Republicans don't want an Independent Katrina investigation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:55:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans don't want an Independent Katrina investigation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republicans don't want an Independent Katrina investigation  (Read 7550 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2005, 03:15:26 PM »

The call for a bipartisan commission failed in a partisan vote.

All the present Democrats plus Jeffords voted for it
All the present Republicans voted against it.
It failed 44-54, with Vitter and Corzine absent.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00229#position

What do the Republicans have to hide? Time to vote every single last Republican out.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:30:31 PM »

It's strange how Democrats have been opposed to Congressional committee investigations ever since they lost Congress.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »

Pretty pissed you're in the minority now, eh?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »

OK, YOUR TEH BOSS
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 03:54:08 PM »

What possible justification could one give for why they would oppose such an investigation?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:02:54 PM »

Waste of time. Why doesn't Congress do something important, like repeal the estate tax?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 04:19:04 PM »

It is a waste of time.

-The Federal Government screwed up
-The local governments screwed up

How about they get around to solving the problem and helping the people out that were effected.

L3TS VOTE OUT ALL THOSE 3VIL D3MOCRATS!!1!!!11!!1
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 05:51:26 PM »

Reading some of the amendments to the bill which the investigation is listed, I can see why some people voted against it.  A request for investigation should be a stand-alone request with no Congressmen on the committee.  The investigation should be headed up by professionals in the fields of catastrophe response, evacuation planning, transportation, etc . . . a truly independent panel. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 06:41:26 PM »

It is not surprising to me that the Republicans are afraid of a bi-partisan investigation, which I'm sure would find plenty of fault with the Democratic mayor of NO as well as the federal government.

This is how they are. There is never any accountability. It's always party before country.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »

Just like the Democrats who would rather have congressmen on the comittee instead of experts in the field. I can think of two guys in John Breaux and Rudy Guiliani who would be perfect people to chair a bipartisan committee. Instead, the Democrats want people like Biden or Kennedy to sit on the commission and turn it into a circus.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »

OMG OMG OMG Jfern!  You've convinced me and like 90% of teh rest of the forum.  I'm gonna be a DEMOCRAT NOw!!!111.  BUsh SUX I have a problem with my allegies!! It must be his fault!!  Let's have an independent investigation on why the Republicans won't help my allergy probelms.  It's tehr faultt!!  I'm gonna go get prenant and then abort it just to piss of Republcians and then make fun of Southern religious people because they hate me and scare me. And then I'm gonna subscribe to teh dailykos, become a member of the Democratic Union and we'll be on our way to FREeDomZ!1111!!!!!!1one.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 09:27:06 PM »

Even for the partisan Republicans and Republican sympathizers on this forum, you have to question why the Republican party would be opposed to this investigation.

Don't they want to know what went wrong and how it can be fixed in the future?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 09:31:55 PM »

Um, ever think to read my post or maybe read the amendments? The amendment specifies a congressional committee, not a government commission. One has political hacks running the show, the other has people who know what they're talking about running it. I'll take the latter.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:48:37 PM »

Bush has already called for an executive level investigation.  A congressional investigation would be duplication of effort and an unnecessary expense.

Further, the riders to stock it with senators sunk it.  If they had instead been appointing people not currently in an elected office, such as Giuliani and the head of FEMA under Clinton (I cannot remember his name right now), it would have had a shot at actual support.

To the democrats who want the senate investigation:  Would you support it if it were staffed by Santorum, Coburn, Bunning and other people your party likes to vilify?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 10:04:15 PM »

James Lee Witt, who was considered excellent.  BTW:  Prior to his reorganization of FEMA, he was a county judge and owned a local construction company.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 11:05:54 PM »

Just like the Democrats who would rather have congressmen on the comittee instead of experts in the field. I can think of two guys in John Breaux and Rudy Guiliani who would be perfect people to chair a bipartisan committee. Instead, the Democrats want people like Biden or Kennedy to sit on the commission and turn it into a circus.

What part of bi-partisan commission don't you understand? The Democrats might pick Breaux.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 11:07:07 PM »

Bush has already called for an executive level investigation.  A congressional investigation would be duplication of effort and an unnecessary expense.

Further, the riders to stock it with senators sunk it.  If they had instead been appointing people not currently in an elected office, such as Giuliani and the head of FEMA under Clinton (I cannot remember his name right now), it would have had a shot at actual support.

To the democrats who want the senate investigation:  Would you support it if it were staffed by Santorum, Coburn, Bunning and other people your party likes to vilify?

Sorry that I'm not going to be impressed with a non-independent commission full of Bush political hacks like Brown that caused the problem in the first place. You have the foxes guarding the hen house.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 11:35:58 PM »

jfern, what's in your siggy?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »

Ah.
Millions of dollars to investigate Clintons penis was important.
This is not so important.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 11:41:26 PM »

Who can tell; he's consistently supported Nagin's policies that had the effect of killing NOLA residents that were mostly poor an Black.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 11:47:45 PM »

Bush wrote a note to Condaleeza Rice telling her he needed to go to the bathroom or something.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 11:50:39 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050914/ids_photos_ts/r2587077477.jpg#gooderhead

I thought it was a fake.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 12:21:41 AM »

I'm not entirely sure that it is really Bush; that's very close for a reporter.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 07:23:01 AM »

It's being reported that the photographer says it's Bush, but there is no way to tell from the picture.  What is needed is a comparrison between the handwriting in the photo and prior handwriting examples known to be from Bush.  However, it is pretty funny.  hahha
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 07:24:47 AM »

What part of bi-partisan commission don't you understand? The Democrats might pick Breaux.

The only problem then is this does not become an independent investigation.  Just politicians reviewing an event.  For a real investigation, they should hire professionals in these fields to examine the whole response and see what went wrong and how it should be corrected.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies