Did 9/11 make people more homophobic for some time afterwards?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:43:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Did 9/11 make people more homophobic for some time afterwards?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did 9/11 make people more homophobic for some time afterwards?  (Read 676 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »

Did 9/11 create sentiments such as, "Christianity is under attack, therefore we must double down on our Christian values", "Bush opposes same-sex marriage, therefore supporting same-sex marriage is unAmerican", etc.?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2018, 05:06:17 PM by mathstatman »

Did 9/11 create sentiments such as, "Christianity is under attack, therefore we must double down on our Christian values", "Bush opposes same-sex marriage, therefore supporting same-sex marriage is unAmerican", etc.?
Interesting question with some historical basis.

Had Mark Bingham received as much attention from the media (and from President Bush) as Todd Beamer, homophobia might have gone down real fast.

The Rev. Jerry Falwell was roundly criticized for saying that gays and lesbians, and feminists "helped" the attacks happen. He later apologized.

A mere 2 months after 9/11, the voters of Huntington Woods, MI passed a gay-rights ordinance (similar to the one neighboring Royal Oak had rejected six months earlier)-- but, alas, HW is a pretty liberal city by metro Detroit standards.

I'm not sure. Polls definitely showed a rise in sympathy with Israel and a drop in the proportion of Americans who believed aid to Israel should be cut. I'm not aware, however, of any drop in anti-semitism.

In some ways, 9/11 temporarily pushed us back to an earlier time. Patriotism was cool; traffic deaths went up, contravening the long-term downward trend in progress since 1969; yet drivers were somehow more courteous.

I do know that support for gun control dropped after 9/11, suggesting a greater embrace of conservative values generally. So, maybe.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:20:58 PM »

I do know that support for gun control dropped after 9/11, suggesting a greater embrace of conservative values generally. So, maybe.
I guess people felt like they needed guns to defend themselves from terrorists.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:29:45 PM »

I guess people felt like they needed guns to defend themselves from terrorists.
Pretty sure it was the TSA that was supposed to protect us. Besides, you can’t even bring weapons on an airplane Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 12:12:31 AM »

No, except for a few wackos maybe.  Consider that the people who carried out the attacks were not generally considered friends to the gays.

Outright discrimination against gays (not just opposing gay marriage) was much less acceptable in society in 2002 than it had been just 5 years earlier.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies