RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:48:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students  (Read 12738 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »

The responses to an angry and passionate comment on the 2nd amendment.

-He's ugly.
-He was bullied in High School LOL
-We can't take it! Ban him!

Yeah, you guys are going to be in for a rude awakening when the guns are gone and students are still somehow dying in mass numbers at schools. Because you're either willfully ignorant or actively perpetrating this increasingly restricting culture that is isolating and destroying young minds.

Likewise, assuming that anybody on the right gets off their asses and actually tries to do anything about "mental health" (which I highly doubt), you will also be in for a rude surprise when you realize that "mental health" is a huge, multi-fasceted problem which society at large has no answers. Sending every kid to therapy isn't going to stop school shootings either, yet that isn't going to make me bitch about how we shouldn't have any counseling services the way you people bitch about you AR15s.

We don't want any right wingers doing anything about mental health.  They do everything in the most heartless, sociopathic, exclusionary way... all they'll do is put people on a registry so they can stigmatize and isolate people with mental illness further.
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »

The Republican party has become the party of sociopaths.

I really wish I didn't think you were right.

The question is, where does that leave the rest of us? A quarter to a half of our felow citizens are either monsters or too foolish to be treated as functioning human beings. (And that's not counting any idiots or sociopaths on 'our side', of which there are surely some.) What does a rational human being do in such a situation?

This is a really hard question. my career coach is a republican, and smart, and well-meaning, and not a trump supporter.  He got bevin elected, but that's his one mark. I trust and like him, and we get along fine because we can talk and we can agree on facts.

I'd like to remove fox news and infowars from the face of the earth, but freedom of speech. I'd like to impart some kind of intelligence/information requirement on voting, but that's going to have insane unintended consequences.

Instead, I guess we just wait them out and yell them down. Removing the insane amount of soft money in campaigns I think would dial down the temperature. That's how I really think about it- we've overheated emotionally and lost control of our own frontal cortexes.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »

Anyone who has to state this is obviously blaming the victims.
If only you guys would have read my post instead of screaming "TEH CHILDREN! TEH CHIDRUN!" I wouldn't have had to clarify now would I?

YOU LITERALLY SAID THAT "PARKLAND KIDS ARE HORRIBLE AND DESERVED IT".
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »

If only you guys would have read my post instead of screaming "TEH CHILDREN! TEH CHIDRUN!" I wouldn't have had to clarify now would I?
I'm sure you were just as erratic when talking about the transgender bathroom issue.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »

People are attacking you Sanchez because you're attacking the survivors of a mass shooting who are childern no less. Do you understand how much of a raging douche you come off as?
Do you understand how incredibly annoying it is to hear that bald girl call out law-abiding gun owners as "complicit" in a situation that really only involves her and her peers? It's almost like they don't want to look back at things....

They just experienced an extremely traumatic event. Wouldn't you expect some of them to say some disagreeable things as a result?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »

I'm sure you were just as erratic when talking about the transgender bathroom issue.
I really don’t care who is in the bathroom with me, so no.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:34 PM »

YOU LITERALLY SAID THAT "PARKLAND KIDS ARE HORRIBLE AND DESERVED IT".
Did I? Or did I note that Parklands the kind of toxic place where storms like this brew? There is a distinction.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »

People are attacking you Sanchez because you're attacking the survivors of a mass shooting who are childern no less. Do you understand how much of a raging douche you come off as?
Do you understand how incredibly annoying it is to hear that bald girl call out law-abiding gun owners as "complicit" in a situation that really only involves her and her peers? It's almost like they don't want to look back at things....

And when people push for stricter anti-bullying campaigns, the right-wing is quick to accuse these children of being "snowflakes" and "too soft." Not to mention that bullying tends to derive from behavior and repressed feelings at home and in their communities. Sure, most school shooters are children who've experienced inexcusable bullying, but that comes from children who themselves are victims of whatever factors have contributed to their desire to seek out inflicting physical or emotional pain on others as their outlet. So, to blame those kids for that, whose abilities to self-reflect and think critically are still limited and growing, is pretty ignorant.

The fault lies with the parents, with the communities, with the school administrators, with our culture of glorifying violence and toxic masculinity, and with the easy access mentally ill people and those inclined to crime have when seeking to obtain a weapon to slaughter numerous innocents. And, although all of those contributing factors need immediate and serious attention, we can at least take the easier step of dramatically reducing access to tools that empower sociopaths to easily massacre people. I really can't comprehend how that's so difficult to grasp. No, it won't eliminate violence or murder, nor will it stop bullying or cure so many other of society's ills. But it will at least reduce the casualty count - and all it takes is for people to "sacrifice" easy access to unnecessary weapons. Unfortunately, protecting innocent lives, including those of school children, matters far less to gun nuts than "muh 2nd Amendment Rights!!"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »

They just experienced an extremely traumatic event. Wouldn't you expect some of them to say some disagreeable things as a result?

Yeah, it was no different after Sandy Hook........as noted in other threads, memories are short.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

um... The culture of wealth disparity, gated communities, a dearth of mental health resources, and widely available guns?

Who's perpetuating what culture? Cruz was one of you, my man.
Cruz lost his mother and was living in a trailer in Lantana near the airport. Cruz was a permanently shattered, angry, disturbed young man. Those don't really fit in with the trends of the Parkland types I've just mentioned.

I'm practically a pacifist. I don't see how my belief in my uncle's right to keep his hunting rifle equates to me perpetuating a culture of violence, as opposed to say, all the people who thought Cruz's seemingly idle threats were "LOL hillarious! He's so weirdz!"

so your answer to my questions is a culture of trivializing the concern for violence? He was reported several times, but given than gun laws are so lax, there was nothing they could do. The kid hadn't committed a crime until he did, and if he had his guns taken away before he killed anyone, guess who would be screaming about an intrusive and overbearing government confiscating guns?

Coherence is possible, my man, but you gotta learn to change your mind sometime.
The kid should've never been able to pass a background check. He shouldn't have been able to buy the guns at 19. Bump stocks (irrelevant here but still a issue) and modifications (but not the gun proper) should be banned.

He used to sell knifes at school. 27 people were killed yesterday in a China knife attack. Take away the gun, and you still have an angry kid hell bent on acting out his perverse revenge on a bunch of students. You aren't dealing with the problem still. You aren't solving the crisis in his head or the exterior factors that are making it exponentially worse. What now?
So your argument is that inequality and its associated social implications (exclusion, marginalization, bullying, etc) is the real culprit here.  I agree!  But it's not the only factor.  There was also the fact that he just had a sh**tty hand of cards dealt to him with being a double orphan by age 19.  There was the easy access to very deadly guns... the access itself probably emboldening him to act like he did (he may have thought twice about knifing up the school because of the proximity needed to harm people)...

You argue that people only care about this cuz it affected spoiled rich kids while bemoaning the violence in minority communities, which are plagued with grinding poverty and lack of opportunity in our drastically unequal society.

You've built up the idea in your head that Democrats are the rich ones who want to keep you poor.  You believed the guy that took 11 out of 12 cookies on the plate when he said "that scary Democrat wants to take your cookie"...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »

About as annoying as the Benghazi mom that went on Fox and the RNC to blame Hillary for her son's death but you didn't see her get attacked by dem pundits
I see you attacking her now. I see Atlas Dems do it all the time. And they're "regular" people. This stuff doesn't exist in Beltway alone you know.
So what if me or "regular people" attack the Benghazi mom? That's wasn't my point. The point I'm making is pundits and news sites are attacking the kids. I don't care about some "regular" on a comment section like you attacking them. If I did this thread be about the spamming that these kids videos get on YT
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »

It was this way after sandy hook. They were accused of being crisis actors and the event a false flag.

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »

Sanchez, if I give you the benefit of the doubt, I can understand your point when I reread your posts. But holy sh**t are you not good at framing arguments.

I think what you are trying to say is that because bullying/nastiness is pervasive in our culture (see: this thread), people are going to snap and reach a breaking point where they lash out. This can take a number of different forms. Nikolas Cruz's way of lashing out was to do so physically by shooting his classmates. You are saying that if there were no guns, the underlying problem surrounding Cruz's unhappiness would have still been present, and he (or some other person) would have found some other violent way to attack people if he was so inclined.

Is that your argument? I see some merits if so. I think this argument could have been framed in a way that didn't highlight the fact that the other Parkland students were bratty and rich (sounds like something personal on your end to be honest) because highlighting their behavior instead of Cruz's response is nearly impossible to do without casting blame on the victims.

I also appreciate your willingness to admit that Cruz shouldn't have passed a background test and shouldn't be owning a gun. If you mean this then I'm willing to retract what I said about you personally obfuscating absolutist gun control with other regulations (although there are other posters here who still do that)

I'm going to work now so I'm not going to respond for a while. Peace be unto you.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »

Deplorables gotta deplore.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:28 PM »

Sanchez, if I give you the benefit of the doubt, I can understand your point when I reread your posts. But holy sh**t are you not good at framing arguments.

I think what you are trying to say is that because bullying/nastiness is pervasive in our culture (see: this thread), people are going to snap and reach a breaking point where they lash out. This can take a number of different forms. Nikolas Cruz's way of lashing out was to do so physically by shooting his classmates. You are saying that if there were no guns, the underlying problem surrounding Cruz's unhappiness would have still been present, and he (or some other person) would have found some other violent way to attack people if he was so inclined.

Is that your argument? I see some merits if so. I think this argument could have been framed in a way that didn't highlight the fact that the other Parkland students were bratty and rich (sounds like something personal on your end to be honest) because highlighting their behavior instead of Cruz's response is nearly impossible to do without casting blame on the victims.

I also appreciate your willingness to admit that Cruz shouldn't have passed a background test and shouldn't be owning a gun. If you mean this then I'm willing to retract what I said about you personally obfuscating absolutist gun control with other regulations (although there are other posters here who still do that)

I'm going to work now so I'm not going to respond for a while. Peace be unto you.
And to you as well. It’s a f**ked up world and it isn’t going to heal with a band-aid, whatever that be gun control or token Republican scraps being thrown to stop-gap the problem.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »

And to you as well. It’s a f**ked up world and it isn’t going to heal with a band-aid, whatever that be gun control or token Republican scraps being thrown to stop-gap the problem.

Yes I agree this is a much more complicated issue than either of the sides's hot takes are willing to admit to. I myself am quite skeptical of some forms of gun control, but a lot of the discourse that the right uses around gun control (about libs taking away their hunting rifles) really makes my blood boil because it presents a false dichotomy and simplifies a complicated problem.

(okay going to work now)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »

By all means, let them defame the students and let folks like Sanchez lash out at them. This is the perfect way to catapult gun control to the political arena over the next few months.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »

By all means, let them defame the students and let folks like Sanchez lash out at them. This is the perfect way to catapult gun control to the political arena over the next few months.
Exactly. Give them enough rope to figuratively hang themselves.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »

Well, the mass murderer was a Trump supporter, so the deplorables do have to close ranks.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »

Exactly. Give them enough rope to figuratively hang themselves.
The only people who hanging themselves figuratively are the Parklanders who keep blaming the shooting on gun owners and keep threatening to "vote out" anti-gun control legislators even when their representation is overwhelmingly Democratic. They're in Moskowitz's district. Who are they going to vote out? Debbie Mayfield in Vero? All they are doing is pissing off the rest of the state.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »

Conservatives: 17 YEAR OLD KIDS ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE SMART OPINIONS ON GUNS, CRISIS ACTORS. FED LINES.

Those same conservatives, 3 months ago: The girl Roy Moore f**cked is basically an adult.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »

Also: Everything Sanchez has wrote since the shooting leads me to believe he emphasizes with Cruz far more than any of his victims.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »

Also: Everything Sanchez has wrote since the shooting leads me to believe he emphasizes with Cruz far more than any of his victims.
I thought I was a white nationalist who wanted Cruz and his family deported because reasons. Which is it?
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »

I thought I was a white nationalist who wanted Cruz and his family deported because reasons. Which is it?

You changed your mind when Cruz killed some of the preppies who annoyed you in high school.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

You changed your mind when Cruz killed some of the preppies who annoyed you in high school.
I didn't go to High School in Parkland but nice try.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies