The Unlikely Speaker - Parliamentary America in the Age of Rage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Unlikely Speaker - Parliamentary America in the Age of Rage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Unlikely Speaker - Parliamentary America in the Age of Rage  (Read 4026 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:01 PM »

From the Creator of Camelot Anew & In These Times

The Unlikely Speaker
Parliamentary America in the Age of Rage

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:27 PM »

Lafayette

Lafayette Foster awoke with a start, anxious rapping at his door. "Mr. Foster! Open up!" came a shout. The aging Connecticut Senator shambled to the door, rubbing his eyes.

"Mr. Foster. It's the President. He's been shot." A short man with an unkempt beard was standing in Lafayette's doorway. He wore a Union officer's jacket.

"My good sir, do you know what time it is? Now isn't the time for practical jokes--" Lafayette began, before the other man interrupted him.

"The Vice President's been shot, too. Neither will see tomorrow. Mr. Foster, you will be Acting President when both perish. You must come to Washington immediately."

A few hours later, Lafayette Foster was informed of Andrew Johnson's death at the hand of a Lewis Powell. While Abraham Lincoln still fought on, it was abundantly clear that the President, the savior of the union, the Emancipator, would pass from Earth before nightfall.

As the elderly man placed his left hand on the bible held by his crying wife, and raised his right hand to recite the Oath, he couldn't keep himself from thinking how. How did this nation fall into such a state? How did this nation fail to protect its highest officers? How did we allow so many to be held in bondage for so long?

"I, Lafayette Sabine Foster, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Acting President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God."

He knew, right then, that he would have to break the oath.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »

Second Constitution of the United States
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Constitution of the United States, known colloquially as the Second Constitution, is the Governing document of the United States of America. Ratified June 2, 1867, its passage was encouraged by the Radical Republicans and President Lafayette Foster after the Days of Mourning and the Civil War. Believing that the First Constitution did not adequately prevent civil war, protect the rights of minorities, and placed too much power into the states, Radical Republicans and some Democrats advocated a new Constitution to address these shortcomings.[1][2][3]

De-emphasizing federalism, the Second Constitution melted away many powers previously reserved for the States and instead places them into the federal government. It also merged the executive and legislative branches of government, mirroring a Westminster style of government used at the time in the United Kingdom.

The office of President remained, but with severely curtailed powers, with most executive power now resting in the Speaker of the House. Presidents are limited to one eight-year term.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:47 PM »

Melania

"...based on our exit polling, we can now project that Labor will lose 56 seats, with the Center Party and Progressive Republicans both losing dozens of seats...America is heading for a right-wing government, and Donald Trump, with 100 other MCs, is looking to be the kingmaker, if not the King himself. Remember, Paul Ryan publicly disavowed Trump after the Access Hollywood tape leaked, and the two nearly came to blows at the last debate, and Ryan knows that there simply isn't any desire for the first Grand Coalition in history, not with both Labor and the Conservatives hemorrhaging seats...there aren't enough Democrats for them to form a Government...the next Congress has the potential to be among the most unstable in history, and we could be looking at new elections in a year or two if not a month or two..."

Melania Trump clicked off the TV. She couldn't take it any more. Her husband? A kingmaker? Why did he even go on this stupid vanity trip? Why did he declare for the Staten Island by-election two years ago? He hates Staten Island! Why didn't he just listen to her, and just allow both of them a semi-active retirement? Why couldn't she be allowed to raise her son in peace and privilege?

He never wanted this, at least she didn't think so. He just wanted some attention, maybe some money. He probably was planning on resigning the seat a few months into the coming Congress. Now he'd be leading the third largest party.

She knew that Bannon would never let Trump play second fiddle to Paul Ryan, and that the Democrats were still too regionalist to lead a national government.

Melania feared that she'd be residing in the White House in a few months.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »

I see that your legislatures you posted weren't Just a small scenario.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »

I feel as if we wouldn't call them MCs, but great start nonetheless!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:33:52 AM »

YESSS. We've been missing a proper Parliamentary TL after Kamala left.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »

Oh this is gonna be great.  I can't wait to see the map for this world.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »

Hillary

It wasn’t supposed to be this bad Hillary Rodham Clinton thought shortly before taking the stage to deliver her concession speech. Sure, the governing party always loses seats at an election. And it might’ve even been worse than usual with that rat bastard Sanders splitting the vote in marginal constituencies. But Speaker Obama was popular...and Ryan, Trump and Sessions weren’t.

She’d already told President Hatch that she and Labor wouldn’t accept the mandate to govern, and had told Labor Central Office that she was resigning as leader of the party. It was the least she could do. She might even give up her seat in Westchester. She figured it was time for new blood in the Party.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »

I have only one minor quibble: why would the leader of the government be the Speaker of the House? Wouldn't the role of Speaker be preserved to govern and regulate the House and instead have the leader of the government take on the title of "President of the Cabinet" or "First Secretary," titles that would eventually become known colloquially as "Prime Minister?"

Anywho, this is extremely interesting and I'm excited to see where this goes!
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »

I'll say again I'd love to see a map, and I'm willing to help with it if you were willing to make one.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »

I'll say again I'd love to see a map, and I'm willing to help with it if you were willing to make one.
I'd need all the help I could get...
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »

i'd like to help too, if I can... after all, I'm almost done with my 1000 districts maps (only PR and VI combined left) and i'm too damn lazy to actually upload them.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

i'd like to help too, if I can... after all, I'm almost done with my 1000 districts maps (only PR and VI combined left) and i'm too damn lazy to actually upload them.

You could help create those Extra 102 districts we'd need, or we could just make it so there are 102 PR MPs and 436 Constituencies
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 06:40:03 PM »

You could help create those Extra 102 districts we'd need, or we could just make it so there are 102 PR MPs and 436 Constituencies
My plan is based off the current congressional districts, plus DC. But because the state's don't quite function the way they do in real life, we could perhaps "ungerrymander" the seats..?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »

My plan is based off the current congressional districts, plus DC. But because the state's don't quite function the way they do in real life, we could perhaps "ungerrymander" the seats..?
Ok wait, 538 Seats Total Right, or 436?  And you'd mean like they'd all be ungerrymandered and generally even overall? 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »

I'd be down to help fill in some MC's once a map is made. Since the House is (presumably) more powerful, a lot of Senators might stay in the House as opposed to the Senate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »

I'd be down to help fill in some MC's once a map is made. Since the House is (presumably) more powerful, a lot of Senators might stay in the House as opposed to the Senate.
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna need help with that. As mentioned, Susan Collins represents what is basically ME-02, so Bruce Poliquin is out already.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna need help with that. As mentioned, Susan Collins represents what is basically ME-02, so Bruce Poliquin is out already.

Maybe i should go in and name all the districts, UK style, once they're done.

Also question: who represents SF? Feinstein or Pelosi?

Or perhaps even Newsom?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:30 PM »

Maybe i should go in and name all the districts, UK style, once they're done.

Also question: who represents SF? Feinstein or Pelosi?

Or perhaps even Newsom?
Pelosi; Feinstein represents Marin County and Kamala represents Oakland.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:02 PM »

Let me go through with a couple of famous pols:

Chellie Pingree: Casco (ME-01)
Liz Warren: Cambridge
Joe Kennedy: Jamaica Plain
Adam Schiff: Burbank
Russ Feingold: Madison
Tulsi Gabbard: Oahu
Brian Schatz: Honolulu
John McCain: Phoenix South
Barack Obama: Chicago-Hyde Park
Jeff Merkley: Portland North
Joaquin Castro: The Alamo
Joey1996

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »

Don't mean to present a plot hole, but wouldn't dissolving federalism directly after the Civil War immediately spark armed conflict again?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 03:15:05 AM »

Don't mean to present a plot hole, but wouldn't dissolving federalism directly after the Civil War immediately spark armed conflict again?
No.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »

I'm very interested to see what happens with States in this TL.  I want to know what Happened to Rauner mainly Tongue

Also, if I could make a request, could Dan Lipinski's District be named "Tinley Park?"  If you have Dan Lipinski survive 2016 that is Tongue
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »

I have only one minor quibble: why would the leader of the government be the Speaker of the House? Wouldn't the role of Speaker be preserved to govern and regulate the House and instead have the leader of the government take on the title of "President of the Cabinet" or "First Secretary," titles that would eventually become known colloquially as "Prime Minister?"

Anywho, this is extremely interesting and I'm excited to see where this goes!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies