Speaker reveals in his sneering and dismissive response to the President’s honest and reasonable enquiry.

The controversy over the use of a secretive, shadowy backroom to conduct the business of the region continued in the thread The Use Of Discord, where citizens discussed the growing unease about the revelations made by the Speaker in his insulting response to the President.

In response to the legitimate and entirely accurate point by Rep. wxtransit that not all Atlas users participate in Discord, the Speaker responded -

In this instance we have the Speaker claiming that -

1. It is his call as an elected official, not the mandates of federal statute, to decide, on a whim, whether the public has a right to know decisions undertaken by their elected officials.

2. He strives for transparency in ‘most’ aspects of government (!), presumably, again, at his sole discretion, and that, ‘everything of importance’ has been made public - again, something for which we have his word and only his word.

3. That if a citizen requests to see the business of their government they must submit a request for logs of the Discord chat which, as all jurors will doubtless be aware, have no means by which to confirm veracity and which could be easily selectively edited or manufactured.

I would quote in this case the relevant and insightful comments by citizens Mr. Reactionary and Bacon King, which I believe both show the revulsion of ordinary citizens at the conspiracy by a member of the Assembly to destroy Public Records, and provide a good summary of the absurdity of the defendant’s claims:

Members of congress can discuss bills over lunch, but itd be pretty shady if when they came back to the chamber they claimed they'd already entertained a motion to proceed at Shoney's. Floor motions are called that because they take place on the chamber floor.

Why isn't it OK to do that on Discord? Is it that important? All you have done is talk about how bad that is without giving a legitimate reason.

haha wait what you guys literally HELD A VOTE on discord???

and you don't understand why that's not appropriate for a forum government sim?? it's literally the same thing as if a group of U.S. Senators met in a bar somewhere and all started voting on legislation among themselves and deciding this was totally the same thing as passing the bills in the actual senate

Rep. wxtransit furthermore provided what I believe is a concise and accurate summation of the issues at hand in his outraged response to the Speaker’s flailing justifications -

You don't understand what an oligarchy is.
I'm done with this argument, it's useless. If Lincolnites demand that we motion for the vote on Atlas, so be it.

Ah, so those who are concerned about this disrespectful undemocratic precedent you're setting should not be able to have their concerns heard if they don't live in Lincoln, even though they'll be affected (it is precedent, after all)?

Also, Lincolnites have to demand to be able to have transparency in their government that is mandated by law in the United States? What you're doing is against the law in RL. In fact...

writes new bill
You continue to beat the drum with this me asking people if they're ready to vote in Discord is an "undemocratic precedent" without giving why it is as significant enough to give it such a harsh label. And whether you like it or not, this is Atlasia, not the United States, and if we're going into to the RL realm then this is even less significant than it was before.  
[/quote]

So this is the Wild West? We should not be transparent in our government because "we're not the United States"? There's a reason what you're doing is illegal in RL. You are (intentionally or unintentionally) hiding discussion from the public. And whether it's as menial as calling for a vote or as important as voting, the people need to know. The people should be entitled to see every move their legislator makes that pertains to their officeholding duty. And calling for a vote falls under that.

It's undemocratic because every Atlasian should know what their officeholders are doing pertaining to their office. You're withholding that information, and doing it in secret. That's setting a dangerous precedent.

I'm not "beating my drum". I'm exposing the fact that you are, purposefully or not, acting below the standard of the office you were elected to by withholding information from the people who elected you.
[/quote]Well my apologies for saying one thing pertaining to the legislative process on Discord, which I haven't even withheld from the public, as otherwise we would not be having this conversation. It has been made publicly known. I still fully support government transparency, is some ways that some people would consider absurd. I was just acting in a manner that I found to be more efficient. If you want logs, we can provide that. And could you please not attack me after I have expressed a desire for this whole debacle to be over and a willingness to comply with your demands.
[/quote]

1. Efficency =/= always good
2. Legislative process shouldn't be on Discord in the first place, it should be in the thread that was made for it
3. Shouldn't have to request logs to see information that should be publicly visible in the first place
4. What demands? Government should be transparent in the first place
5. What attack? I'm just responding to your posts in a quite civil way. I see no attack here, unless having government transparency is an attack on you in some way

And, if I may point out, if you are so able to respond on this thread within minutes of my posting thought the past day or two with a paragraph or two of text, is it not easier to type out a sentence of text calling for a vote or recording your vote on Atlas?

Also, why do you want to get this discussion, which is raising many key details important to the framework of our democracy, "over with"? You're the one that committed the offence in the first place.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Few could have put it better - in conspiring to conceal Public Records from his constituents, Ninja0428 set a dangerous  and undemocratic precedent and betrayed the faith and trust of the people he was elected to represent through secret deals and smokey backrooms. Most essentially, he conspired to subvert the provisions of our federal law.

The legal questions:

The Criminal Justice Act (2017), hereafter simply ‘CJA’ or ‘the Act’, classes as treason against the Atlasian state the Destruction of Public Records.

In §3 c.1 (e) -

The clause, originally introduced to the bill by Senator Scott in the Senate discussion on the Act, sets out clear and binding legal requirements, both explicit and implicit, on all citizens to maintain Public Records of government activity, accessible to all, to allow for an open and transparent governmental process.

Let us examine the relevant provision of the CJA in depth.

We will first take the clause at its most painfully literal and narrow interpretation. The Speaker, it is true, did not, in a literal sense, delete a thread. If that is the pitifully low standard we set for ourselves than he is not guilty. But, by actively conspiring to conduct official business of the legislature out of public view and inaccessible to the majority of Atlasians, there was, surely, no need to delete the thread.

You don’t have to delete a thread to destroy Public Records, ladies and gentlemen, if you simply subvert the provision by never creating those Records in the first instance.

Public Records of official legislative business, where the Lincoln Assembly supposedly agreed, in private and behind closed doors, to hold a vote on a motion - in order that they would ignore a concerned citizen’s humble question - do not exist. This is fundamentally identical to their brief existence and subsequent deletion, and I thus put it to the honorable jurors that the scurrilous actions of the defendant were illegal under even the most impossible strict reading of the CJA. His actions were tantamount to and functionally identical to the deletion of Public Records.

But, as all can see, the common sense, implicit reading of the CJA makes the criminal culpability of the  defendant ever clearer. The CJA clearly recognises the vital importance to our democratic institutions of having publicly accessible - by all - Public Records of legislation and executive actions, hence its eminently reasonable prohibition on their destruction.

I thus put it to the jury that, whether or not he was aware of the federal prohibitions in their specifics, the defendant actively conspired to subvert the provisions of the CJA by concealing Public Records from their rightful owners, the Atlasian people, revealing a troubling contempt for democracy and a flagrant disregard for both federal statute and his solemn oath to uphold the Constitution.

These actions were only highlighted by his sneering response to the President’s questions on the use of the Discord and his continued dismissal of the honest concerns of Atlasian citizens in the subsequent discussion thread on the issue.

The defendant, and the defendant’s political allies, in a craven attempt to paint this trial as a politically motivated act, have argued that there was never any question of any illegality, merely poor judgement, on the part of the defendant.

But this argument is undercut by the apparent existence - briefly - of a pardon issued by the Governor of Lincoln, AZ, to the defendant, which was apparently deleted after minutes.

The Department is examining these allegations for the potential applicability of the same clause of the CJA to the alleged deletion of the pardon.

The evidence for its - temporary - existence are from two posts in the thread StormTV late march coverage: The latest of Atlasian political news:

From Not_Madigan:

Its existence and subsequent deletion was then confirmed by dfwlibertlover, who I would note is an ally of the defendant -

Like astronomers discovering celestial bodies through their impact on the orbits of other planets, we can thus deduce that the Governor attempted to issue a pardon and then, for whatever reason, furtively deleted it.

It is entirely true, to pre-empt argument, that a pardon issued by the Governor would have in any event have been irrelevant, since this is a matter of federal, not regional law. Nonetheless its existence shows evidence of concerns about criminality surrounding the actions of the defendant are not manufactured from whole cloth but, quite rightly, swirled around the issue following its explosion as a topic of heated national debate.

In short, the Department of Justice believes that, based on an overwhelming cornucopia of evidence, the comments of multiple Atlasian citizens outlined above and the apparent evidence for a - destroyed  - record of an attempted pardon issued by the Governor, as discussed in detail above, that the defendant, Ninja0428, Speaker of the regional Assembly, conspired to subvert the binding legal provisions, both implicit and explicit of the Criminal Justice Act (2017) by conducting, and admitting to, actions tantamount to the Destruction of Public Records as outlined in §3 c.1 (e) of the CJA.

His actions represented both the functional equivalent of the Destruction of Public Records and an attempt to bypass the federal prohibitions on such an action. On this, given the overwhelming weight of evidence, there can surely be little doubt. There is only a question of the offences’ severity, which I will now discuss.

Conclusion, sentencing recommendation, and witnesses

I am acutely aware that this case has been the subject of considerable public debate. Some of that has been in good faith. Some of that has been cynical politicking from the usual suspects. I trust that the jury will ignore the furore over the decision to bring these charges and focus on - and only on - the evidence that you hear before you today.

To that end, I wish to address one of the more emotive issues that has emerged around this trial - the question of ‘treason’. The usage of this evocative, charged word is not my choice - it is simply the section of the CJA under which the relevant provision is listed. No serious person would claim that the actions of the defendant are comparable to open sedition against the government of the nation or to shadowy dealings with hostile powers. That is thus not my contention today. I trust that the honorable members of the jury will not deliberate upon the linguistic connotations of the word ‘treason’ and instead simply consider whether, in their best estimation, the actions of the defendant amount to a conspiracy to subvert the statutory provisions on the retention of public records as outlined in the CJA.

Should the defendant be found guilty in the estimation of his peers, I would humbly advise the Court that the Department of Justice recommends a modest sentence consisting of a three-month ban on officeholding, and that the Court do not impose upon the convicted a ban on voting. We believe that while this would set a strong precedent of our democratic institutions defending themselves from assault by punishing wrongdoing, it would also be proportional to the crime committed.

I thank the Court, and would ask that the hon. Justice Blair call to the stand Mike Wells and Jimmy7812, members of the Lincoln Assembly at the time of the criminal action undertaken by the defendant, and, additionally, Governor AZ to answer questions under oath about the alleged pardon.

Should it please the Court I would also request that I retain the option following the deposition of Governor AZ to call to the stand Not_Madigan and dfwlibertylover to, if necessary, clarify the alleged existence of this pardon.

Thank you.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »

It's my fault for not posting this before, and the ruling would apply more so to witnesses but when edits are made to posts can people do it as such [edit] insert new comment [edit] as it saves me from having to screenshot new posts every time.

I know that 99.9% of edits won't be malicious, but because the nature of the setting it will make things much easier.

I thank the Attorney General for his presentation, and argument. I will allow a short portion of time for the defense Attorney Truman to raise any objections, as I feel it would be unfair to proceed to witness questioning without giving him such a chance (as he hasn't been online since the AG posted)

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Your Honor, I object:

Whether or not the Governor of Lincoln or any other citizen believed my client's actions to be illegal is irrelevant. The purpose of this trial is not to test whether the actions of my client on the 17th of March meet a vague and subjective standard for transparency; my client has been charged with a specific offense under federal law and must be judged according to the merits of those charges alone. Suggesting that my client is guilty of Treason because the governor deleted a pardon, which supposedly shows there were "concerns of criminality," does nothing to prove or disprove the charges and is a highly improper attempt to distract the jury with irrelevant slander.

(1) That the Governor of Lincoln sought to pardon my client does not prove a crime was committed. At most, it proves the governor may have believed a crime was committed, or that he believed others would reach this conclusion. The opinions of executive magistrates do not constitute proof of criminal guilt, any more than a mob armed with pitchforks and torches chanting "Lock Him Up" constitutes a "free and fair trial." My client must be judged only on the merits of the charges brought against him as they relate to the letter of the Law, and not on the uninformed opinions of private citizens.

(2) That the Governor of Lincoln sought to pardon my client for an alleged criminal offense does not prove my client guilty of the charges brought against him. My client is not being tried for "criminality" as defined by the patrons of the Fantasy Elections board; he is being tried for a specific offense under the Criminal Justice Act. The prosecution is right to note that the Governor of Lincoln has no power to issue pardons for crimes committed under federal law, so it seems unlikely that the alleged pardon even related to the charges being brought by the Department of Justice. Again: my client must be charged only on the merits of these charges as they relate to a specific passage of federal Law.

In conclusion: the alleged brief existence of a pardon issued by the Governor of Lincoln does not prove my client committed any crime, and certainly does not prove he committed Treason. I ask that the quoted paragraph be struck from the record on the grounds that it does not seek to prove my client committed the specific criminal offense with which he has been charged, but rather attempts to raise concerns about "criminality" in general which encourage the jury to reach a decision based on their feelings about the propriety of my client's actions, and not whether my client committed the specific offense with which he has been charged.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »

Your Honor, I further object:

This passage is indicative of an improper strategy, visible throughout the whole of the prosecution's argument, to prejudice the Jury against my client by assigning to him negative personal characterizations that do not relate to the specific charges brought by the Department of Justice. The subjective characterization of my client's comments to various persons as "sneering" constitutes an unnecessary personal attack irrelevant to the matter at hand. Whether or not my client was rude to the president or any other person is beside the point; "rudeness" is not evidence of Treason, and suggesting as much is highly improper.

I humbly ask the Court confine this argument to the charges brought by the Department of Justice, and order the Jury to disregard any insinuations against the personal character of my client not strictly related to the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies