National Endowments for the Arts and the Humanities Elimination Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:03:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  National Endowments for the Arts and the Humanities Elimination Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: National Endowments for the Arts and the Humanities Elimination Bill  (Read 9573 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2005, 10:32:50 AM »

Well, so much for me saying "Mr. President, I urge a veto."

Sigh, looks like the only alternative to watching NASCAR every Saturady will be just not waking up.
And yet another good program killed so we can afford a space elevator or some other worthless crap.

Frankly, I'd rather have a space elevator. Tongue

Me, too.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2005, 11:35:37 AM »

I’d like to congratulate the Senate, Senator Ebowed and Governor Bono on a job well done.

And to everyone who opposes this bill, why can’t local governments or independent organizations fund art?  Why does it have to be the Federal Government?

So, let's thrust more on local governments so that they can raise taxes?  Not likely that they will take the mantle here.

And, there are organization, called "endowments" which do this kind of thing, but, like I said, they have strained resources as is.

The only reason that we have much of the art we have now, the works of da Vinci, Shakespear, Greek dramas, Michelangelo, Rapheal and others is because governments funded thier work.  Otherwise, we would not even have art to begin with.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:21 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2005, 11:44:32 AM by Supersoulty »

Not to mention that much of this money goes to the shows that air on PBS.  So you guys basically just killed Public Broadcasting.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »

I’m sorry, I really don’t understand to much about art and stuff, but how hard can it be to draw this?

I understand that most artwork, and most probably the artwork Sec. Soulty was referring to, isn’t like that.  But I still don’t really understand how expensive it can be, I do lots of drawings on paper everyday, why does the Government need to devote resources to this when we have a catastrophe in New Orleans, a deficit and a war?

Not to mention that much of this money goes to PBS.  So you guys basically just killed Public Broadcasting.

*shrug* Do thy ever really have anything good on? Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2005, 11:46:31 AM »

I’m sorry, I really don’t understand to much about art and stuff, but how hard can it be to draw this?

I understand that most artwork, and most probably the artwork Sec. Soulty was referring to, isn’t like that.  But I still don’t really understand how expensive it can be, I do lots of drawings on paper everyday, why does the Government need to devote resources to this when we have a catastrophe in New Orleans, a deficit and a war?

Not to mention that much of this money goes to PBS.  So you guys basically just killed Public Broadcasting.

*shrug* Do thy ever really have anything good on? Tongue

I guess you never watched Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Wishbone or Bill Nye the Science Guy?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2005, 11:55:01 AM »

Not to mention that much of this money goes to the shows that air on PBS.  So you guys basically just killed Public Broadcasting.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (which deals with PBS mostly) is not included in this legislation; it is a different admistrative branch.

However it was cut from the budget in July, and all cuts from then will become final in October.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2005, 12:11:12 PM »

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (which deals with PBS mostly) is not included in this legislation; it is a different admistrative branch.

However it was cut from the budget in July, and all cuts from then will become final in October.

The actual broadcasting of PBS is done seperatly, however, the money that goes into the acctual creation of the shows comes from grants from the AEA/AEH.  It says so at the end of almost every show.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2005, 12:59:55 PM »

Does anyone else now think that on reflection making the Senate work out a budget was a bad idea?
It's not exactly made this thing anymore enjoyable and it certainly hasn't made it anymore realistic (quite the reverse actually...)

And yes, this is a u-turn...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »

Does anyone else now think that on reflection making the Senate work out a budget was a bad idea?
It's not exactly made this thing anymore enjoyable and it certainly hasn't made it anymore realistic (quite the reverse actually...)

I agree with keeping the budget, but it certainly seems to have given the libertarians a platform to power.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

The mistake was electing people to public office who would cancel Sesame Street.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »

The mistake was electing people to public office who would cancel Sesame Street.

Not sure if that is a joke, a show of support for us, or a sacrcastic remark.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:06 PM »

Well, Al said the mistake was creating a budget, and my basic answer is that the mistake was not having a budget, but what voters have been willing to tolerate in terms of what public officials do to that budget.

Oh, and to Senator Proce, you can't say Supersoulty doesn't belong in this debate because its not over an economic bill, he is the Treasury Secretary, so ALL spending is in some way under his purview.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2005, 04:06:48 PM »

Well, Al said the mistake was creating a budget, and my basic answer is that the mistake was not having a budget, but what voters have been willing to tolerate in terms of what public officials do to that budget.

Oh, and to Senator Proce, you can't say Supersoulty doesn't belong in this debate because its not over an economic bill, he is the Treasury Secretary, so ALL spending is in some way under his purview.

Understood.

As for the second, I was unaware that he challenged my ability to participate.  Well, as John said, I am the Treasury Secretary and a concerned citizen.  Not only that, but I have withheld most of my remarks until after the final passage of the bill, so I am not interupting debate.  Why are you so offended that I speak out?  Why are you trying to invoke some non-existant rule, based on a false premise, to force me out.  I'm just speaking my mind here.  Well, think of me as the populace responding to the Senate's actions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »

With all due respect Governor, I stated that Secretary Supersoulty is "more than welcome" to state his objections to this bill.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

With all due respect Governor, I stated that Secretary Supersoulty is "more than welcome" to state his objections to this bill.

In that case, I appologize for my remarks.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2005, 04:49:33 PM »

After reading over all the responses since my last post I have yet to see any convincing argument against this bill other than "you canceled Sesame Street."  But hey, they're overusing Elmo these days, not like that show is any good now.  Other than that, I don't see anything that hasn't really been addressed already, so I'm not sure why True Democrat just introduced a bill on the grounds of "convincing arguments" that would repeal this bill... especially since the NEA and NEH will just get abolished again in October.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2005, 05:37:33 PM »

I misread a postand thought you'd said that non-Senators should not enter the debate.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2005, 06:59:33 PM »

Gotta agree with you Al.  I'd be willing to cosponsor an amendment to the constitution should you wish to craft one up.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2005, 07:00:19 PM »

I'd be willing to cosponsor an amendment to the constitution should you wish to craft one up.
I would be completely opposed to such an amendment. I see no reason for which the Senate should not consider taxation and spending.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2005, 07:02:39 PM »

Are you guys serious?  The Senate is no longer able to consider many social issues because they're now up to the regions.  Taking away our power to consider important economic issues would be a severe watering down of what the Senate can and cannot do.
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2005, 07:06:16 PM »

I'd be willing to cosponsor an amendment to the constitution should you wish to craft one up.
I would be completely opposed to such an amendment. I see no reason for which the Senate should not consider taxation and spending.
Emsworth, do you honestly take pleasure in putting together the budgets?  While we strive for a realistic simulation, the addition of a budget has resulted in a massive obstacle in the senate agenda that sucks the fun out of Atlasian politics.  I'm all for realism, but not at the cost of fun.  This is, theoretically at least, a game Smiley

And Senator Ebowed, we would not be taking financial powers away from the senate, we'd simply remove the neccessity of putting together a budget.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »

But we need to have a budget.  Who would put together the budget if not the Senate?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2005, 07:09:19 PM »

I disagree that there is a great obstacle. During previous Senates, the Budget has turned into a mere number game, with people just cutting programs left and right (I will admit that I am equally guilty here). However, I think that a coherent Budget, which includes tax policy and spending changes, is a very good idea.
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2005, 07:14:43 PM »

I disagree that there is a great obstacle. During previous Senates, the Budget has turned into a mere number game, with people just cutting programs left and right (I will admit that I am equally guilty here). However, I think that a coherent Budget, which includes tax policy and spending changes, is a very good idea.
Were this a more in depth simulation, I would absolutely agree with you.  But the fact remains, Atlasian politics is much more focused on simply winning elections that actual governing.  A numbers game which is entirely run by yourself and several senators and that has no effect on anything except for the senate itself does not serve Atlasia. 

In an Atlasia in which votes were decided by GM decisions, I would absolutely agree a budget would be neccessary, as it would greatly affect election results.  However, in an Atlasia where the only people who care about the budget are those who put it together, I must question the neccessity for such a time consuming requirement.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »

Were this a more in depth simulation, I would absolutely agree with you.  But the fact remains, Atlasian politics is much more focused on simply winning elections that actual governing.
That is not necessarily the case. Senators do put a lot of work into getting legislation passed, or stopping legislation, as do many private citizens. Take this bill, for example: look at all the private opposition that it has stirred up. If the Budget eliminated the NEA, the same interest would exist as well. I would dispute that nobody is interested in the Budget.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies