Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:48:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 74914 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »

NY State of Politics:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Nixon loses the primary, withdraws by running for an Assembly seat with the intention of losing on purpose, and then the Working Families Party try to nominate Cuomo for governor after everything that has occurred, the WFP are spineless spineless cowards. You can't even use the "not split the vote" excuse, no one thinks Molinaro can win.

Social media is not a good indicator of support and there was very little polling in both those congressional districts. And by remaining on the ballot it risks allowing the republican to win so no it’s not spineless. It’s doing the right thing. A polling miss of 41 points would be polling screwup the likes of which has never happened in history 
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »

If the Working Families Party try to nominate Cuomo for governor after everything that has been said and done, I don't want to hear or read sh**t from that segment of the New York political spectrum again, because that is politically bankrupt. That's as bad as Republican Never Trumpers that suddenly became his biggest supporters in public.
Babeuf

« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »

Voted for the left slate. Not optimistic about their chances, but it felt good to vote against Cuomo and his crew.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2018, 08:34:53 AM by Zaybay »

Social media is not a good indicator of support and there was very little polling in both those congressional districts. And by remaining on the ballot it risks allowing the republican to win so no it’s not spineless. It’s doing the right thing. A polling miss of 41 points would be polling screwup the likes of which has never happened in history 
Untrue, in primaries, there have been bigger misses. But overall, polling for primaries have been off by about 15 points, so take that as you will.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:12 AM »

If the Working Families Party try to nominate Cuomo for governor after everything that has been said and done, I don't want to hear or read sh**t from that segment of the New York political spectrum again, because that is politically bankrupt. That's as bad as Republican Never Trumpers that suddenly became his biggest supporters in public.

What sense would it make to remain on the ticket? If Nixon loses, she should withdraw. Same for Cuomo if he loses (small chance).
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #705 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2018, 08:56:20 AM by StateBoiler »

What sense would it make to remain on the ticket? If Nixon loses, she should withdraw. Same for Cuomo if he loses (small chance).

The Working Families Party in order to have ballot access in New York are required to have their candidate for governor get 50,000 votes. So the WFP will have a candidate on the ballot or they don't have ballot access for the next 4 years.

The only reason Nixon got the WFP line is they were livid at Cuomo and hate him. If they crawl back with their tail between their legs and beg for forgiveness of Cuomo and choose to nominate him, everything WFP members said, everything a lot of people on this thread the past few months have said, they are admitting it was all complete bullsh**t if they put Cuomo on the WFP line and vote for Cuomo in November.

I do actually like the concept of fusion and wish it was in more states, but if the only purpose of the WFP general election ballot access is to influence the Democratic primary election, why do they have general election ballot access? That is the single biggest argument the New York Green Party makes against the WFP and why progressive votes for the WFP does not aid progressive causes, and this situation exemplifies it.

And this is all assuming Cuomo will even accept the WFP line. It's not like he needs it to win. He in fact could kill the group as happened to the Liberals by Nixon withdrawing, Cuomo refusing the invitation, and the WFP are forced to run a nobody.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #706 on: September 13, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »

I voted just now. Turnout in my Brooklyn precinct/polling place was very high, much higher than I expected. Had to wait in line briefly to cast my ballot, which has never happened before (and this was at around 9:30, so a bit after the morning rush would ordinarily be over). I imagine my precinct will be a hotbed of Nixon support. Anecdata mean very little, of course, but perhaps the race will be closer than I expect.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #707 on: September 13, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »

I voted just now. Turnout in my Brooklyn precinct/polling place was very high, much higher than I expected. Had to wait in line briefly to cast my ballot, which has never happened before (and this was at around 9:30, so a bit after the morning rush would ordinarily be over). I imagine my precinct will be a hotbed of Nixon support. Anecdata mean very little, of course, but perhaps the race will be closer than I expect.
I mean, yeah, thats what I am expecting too. NY is the only state where the Progressives have basically taken over in the primaries, so I expect progressives to do better than people realize. Thats just me though.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #708 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »

Voted for Nixon in my small rural Long Island town where I was the tenth person. It was 8:30 AM though and there are only 121 registered Democrats in my ED. I have a poll watcher certificate so maybe I’ll check out how things are going after work.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #709 on: September 13, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »

Cynthia Nixon wins Tompkins and some conservative upstate counties where there are few registered Democrats.  And mayyybe Manhattan. 

Overall Cuomo wins 62-38.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #710 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

Question:  I know they're a higher percentage of the GOP electorate, but how much does the Italian American vote matter in Democratic primaries in NYS?  Is there one really?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #711 on: September 13, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »

Question:  I know they're a higher percentage of the GOP electorate, but how much does the Italian American vote matter in Democratic primaries in NYS?  Is there one really?

I don't think it's especially distinct as a vote in Democratic primaries except in certain limited areas (Staten Island, parts of Brooklyn). Certainly not large enough or, more importantly, cohesive enough to make a big difference.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #712 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

According to comments on Nixon's social media, people are being told there is no such primary for Governor, so we're off to a great start.                                         

And what is this about she shouldn't run on the WFP ticket? Molinaro stands no chance, and the message it would send establishment Dems. would be huge.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #713 on: September 13, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »

If the WFP wants to keep their ballot line and Nixon wants off, maybe they should look at other candidates to replace her. I suspect that Julia Salazar will be free after tonight.

Ineligible, NY Governor has a minimum age of 30.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »

If the WFP wants to keep their ballot line and Nixon wants off, maybe they should look at other candidates to replace her. I suspect that Julia Salazar will be free after tonight.

Hell, he's 42, I say give it to Jumaane Williams (if he wants it) if/when Nixon drops off the ticket, esp. if/when he loses the Dem LG primary too.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #715 on: September 13, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

NY State of Politics:

If Nixon loses the primary, withdraws by running for an Assembly seat with the intention of losing on purpose, and then the Working Families Party try to nominate Cuomo for governor after everything that has occurred, the WFP are spineless spineless cowards. You can't even use the "not split the vote" excuse, no one thinks Molinaro can win.

don't make me put michigan polls in here again
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

NY State of Politics:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/hawaii/election_2010_hawaii_senate
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #717 on: September 13, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »

That's Rasmussen polling Hawaii, one of the most notoriously tricky states to poll. In addition to being a robopoll in English only, they probably forgot that time zones exist (if Trump can do it, they can too) and polled during the middle of the night.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #718 on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »

Independent Democratic Caucus - a group of breakaway reactionary dem legislators (widely rumored to have been encouraged to do so by Cuomo) who started caucusing with the Republicans from 2014-earlier this year, handing them control of the chamber.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:38 PM »

Hell, he's 42, I say give it to Jumaane Williams (if he wants it) if/when Nixon drops off the ticket, esp. if/when he loses the Dem LG primary too.

Tbh I think Williams has a very good chance of winning the LG primary.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #720 on: September 13, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »

Down with the IDC, down with Cuomo.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #721 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #722 on: September 13, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2018, 03:22:21 PM by NYC Millennial Minority »

On my way to get food today, I passed by my local state assemblywoman, my local city councilman, and one of the candidates for state senate.

https://twitter.com/nily

https://twitter.com/BarryGrodenchik

https://twitter.com/LiuNewYork

I asked one of them (not gonna name specifically who) who they voted for in the gubernatorial primary. They said (quietly, so others wouldn't hear), and I paraphrase "Cuomo. I don't like him personally. He's on my sh**tlist and I'm on his sh**tlist...but I don't know who this Cynthia Nixon is. The Governorship is not an entry level job."

We also chatted about the midterms. Joked about how Marc Molinaro and Chele Farley have basically no chance of winning (but they said "you never know...sometimes flukes happen:). Joked about how I was too young to remember Pataki being elected.

The guy who is running for state senate - John Liu, told me that his main message is replacing Tony Avella (a member of the IDC) to ensure total Democratic domination of New York State. Wants to legalize marijuana ("but I also am gonna tax it! hehehe"). Said "imagine if the Democrats take Texas this year...it'll be over for the Republicans! hehehe." Also mentioned plans for women's rights and more spending for education...
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #723 on: September 13, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »

Cynthia Nixon should do well with Jacobin readers and limousine liberals.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #724 on: September 13, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »

It's happening again.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies