SB 2018-172: Party Organisation Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:56:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-172: Party Organisation Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2018-172: Party Organisation Act (Passed)  (Read 1058 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:24:22 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2018, 01:43:17 PM by Vice President PiT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian House Assembled,

[/quote]

Sponsor: Not_Madigan

I hereby open the floor for debate.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »

I will vote for this bill, however, I have a suggestion for an amendment.

I'd ask that if a Party below 3 members, but if they were to hold Elected office in any Regional or Federal Legislature, that they be labeled a Recognized party. 

It's my belief that if a Party is able to win an election, it should be Recognized as a legitimate Major Party.  (A good example would've been TSA's LibDems)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »

I'd ask that if a Party below 3 members, but if they were to hold Elected office in any Regional or Federal Legislature, that they be labeled a Recognized party.  

It's my belief that if a Party is able to win an election, it should be Recognized as a legitimate Major Party.  (A good example would've been TSA's LibDems)
That defeats the purpose of having "recognized parties" in the first place, though, which is to distinguish between large parties with organized leadership structures and one-man outfits like the Lib Dems. This distinction matters because constitutionally, recognized parties are responsible for filling vacancies in the House created by the resignation/expulsion of one of their members, while seats vacated by the member of a minor party go to a special election. If a party has only one or two members, it's reasonable to assume that it does not have a large base of support and may not even have a clear leadership structure, for which the appointment system would be ill-fitted.

The purpose of this legislation is not to make tiny parties feel bad; it is to clearly distinguish large parties from small parties for the sake of administrative clarity.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »

It's my belief that if a Party is able to win an election, it should be Recognized as a legitimate Major Party.  (A good example would've been TSA's LibDems)
That defeats the purpose of having "recognized parties" in the first place, though, which is to distinguish between large parties with organized leadership structures and one-man outfits like the Lib Dems. This distinction matters because constitutionally, recognized parties are responsible for filling vacancies in the House created by the resignation/expulsion of one of their members, while seats vacated by the member of a minor party go to a special election. If a party has only one or two members, it's reasonable to assume that it does not have a large base of support and may not even have a clear leadership structure, for which the appointment system would be ill-fitted.

The purpose of this legislation is not to make tiny parties feel bad; it is to clearly distinguish large parties from small parties for the sake of administrative clarity.

Well, in that case I withdraw my suggestion and will just vote Aye on this bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:40:29 AM »

Well, in that case I withdraw my suggestion and will just vote Aye on this bill.

Will you assume sponsorship of this bill?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »

Will you assume sponsorship of this bill?

Yes I will.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced on the threshold for a major party. 30 members seems awfully high, as on the current landscape only the Federalist Party would qualify and it would be odd to argue many of the other large parties (Alliance, PUP, Pax and even zombie Labor) get stuck as minor parties despite having a reasonably large membership and several elected representatives.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:25:23 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Senator Not_Madigan assuming sponsorship.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 11:19:44 PM »

We could do something like make “major party” 20. It’s just an idea
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced on the threshold for a major party. 30 members seems awfully high, as on the current landscape only the Federalist Party would qualify and it would be odd to argue many of the other large parties (Alliance, PUP, Pax and even zombie Labor) get stuck as minor parties despite having a reasonably large membership and several elected representatives.
If I remember correctly, TPP would not have qualified as a major party under this bill even during the period when it held a majority in the unicameral Senate. It's not entirely clear to me what the benefits of major party status are, but this does seem a very high standard.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:05 PM »

15 members to me seems like a good enough threshold for a major Party, and I'd support an amendment making that the Threshold.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »

Right, I offer an amendment:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »

With no objections, Senator Not_Madigan is the sponsor. With that out of the way,

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor feedback: Pending
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »

I very much approve of this amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »

The amendment is friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »

With no objections, Amendment S11:09 is adopted.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »

I think that was the outstanding issue, so I motion for a final vote.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »

I think that was the outstanding issue, so I motion for a final vote.
I second the motion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:08 AM »

A final vote is now open on this bill. Senators have 72 hours to vote aye, nay, or abstain.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 03:21:04 AM »

Aye!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 03:32:04 AM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »

Aye.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »

Aye!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies