2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:10:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 76
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2  (Read 172871 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »

They had it fine at Lean D
District101
Rookie
United States

« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »

He also moved NC-09 to Toss Up. So it all evens out.

Just came here to post something like this. Manchin doesn't get his toxic dream opponent, but as a consolation prize, Democrats get a Republican-held open seat race in North Carolina, in a district that was probably only truly winnable as an open seat.
Morrisey isn’t that good of a candidate himself, he was regarded as the weaker of him and Jenkins. He just isn’t Blankenship-level bad.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2018, 12:19:20 AM »

So - Democrats must win all 7 tossup races for a majority? Not an easy task...
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »

They should try again 2020. It ain't happening.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2018, 02:34:38 AM »

They should try again 2020. It ain't happening.
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/itw2010052701/
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2018, 03:19:50 AM »

How are NV, AZ and ND Toss-ups? Democrats are clearly favored in all three states, and it’s not particularly close either.

Even if that's true - Democrats must hold ALL of MT, WV, IN and MO. Slightly easier task, but - only slightly..
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #331 on: May 10, 2018, 06:26:49 AM »

This is a funny quote:

"Republicans would have every reason to boast about a 32-seat gain. But it may appear diminished if GOP leaders continue to project that the party will pick up 60, 70, even 100 seats or more, as some Republicans have done in the past couple of months. Barring a massive GOP wave, these predictions appear to be unrealistic daydreams."
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #332 on: May 10, 2018, 06:33:33 AM »

How are NV, AZ and ND Toss-ups? Democrats are clearly favored in all three states, and it’s not particularly close either.

They don't like pushing incumbents out the window before the primary. I suspect Arizona will be lean dem post-primary, considering how we suspect the vote will be split.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »

Big boost for Republicans -->

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »

30 million dollars is not that much in the context of an entire midterms worth of elections.

Republicans spent over a third of that in the PA-18 special election alone, and still lost.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »

R's finally got someone to run against Paul Davis as Former state House Speaker Doug Mays is entering the race
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »

Lol the Republicans spent half of that amount on PA18 and AZ08
BundouYMB

« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

LOL! What are they going to do? Hire more consultants?

The Republican establishment spent $150 million on Please Clap so he could finish 7th in Iowa or whatever. I'm quaking in my boots.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »

The Republican establishment spent $150 million on Please Clap so he could finish 7th in Iowa or whatever. I'm quaking in my boots.
The democrats spent about a billion trying to elect a washed up, out of touch, career politician. Instead, they lost to a gaffe machine billionaire who never held elected office.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

The democrats spent about a billion trying to elect a washed up, out of touch, career politician. Instead, they lost to a gaffe machine billionaire who never held elected office.

That only supports their point: money isn't everything in politics.
UncleSam

« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »

It may not be everything, but it sure helps
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »

Money doesn't matter as much as people think in winning elections. Money can't buy charisma or authenticity
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #342 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »

Money doesn't matter as much as people think in winning elections. Money can't buy charisma or authenticity

To be fair, it does allow a candidate to get their message across. But there is huge diminishing returns after a certain point.

Jeb's $150 million loan from pa-pa didn't do much for him.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »

To be fair, it does allow a candidate to get their message across. But there is huge diminishing returns after a certain point.

Honestly, I think most candidates with gobs of money who win their elections would of won anyway. Timing and national environment almost entirely decides election outcomes. The Democratic Party was routinely outspent in the New Deal days and up until the 80s

My problem with money in politics is that it buys special favors (in other words bribery)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »

Honestly, I think most candidates with gobs of money who win their elections would of won anyway. Timing and national environment almost entirely decides election outcomes. The Democratic Party was routinely outspent in the New Deal days and up until the 80s

My problem with money in politics is that it buys special favors (in other words bribery)

Well yeah, but I think you should probably have at least $1 million if you want to run a congressional campaign just to get your message across. More or less money depending on how expensive the media market is.

But after you spend that much, an extra $5 million or so barely gets you anything.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #345 on: May 11, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »

That proves their point, you know.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 11, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »

Their point was the GOP is bad at picking candidates, but it isn’t like Democrats are better.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »

Their point was the GOP is bad at picking candidates, but it isn’t like Democrats are better.

Amazing reading comprehension skills there...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »

Trying to cover your ass after you've been brutally owned.
BundouYMB

« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »

No, the others are correct. My point was that $30 million Adelson gave is useless because the Republican establishment has proven time and again they don't spend money effectively.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies