Will the 2nd Amendment exist in it's current form in the next 30-40 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the 2nd Amendment exist in it's current form in the next 30-40 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the 2nd Amendment exist in it's current form in the next 30-40 years?  (Read 972 times)
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »

With Millenials and Gen Z beginning to take control of the electorate, will the 2nd Amendment even exists in it's current form in the next few decades?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »

Yeah, of course. Getting rid of it would still need 38/50 states, and I have a really damn hard time believing that enough Millennials/Gen Z-ers oppose the 2nd to get a majority in both congress and both houses of the legislatures of 38 states.

Interpretation may change, but the amendment, word-for-word, will still exist in 2050 – unless we fall into dictatorship.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2018, 11:11:34 PM by WritOfCertiorari »

Yes. One thing I’ve never understood is why people believe that a Constitutional amendment would be needed to substantially change the Constitution. This is a country based on judicial precedent and review. Likely there will first be a significant bill passed that will ban the production of certain arms, and the Courts will decide whether to back it up. This would likely take decades since the Court is rather conservative at this point. Unlike then we’ll have half measures like an Assault Weapons Ban.

A Constitutional Amendment is completely impossible as at least 20 states would block it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:09:54 PM »

Of course. Disarming people would make us sitting ducks to an enemy, foreign or domestic.

Trying to repeal the 2nd amendment would result in another Civil War, and the side with most of the weapons would win, thus defeating those wishing to make the changes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:10 PM »

yes
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:49 PM »

What do you mean, in its current form?

The words will still be there, really bizarre grammar and all. I don't think the interpretation will stay the same, though. What does a well-regulated militia mean? What impact does that have on personal gun ownership?

I think that laws surrounding guns will change, but the second amendment will stand. It is part of the Bill of Rights, for heaven's sake.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:07 PM »

In the sense it is an individual right, and not just one that applies to organized militias?

I would hope so -the gun control measures being proposed would do nothing to change that.  Nor should they. 
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »

The words will, but hopefully democrats can appoint judges who will gut its meaning, as has happened to the 4th amendment
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »

Really difficult to predict that far into the future, but there is no reason to believe America would shift it's position on guns enough to amend the constitution.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 02:42:48 AM »

In all likelihood it will be even more insufferable. Seriously, the left needs to drop this one.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:18:39 AM »

Gun control is coming whether you all like it or not.

(That doesn’t mean disarming people.)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 05:41:42 AM »

Of course. Disarming people would make us sitting ducks to an enemy, foreign or domestic.
You do realize that Red Dawn was fiction, not a documentary don't you?

Hell son, we got our butts freaking kicked by Canada back in the War of 1812 when our militia-based army went up against them.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »

What do you mean, in its current form?

The words will still be there, really bizarre grammar and all. I don't think the interpretation will stay the same, though. What does a well-regulated militia mean? What impact does that have on personal gun ownership?

I think that laws surrounding guns will change, but the second amendment will stand. It is part of the Bill of Rights, for heaven's sake.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »

Yes, but there is nothing to prevent passing laws requiring licensure of guns, limiting possession to those that pass background and proficiency tests, and banning the use of assault weapons that are reasonable. I don't think there is much agitation for anything more.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »

Yes, but there is nothing to prevent passing laws requiring licensure of guns, limiting possession to those that pass background and proficiency tests, and banning the use of assault weapons that are reasonable. I don't think there is much agitation for anything more.

I should add that just because an Amendment is there doesn’t mean social mores don’t change. Gun ownership as a % of population has been declining steadily over decades, and I see no reason why that won’t accelerate as two generations much more skeptical of firearms come of age.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »

Hopefully not.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

The words will, but hopefully democrats can appoint judges who will gut its meaning, as has happened to the 4th amendment

But I thought its meaning was some bullschit about States having the right to have militias and nothing more.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »

It probably still will. Perhaps if it does change it will be due to a future Supreme Court case redefining what it's saying (which has happened before, remember that whole "militia part?") but I really don't see it being altered through a further amendment.

The culture will definitely shift dramatically at some point in the future. After all, it's the culture we currently have based around guns that is the biggest problem regarding the issue as a whole, as I see it.

It's not unreasonable for a populace to re-contextualize how they see their relationship to the government and when another generation or two dies off, this may very well be the reality where guns are regulated as rigorously as anything else, even while the Second Amendment persists.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »

The day the left disarms America the day America will plunge in civil war

Assault weapons should be banned

Handguns should be kept with strong background checks
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: