AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:57:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas  (Read 23530 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
« edited: February 27, 2018, 08:11:44 PM by Virginia »

I'd like to collect some ideas from everyone here. There is no guarantee I can do it all - sometimes even simple-sounding features can be a headache to create, so there are limitations. Try to keep it limited to ideas that would garner a decent amount of support, and ideas that are objectively useful.

Here is the list I've kept so far:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A couple notes:

Like system - obviously there is a split on this, but the "yes" and "no" sides of it both seem passionate, so I'm keeping an open mind on this. Looking at past posts, Dave himself has expressed some interest in this, so it's a possibility. One thing I would absolutely not do no matter how much support there is is a Dislike button. I'd just as soon scrap both than do that.

#6 (restricted posters list): This is more of just an idea I had after people like EHarding. Occasionally we get users who legitimately need to be restricted or else they end up going overboard to the tune of 100+ posts a day. However I'm not sure if this needs to be "feature-ized" as it's pretty simple to get users to curtail their excessive posting if a decision is made. I dunno. Just an idea!

So, what do you think?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »

Is it possible to ignore threads started by ignored users?  Off Topic kind of sucks right now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »

How about a YouTube embed feature, like on AAD?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »

^ Yes I meant to add that to list. I wanted to do it this time around but it's a pain in the butt that had to wait.

How about a YouTube embed feature, like on AAD?

def
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »

"delete my account" feature. Tongue

Not sure how I feel about the partisan polls idea. I like being able to vote in democrat polls while not wearing that disgusting D-NY avatar.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »

It would be great if the Search function could be fixed so that it can search phrases (the "..." option doesn't work). 

You know how there's those little buttons under the avatar people can have for their AIM or Yahoo, among other things like email or their Atlas weblog?   Maybe have some options for more current platforms.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:29:14 PM »

1. [x ] More statistics for stats page - # of unique users who logged each day / month, top posters/thread makers by month
2. [NO ] Allow partisan polls (republican only, democrat only, and allow mixed partisan polls where each choice has a R/D/I version). Also minimum post count option, "only users with accounts older than x" option, etc.
6. [ NO] A list Modadmins can put users on that would limit them to x posts per day and/or x posts per hour, maybe with options to limit on specific boards only
8. [x ] YouTube bbcode

Others, I don't have much of an opinion of.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »

Can you stop the 20 second limit from hitting you if you post within 20 seconds of logging in?

Also, the 20 seconds resets whenever you jump the gun on a post, can that be fixed?

I have more general issues with the 20 second limit (for instance, it sucks when I'm pasting election returns into two different threads) but I don't think they can be fixed without removing the limit entirely (and I do think it's a reasonable safegusrds.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 09:50:22 PM »

On recent posts, can the posts from users on ignore actually be ignored?  
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »

Can you stop the 20 second limit from hitting you if you post within 20 seconds of logging in?

Also, the 20 seconds resets whenever you jump the gun on a post, can that be fixed?

I have more general issues with the 20 second limit (for instance, it sucks when I'm pasting election returns into two different threads) but I don't think they can be fixed without removing the limit entirely (and I do think it's a reasonable safegusrds.

Would it be possible to just have the posting automatically delayed until the 20 seconds are up?  Or would that defeat the purpose?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »

^ I think probably the way you are thinking would defeat the purpose. To just delay the messages would still allow a spammer to bang out like 30 spam posts and just send them all at once and watch them appear one at a time every 20 seconds.

Sestak - what about reduced to 15 seconds? It's not much, but the feature is for anti-spam, so Dave wouldn't want to get rid of it entirely. I made new anti-spam stuff so this 20 second delay is less useful now imo.

Also, good idea HCP
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 10:35:12 PM »

^ I think probably the way you are thinking would defeat the purpose. To just delay the messages would still allow a spammer to bang out like 30 spam posts and just send them all at once and watch them appear one at a time every 20 seconds.

Sestak - what about reduced to 15 seconds? It's not much, but the feature is for anti-spam, so Dave wouldn't want to get rid of it entirely. I made new anti-spam stuff so this 20 second delay is less useful now imo.

Also, good idea HCP

Maybe it just reload the posting page with the post still there but not send, just with the little message in red also that says "please wait 15 seconds between postings"?   (Instead of taking you to an error page and potentially losing what you were writing.)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »

Not sure if this is possible, but a House prediction map, as part of the Atlas Election Predictions section.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:05 AM »

What about a feature where you can view all threads started by a given poster?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 12:33:59 AM »

I'd like this too. Mostly to view my own threads started.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »

How about while still not showing which poster reported one of your posts, show which post was reported and the reasoning given?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »

Also, good idea HCP

My biggest annoyance is that I have to wait 20 seconds after logging on. If it could be modified to only be between posts, I'd be happy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 09:17:43 AM »

Is there any talk of re-organising or adding boards?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »

Another one that may or may not be possible with a new feature:

When you are quoted and get an alert, I would rather it not open in a new tab, but my bigger concern is that I wish it was possible to click straight from there to the first unread post, even if that was not the quoted one.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »

Virginia, may I ask why you're so strongly anti-dislike button?  I think that it's at least worth experimenting with.  Who knows, maybe threads will become less likely to be derailed if people express their grievances with each other through dislikes instead of verbal hostility.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »

Virginia, may I ask why you're so strongly anti-dislike button?  I think that it's at least worth experimenting with.  Who knows, maybe threads will become less likely to be derailed if people express their grievances with each other through dislikes instead of verbal hostility.

Too many people won't like having their posts Disliked imo. I don't really like it either, and it bothers me when certain posters basically start spamming Dislikes on a poster's entire history, or perhaps just dislikes posts based on the user and not the post. I don't think it would have a good effect on the forum. It's not that uncommon either. I don't think youtube has it, not sure about FB.

At best I'd rather code the ability to have Dislikes, but only allow Likes/Recommended at first, and see how that fits. That way Dislikes could be enabled later on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

I don't think "likes" are a good idea unless the site is much more stringent on personal attacks.  It's one thing for one person to insult or hurt accusations at you, it's another when that such a thing gets a dozen likes.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »

I'd like this too. Mostly to view my own threads started.

Additionally, I'd like to know if someone has posted something after I did, like on Wikipedia.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »

When you are quoted and get an alert, I would rather it not open in a new tab
yes please
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 05:29:57 PM »

Virginia, could you extend the fields for poll options? 25 px is way too small.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies