Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:10:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 77342 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 04, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

How much does the endorsement by the New York Times help Cuomo? I would imagine a lot as even though its not the strongest endorsement it does point out how flawed a candidate Nixon is.

It's an incredibly tepid endorsement, but the details don't really matter. Voters will see the headline and that's that.
I hope it helps as I shared it online and had several friends trash it and say they are voting for Nixon. I hope she doesn't win.  I'm going to have heart palpitations working the primary September 13th and until there are results
I mean, I would rather have someone who can fix the state than someone who has had 8 years to do so. I get the criticism that Nixon doesnt have experience or isnt fit for the job, but putting in the same corrupt jerk who has never fixed anything in the state is even worse, IMO. I would rather take the chance and possibly get a Phil Murphy, than stay with what I know will be a crappy governor.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #526 on: September 04, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

"Experience" is one of my most hated politician talking points. So you're basically saying you've been there for years and shit hasn't gotten better or has gotten worse?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #527 on: September 04, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »

Got a poll, but.....its only for Queens.

Cuomo leads 60%-15% in Queens in gubernatorial race, in Attorney General's race Letitia James leads with 25 percent, Sean Patrick Maloney in second place with 13 percent, Zephyr Teachout with 11 percent, and Leecia Eve with 5%. (Poll of Queens only, not statewide)

https://mailchi.mp/43c4fbf25281/the-queens-tribune-dont-cry-for-the-daily-news-our-review-of-preparation-for-the-next-life-by-atticus-lish-meet-the-next-cuny-chancellor-560367?e=%5BUNIQID
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #528 on: September 06, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »

You're like four days late.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #529 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »

The NY State Democratic party is sending mailers out that basically say that Nixon is an anti-semite. Disgusting.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #530 on: September 08, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »

The NY State Democratic party is sending mailers out that basically say that Nixon is an anti-semite. Disgusting.

LOL. Alt-centrists really do use the same tactics on both sides of the ocean.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #531 on: September 08, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »

Cuomo leads 60%-15% in Queens in gubernatorial race, in Attorney General's race Letitia James leads with 25 percent, Sean Patrick Maloney in second place with 13 percent, Zephyr Teachout with 11 percent, and Leecia Eve with 5%. (Poll of Queens only, not statewide)

Wait ... Zephyr's still in the political business? She still thinks the people want her? What an obstinate case! 😒
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #532 on: September 08, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »

Wait ... Zephyr's still in the political business? She still thinks the people want her? What an obstinate case! 😒
I hate to break it to you, but she has a large chance to become NY's next AG.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #533 on: September 08, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »

According to the polls on Wikipedia: no. Letitia James is going to win the nomination and thus the general election.

Zephyr ran for the seat of the 19th congressional district in 2016. That's the district where she scored the best results against Cuomo by far. Still she lost the House race by quite a large margin:

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #534 on: September 08, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »

According to the polls on Wikipedia: no. Letitia James is going to win the nomination and thus the general election.

Zephyr ran for the seat of the 19th congressional district in 2016. That's the district where she scored the best results against Cuomo by far. Still she lost the House race by quite a large margin:

You do realize those polls were taken in July, right? Anyway, the new developments, such as Teachout winning the NYT and basically every other newspaper's endorsement, and the fading of Maloony into obscurity in this race points to a Teachout vs James race, and we have no information on which will pull out the victory.

And I dont see how her running for a congressional seat, which required her to win the D primary in the area, if I may add, is any sort of indicator of her performance. The Republicans who came out against her in the district are barred from the D primary, and we do have results that point to Teachout having her base in the Upstate, and parts of NYC. Anyway, its a tossup.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #535 on: September 08, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »

I have a bad feeling the left is gonna be very upset if Nixon loses on Thursday.
Duke of York

« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2018, 12:15:30 AM »

I have a bad feeling the left is gonna be very upset if Nixon loses on Thursday.
I can’t shake a bad feeling she’s going to win and risk blowing a safe election
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #537 on: September 09, 2018, 12:19:41 AM »

LMAO chill out. It's New York.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #538 on: September 09, 2018, 12:32:44 AM »

LOL, no Republican will be winning New York in 2018. It would be hard enough even during a Republican wave.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2018, 01:15:35 AM »

She's got a better chance than Nixon.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2018, 03:13:10 AM »

As much as I like Nixon (and find Cuomo hilariously villianish) I won’t be too upset if Nixon loses- she’s pushed Cuomo to the left on a range of issues, and has made him actually campaign.

Nixon’s campaign has essentially just been about using her high name ID to go straight to bashing Cuomo whilst pushing progressive politics. She hasn’t had to waste 5 months doing stupid bio ads, or visits to transit centres.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »

Another reason why I don't want Cynthia Nixon to win is because her campaign has primarily focused on NYC. Does she know that she's running to be Governor of the entire state not just NYC?

NYC already has a "governor" and that's the mayor. Why didn't she run for mayor last year, if she wanted to help NYC? I think that being Mayor first would have been beneficial for her to get some governmental experience before she jumps up to being governor. She could also run for mayor in 2021.

Anyways, I feel like if Nixon wins the primary then that will turn off many Upstate Democrats because her campaign has been NYC-centric. Many of those Upstate Dems could decide to stay home or vote for Molinaro in protest because of Cynthia
That could cause Molinaro is sneak by and win which would be disastrous.

We have to remember that the rest of New York State is not like NYC. The rest of NYS (except the urban areas) is much more moderate and conservative than NYC and they will especially not react that kindly to a NYC-centric "radical liberal/leftist".

That's just my two cents. I'm not a huge fan of Cuomo but I'll have to reluctantly vote for him. I'm not voting for Tish James though (Go Zephyr!). The most important thing to do is to make sure that the State Senate flips to blue.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2018, 10:35:38 AM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

Literally every Democrat north of the Bronx could stay home and the Democratic gubernatorial nominee would still have a 50/50 chance of winning. Put another way, the nominee could lose the same area by 45 points (Clinton won with a plurality) thanks to D-to-R defections and still pull right at 50% of the vote.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »

I haven't looked at the polling, but I assumed that Nixon would match Teachout's margins in upstate New York? Likewise weren't Cuomo's strongest margins in NYC among minority voters?

I still think that Nixon should have ran for Congress; either by launching a primary against one of the awful NYC House incumbents, or by running somewhere else.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »

Literally every Democrat north of the Bronx could stay home and the Democratic gubernatorial nominee would still have a 50/50 chance of winning. Put another way, the nominee could lose the same area by 45 points (Clinton won with a plurality) thanks to D-to-R defections and still pull right at 50% of the vote.

That may be true but Cynthia Nixon is farther to the left of Hillary.

We'll see though, we will see.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »

Another reason why I don't want Cynthia Nixon to win is because her campaign has primarily focused on NYC. Does she know that she's running to be Governor of the entire state not just NYC?

NYC already has a "governor" and that's the mayor. Why didn't she run for mayor last year, if she wanted to help NYC? I think that being Mayor first would have been beneficial for her to get some governmental experience before she jumps up to being governor. She could also run for mayor in 2021.

Anyways, I feel like if Nixon wins the primary then that will turn off many Upstate Democrats because her campaign has been NYC-centric. Many of those Upstate Dems could decide to stay home or vote for Molinaro in protest because of Cynthia
That could cause Molinaro is sneak by and win which would be disastrous.

We have to remember that the rest of New York State is not like NYC. The rest of NYS (except the urban areas) is much more moderate and conservative than NYC and they will especially not react that kindly to a NYC-centric "radical liberal/leftist".

That's just my two cents. I'm not a huge fan of Cuomo but I'll have to reluctantly vote for him. I'm not voting for Tish James though (Go Zephyr!). The most important thing to do is to make sure that the State Senate flips to blue.
Theres a strategic reason for this, actually. Nixon's base happens to be upstate NY, with the city being Cuomo's base. The reason for her pushing heavy on NYC is to break Cuomo's grip, and give her a chance of winning. While I dont like it either, I can see the strategic significance.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »

.........I really hope you guys are joking about Nixon somehow losing the general, because that is some garbage level analysis, especially considering her base is in the Upstate portion of NY, not the city.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »

.........I really hope you guys are joking about Nixon somehow losing the general, because that is some garbage level analysis, especially considering her base is in the Upstate portion of NY, not the city.
Nixon's base is Upstate?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

Nixon's base is Upstate?

yes, it is. You have seen a map of Teachout's election, and the polls of the race, right? Where do you think her base is?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: September 09, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »

Nixon's base is Upstate?

yes, it is. You have seen a map of Teachout's election, and the polls of the race, right? Where do you think her base is?
Just LOL.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies