Which Northeastern states can Republicans win or compete in the future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:47:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which Northeastern states can Republicans win or compete in the future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Northeastern states can Republicans win or compete in the future?  (Read 1570 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

Which Northeastern states can Republicans win or compete in the future at the presidential level? The Democratic Party's core support are in a majority of these East Coast/Northeast states, even if some of the these states have "white-working class blue collar ethnic voters".

ME (Maine)
RI (Rhode Island)
MA (Massachusetts)
NH (New Hampshire)
VT (Vermont)
NY (New York)
NJ (New Jersey)
PA (Pennsylvania)
CT (Connecticut)
DE (Delaware)
DC (Washington D.C.)
**VA (Virginia)**
Note: I don't really characterize Virginia as a Northeastern state.
Virginia is a Southern state (seen as Mid-Atlantic).
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »

Maine and Vermont, if the Dems continue to piss away more of their WWC support to try and chase billionaires in the Sun Belt.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »

Rhode Island MIGHT vote republican if the candidate is a softer more polite trump, but I'm not sure the GOP will go that rout again.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »

Rhode Island MIGHT vote republican if the candidate is a softer more polite trump, but I'm not sure the GOP will go that rout again.

Yep, they won't go softer and more polite in the near future. Dems are bringing pencils in a knife fight.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »

In the foreseeable future, the Republicans' ceiling in the Northeast would consist of them winning PA, NH, ME-AL & ME-02. All other states in the geographic Northeast would be considered "locks" for Democrats.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »

Maine and Vermont, if the Dems continue to piss away more of their WWC support to try and chase billionaires in the Sun Belt.
Hillary still won Vermont by almost 30 points, so I'm not so sure about that.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 01:31:28 AM »

Obviously Pennsylvania, as well as New Hampshire, and the jury's still out on Maine (it's yet to be seen if 2016 was flukish or if Maine really is becoming a battleground). The rest will remain Democratic for at least the foreseeable future.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »

Maybe RI but not NH? I’ll bet any amount of money that New Hampshire will vote to the right of Rhode Island in every single presidential election in the 2020’s. They’re both New England states but RI is more minority heavy, more working class, and not as likely to be supportive of Republican presidential candidates as NH.

Yeah, they shouldn’t contest RI unless it’s obvious they’re winning in a landslide (relatively speaking, at least).

ME (not ME-02) should lean D in a 50/50 election (at least in 2020), but is it really that outrageous to suggest that the state could be competitive (at least more so than VA or CO)? PA is the state that matters most, regardless of what “kind” of Republican they run (definitely not buying that Trump was the only Republican who could have won it, lol).

I’m not buying that NH is winnable for Republicans anymore or that it will become a lean R state, we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. Sununu is extremely liberal on social issues, and even he only won a gubernatorial race by 2 and with less than 50% against a very weak opponent. They voted against Trump in the presidential race despite the substantial amount of attention he devoted to the state and voted out an incumbent Republican Senator and a Republican representative in a GOP wave year even though everyone had told me that NH was THE bellwether state to watch (in both the presidential race and in terms of Senate control). As far as the much-vaunted Republican trifecta is concerned... trust me, it will no longer exist after 2018. Wink

Trump almost won NH. Less than a point.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »

I think a Republican could win Rhode Island under the right circumstances. I drive through the state once or twice a week for work, there are certain parts of Kent County that remind me of Indiana. Trump actually almost won Warwick, the city with the second most votes after Providence.

There are a lot of inroads that Republicans can make on the western side of the state, as the eastern side is usually Democratic. In terms of the three counties, if they can only lose Providence County by 15, win Kent County by 5 or 6, and break even or only lose Washington County by 2 or 3 then they'd be very close to winning the state.

I went to school there for 3 years. It's typically liberal but both Clinton and Trump got a smaller percent of the vote than they did in Connecticut (Rhode Island had almost 7% voting third party.)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »

Maybe RI but not NH? I’ll bet any amount of money that New Hampshire will vote to the right of Rhode Island in every single presidential election in the 2020’s. They’re both New England states but RI is more minority heavy, more working class, and not as likely to be supportive of Republican presidential candidates as NH.

Yeah, they shouldn’t contest RI unless it’s obvious they’re winning in a landslide (relatively speaking, at least).

ME (not ME-02) should lean D in a 50/50 election (at least in 2020), but is it really that outrageous to suggest that the state could be competitive (at least more so than VA or CO)? PA is the state that matters most, regardless of what “kind” of Republican they run (definitely not buying that Trump was the only Republican who could have won it, lol).

I’m not buying that NH is winnable for Republicans anymore or that it will become a lean R state, we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. Sununu is extremely liberal on social issues, and even he only won a gubernatorial race by 2 and with less than 50% against a very weak opponent. They voted against Trump in the presidential race despite the substantial amount of attention he devoted to the state and voted out an incumbent Republican Senator and a Republican representative in a GOP wave year even though everyone had told me that NH was THE bellwether state to watch (in both the presidential race and in terms of Senate control). As far as the much-vaunted Republican trifecta is concerned... trust me, it will no longer exist after 2018. Wink

Trump almost won NH. Less than a point.
Don't bother trying to convince him. He's sold on this "Solid D NH" theory.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »

From most likely to least likely:

PA
NH
ME
DE
NJ
CT