Scholars rank Trump as the worst President in American history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:24:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scholars rank Trump as the worst President in American history
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Scholars rank Trump as the worst President in American history  (Read 1938 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
« edited: February 19, 2018, 10:40:52 AM by PittsburghSteel »

Democrat, Independent, AND Republican scholars all rank Trump as being one of the worst Presidents in history.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/19/opinion/how-does-trump-stack-up-against-the-best-and-worst-presidents.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

In a question regarding the possibility of a new face on Mt. Rushmore, 66% of respondents chose FDR. He was favorited among Democrats, Independents, and Republicans.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »

Not really a judgement one can make only year into someone's Presidency.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

The article mentions that there is still three years for him to improve. This is just how he ranks currently.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 01:58:06 PM by Special K »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Hate to say I told you so, but...I told you so.

I’d also like to say that the American electorate who put him there are among the worst generation, making their grandparents rotate in their graves.  To the Trump voters, I give a giant F you and a middle finger.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »

Hard to see how he’s worse than James Buchanan or Warren Harding, even considering everything that’s gone wrong.

Top Five worst, though, no argument from me there.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »

The article mentions that there is still three years for him to improve. This is just how he ranks currently.

Ah ok. I ran out of my free monthly articles, so I was operating on assumptions.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 10:55:54 AM by Fmr. Rep. Illiniwek »

Ah ok. I ran out of my free monthly articles, so I was operating on assumptions.

If you use a "Private Window" in Safari or "Incognito Window" in Chrome (idk the Firefox or Edge equivalents) you can get around the monthly limits.

Looks like a Freedom List to me. Surprised how high Nixon is ranking these days, but I'm sorta ok with it.
Joey1996

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »

Stupid and wrong
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »

Hard to see how he’s worse than James Buchanan or Warren Harding, even considering everything that’s gone wrong.

Top Five worst, though, no argument from me there.

He should be up with Warren Harding but neither of them should be considered worse than

Buchanan
Pierce
Andrew Johnson
Hoover
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »

...and three years of opportunity for an economic meltdown, a scandal that he cannot shake, or an international disaster. In view of his bloated ego and his refractory personality, I cannot expect him to meet any major challenge effectively. We have all seen his style of management -- "My Way or the Highway", and it does not work in Washington.   

Note this comes almost ten years after a much-maligned President -- Dubya -- left office with the Presidency in tatters. So he i s being compared to Dubya, one of the least effective Presidents ever.

His character is well established, and I doubt that it will improve or that Americans will like it any more. The only changes of character that one sees in people of President Trump's age come from increasing debility of mind.   
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »

This says more about academia than Trump. No matter how you feel Trump saying stupid/mean things does not surpass plunging the country into a civil war. Despite the partisan hysteria that surrounds every president, the worst presidents are the pre/post civil war era presidents: Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, and Johnson. Outside of that era any reasonable person would rate Tyler, Harding, and Hoover worse than any President from the modern era
Unironic Kamala Harris for President Supporter
BeastCoast
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

Trump is no worse than his contemporaries.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

Trump is no worse than his contemporaries.

If you truly believe that then you have no knowledge of the presidency as it has been in modern history.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »

All disjunctive presidents that preside before a major realignment rank last on that list. Trump is finished and he's taking the GOP with him
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 02:45:41 PM by Great Again: American Horror Story »

Hey, if you take only the Republican scholars into account, Donald Trump ranks 40th... beating Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, William Henry Harrison, and James Buchanan. Better than nothing. Tongue  All three political camps of scholars agree that Donald Trump is the worst post-1900 president though.

Oh, and Barack Obama is apparently now the 8th best president in American history, roughly on par with Eisenhower and Reagan. (The Republican scholars place him at 16th, where he still beats John Adams, James Madison, James Monroe and from the more contemporary office-holders JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, and GWB.)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »

This says more about academia than Trump. No matter how you feel Trump saying stupid/mean things does not surpass plunging the country into a civil war. Despite the partisan hysteria that surrounds every president, the worst presidents are the pre/post civil war era presidents: Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, and Johnson. Outside of that era any reasonable person would rate Tyler, Harding, and Hoover worse than any President from the modern era
The thing is that there isn't a fundamental fault line as strong as slavery to plunge the nation into war right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »

After one year? Junk rating.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »

It clearly states that there are three more years and that this ranking is where he stands RIGHT NOW.

Not hard to comprehend.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »

Somewhat surprised by the low ranking of Kennedy. The Cuban Missile Crisis alone ought to place him higher.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »

The thing is that there isn't a fundamental fault line as strong as slavery to plunge the nation into war right now.

Just like with the immediate pre-civil war presidents, Donald Trump could be accused in the future that he did most of his damage through inaction.

He doesn't do anything against climate change. He ignores (and ridicules) warnings of future Russian cyber-attacks. He's passive on gun violence etc.

Especially the climate change thing could be seen as roughly comparable to the Civil war fifty years from now or so.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »

It clearly states that there are three more years and that this ranking is where he stands RIGHT NOW.

Not hard to comprehend.
Yeah still junk, rating a president needs hindsight that can take 25-50 years. Eisenhower and Truman were viewed as failed presidents in the years after they left office
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »

Not hard to comprehend.

This says more about bias than anything else, I hate to say. Yes, Kim Jong Trump (R-Moscow) is a disgusting excuse for a human being. And his politics are loathsome, and he looks grossly incompetent. But history is, by definition, judged on outcomes.

I think he will end up at the bottom of the heap. But if his presidency ended today, he would be remembered  as wracked by petty scandals, presidential faux pas and maybe the tax bill. It would likely leave him in the bottom quintile, but hardly worst.

There are Presidents (Lincoln and Hoover among them) where the nation was an absolute disaster at this point in their term. I think so-called 'President' Trump (R-Moscow) is a drunk driver steering us towards a firey crash, but if we never get there, he remains just a dangerous and despicable fool, not the war criminal and nation-wrecker he wants to be.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »

I thought you were gonna quit posting.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

They shouldn't have included Trump and I say that as a staunch critic of Trump's. If I had to rank his Presidency thus far, it would be in the bottom 10, but certainly not below Pierce's, Buchanan's, or Andrew Johnson's.

With that said, let's move on to other Presidents. Obama doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10. He left the Democratic party in its' worst position since before the Great Depression, Income inequality sky rocketed on his watch despite a recovery from the Great Recession, and his Foreign Policy, while an improvement from Bush/Cheney's and while it's looking better and better every day compared to Trump's, it still wasn't without massive flaws. Reagan is also undeserving of the Top 10 as well. His response to AIDS was disgraceful, he set a bad precedent when it comes to taxes and spending and it was on his watch that the Debt and Deficit began to spiral out of control. His giving rise to the religious right was also damaging as well. It's also nice to see Wilson and Kennedy falling out of the top 10 as well, although LOL at Republicans ranking GW Bush over JFK in their ranking, and Speaking of GW Bush, he was NOT a better President than Richard Nixon. It's sad that even Democrats now rank him above Nixon.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

Somewhat surprised by the low ranking of Kennedy. The Cuban Missile Crisis alone ought to place him higher.

Sexcapades might be taking down his rating. Public attitudes toward reckless fornication by the rich and powerful have changed dramatically in the last few months. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies