Minimum Wage and Unemployment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Minimum Wage and Unemployment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: If the minimum wage were abolished, what effect would it have on unemplyoment?
Greatly Decrease

Slightly Decrease

No change

Slightly Increase

Greatly Increase

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Minimum Wage and Unemployment  (Read 3479 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »

Discuss.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:34:06 PM »

Slightly decrease, but that's not what it should be repealed. It should be repealed because it's immoral.

Anyway, I would just leave it alone and index it for inflation to keep the Democrats from constantly exploiting the issue.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 01:34:53 PM »

Slightly decrease, but that's not what it should be repealed. It should be repealed because it's immoral.

Anyway, I would just leave it alone and index it for inflation to keep the Democrats from constantly exploiting the issue.

I actually agree with that except for the part that it's immoral.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »

Unemployment would either stay the same or slightly decrease, but median wages would go down and poverty would slightly increase.

The federal minimum wage should be increased to about $7.25 an hour in my opinion.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 01:39:40 PM »

The lack of a minimum wage is immoral.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »

If unemployment stays the same, median wages should not go down since the people affected will be at the bottom of the scale. There is no ripple effect.

Coercion is an odd form of morality, but I'm well aware of the fact that most Democrats hate freedom.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »

If unemployment stays the same, median wages should not go down since the people affected will be at the bottom of the scale. There is no ripple effect.

You're correct on that.

Most likely unemployment slightly decreases and the average wage also slightly decreases.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »

It's odd how many people will say they oppose price controls, and then turn around and say they support minimum wage (which is a price control, and has the same economic effects).

The money saved from the minimum wage could lead to higher wages for other workers or lower prices (in the latter case, it should be noted that this means wages go up in real terms). There shouldn't be any change in the average wage.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »

Holy sh**t.  Maybe we can have a poll on:

1 + 1 is:

Open any macroeconomic textbook and it will tell you minimum wages inversely affect unemployment rate.  Why are we voting on this?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 02:16:46 PM »

The federal minimum wage is unconstitutional. It applies without regard to whether the work in question involves "commerce ... among the states."

In any event, minimum wages in general, I hate to say, are coercive and opposed to the liberty of contract. If someone wants to work for two dollars an hour, I don't think that the government is entitled to stop him from doing so.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 03:09:15 PM »

Holy sh**t.  Maybe we can have a poll on:

1 + 1 is:

Open any macroeconomic textbook and it will tell you minimum wages inversely affect unemployment rate.  Why are we voting on this?

Not everyone agrees with the economics textbooks.  These textbooks are only right if they actually succeed at modelling empirical reality.   Mathematics textbooks do not have to model empirical reality to be "correct" because mathematics is completely contained within its own axioms. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 03:13:19 PM »

Economic theory does not always hold true in the real world. For any economic theory, you can find statistics that have disproven it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 03:28:21 PM »

The federal minimum wage is unconstitutional. It applies without regard to whether the work in question involves "commerce ... among the states."

In any event, minimum wages in general, I hate to say, are coercive and opposed to the liberty of contract. If someone wants to work for two dollars an hour, I don't think that the government is entitled to stop him from doing so.

Well said, this is exactly correct.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 05:07:37 PM »

Unemployment would decrease.  It's a very simple thing to understand, don't hold employers to a forced minimum, and they'll be able to hire more people with the money they don't have to pay to support this minimum.
Burn baby, Burn
pellaken
Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: -1.08

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »

people always told me that no minimum wage would mean no real change in wages.

then I learned that on oklahoma the minimum wage is 2.50 an hour.

so I did a job search.

the number of jobs that returned 2.50 an hour made me want to vomit.
Burn baby, Burn
pellaken
Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: -1.08

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 05:14:43 PM »

Unemployment would decrease.  It's a very simple thing to understand, don't hold employers to a forced minimum, and they'll be able to hire more people with the money they don't have to pay to support this minimum.

without a minimum wage unemployment would not shrink, it'd dissapear. and you'd have 20 people living in each room in each house because they could not afford to do more. unskilled people anyway. they count too.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »

Depends on what the definitions of 'greatly' and 'slightly' are, but I'm certain it would have a bad effect on employment--but not as bad of an effect as raising it to 15.00 would.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »

That's not possible. The federal minimum wage is $5.15 an hour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 11:21:28 PM »

Who cares?  Suicide-bombing is preferable to working in such jobs.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 12:27:19 AM »

That's not possible. The federal minimum wage is $5.15 an hour.

There are certain exemptions--state employees (?), and employees who earn their money mostly from tips.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 12:31:07 AM »

In the microeconomic sense, the minimum wage should increase unemployment, but in the macroeconomic sense being long term and the economy as a whole, it should have no effect on UE, but will increase the GDP and personal spending power.  One should also realize people in this wage zone have the least DI (disposable income) and their MPC (marginal propensity to consume) is much greater.  Inflation may go up a little but the real wages will definitely increase so ergo I favor a min wage increase.   
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 07:48:07 AM »

I would agree that the federal minimum wage is probably unconstitutional as an enforcement of the interstaet commerce clause.

However, I do not think that anybody in a position where they accept a job for $2/hour actually wants to be paid that little, it is quite probably because they have to accept the job or do nothing and starve.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 08:41:26 AM »

I don't think it would make much difference. It would seem that the introduction of the minimum wage has not had an adverse effect (in Britain anyway)

Dave
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 09:44:58 AM »

In the microeconomic sense, the minimum wage should increase unemployment, but in the macroeconomic sense being long term and the economy as a whole, it should have no effect on UE, but will increase the GDP and personal spending power. One should also realize people in this wage zone have the least DI (disposable income) and their MPC (marginal propensity to consume) is much greater. Inflation may go up a little but the real wages will definitely increase so ergo I favor a min wage increase.

Any increase in purchasing power from a higher minimum wage will be offset by a decrease in purchasing power somewhere else.

It is greater productivity that results in greater purchasing power.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »

In the microeconomic sense, the minimum wage should increase unemployment, but in the macroeconomic sense being long term and the economy as a whole, it should have no effect on UE, but will increase the GDP and personal spending power. One should also realize people in this wage zone have the least DI (disposable income) and their MPC (marginal propensity to consume) is much greater. Inflation may go up a little but the real wages will definitely increase so ergo I favor a min wage increase.

Any increase in purchasing power from a higher minimum wage will be offset by a decrease in purchasing power somewhere else.

Of course - the goal is to transferr purchasing power from the owning class to the working class.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies