who is more representative of their party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:24:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  who is more representative of their party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ....
opebo

bullmoose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: who is more representative of their party?  (Read 3771 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:56:19 AM »

discuss
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »

opebo, because he agrees with Democrats on the core issues.

While most Democrats don't support pedolphilia, his stances on things like the Iraq War, economics, abortion, gay rights, etc. are quite in the Democratic mainstream.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:05:15 PM »

Bullmoose seems too socially liberal/libertarian to be representative of the GOP. That said many Republicans are, it's always puzzled me how on earth does the GOP manage to hold its socially libertarian and socially conservative wings together?

I wouldn't exactly say that Opebo embodies the Democratic Party either. He's quite in a league of his own, that one

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:07:14 PM »

I wouldn't exactly say that Opebo embodies the Democratic Party either. He's quite in a league of his own, that one

Oh I agree. But let's look at the basics of his positions:

Iraq War - against
economics - generally to the left, pro-union, pro-living wages, pro-progressive tax, etc.
abortion - pro-choice
gay rights - pro-full gay rights, pro-gay marriage

Those are all mainstream positions in the party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »

BRTD, I seriously hope you're joking.

Iraq War - Opebo supports reinstating Saddam Hussein with reparations, as well as keeping the "nasty Shi'ites" in line.

Economics - Opebo is basically a Marxist here.

Abortion - Opebo isn't just pro-choice here, he actually seems to encourage women to do it.

Other social issues - pedophilia.  Need I say more?

I guess you have a seriously deluded view of your own party if you think Opebo is a representative of its mainstream positions.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 12:13:25 PM »

opebo, because he agrees with Democrats on the core issues.

While most Democrats don't support pedolphilia, his stances on things like the Iraq War, economics, abortion, gay rights, etc. are quite in the Democratic mainstream.

Be that the case, I guess that I must be way out of the Democratic mainstream!

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:16:52 PM »

Iraq War - Opebo supports reinstating Saddam Hussein with reparations, as well as keeping the "nasty Shi'ites" in line.

I agree with him on the Shi'ites, they haven't exactly done a great job running Iran and there's no reason to think they'd do any better in Iraq. I don't support reinstating Saddam though, that's probably impossible at this point anyway. But his basic position if you boil it down to for or against is he's against. Most Democrats are.

-3.88 is hardly a Marxist score.

Abortion - Opebo isn't just pro-choice here, he actually seems to encourage women to do it.

Well perhaps, but that's not affected by law. His simple legal position is it should be legal, which most Democrats agree with.

Other social issues - pedophilia.  Need I say more?.

That's not really a social issue, since whether it should be legal is hardly ever discussed.

But in basics, opebo is pro-gay rights and supports church/state seperation. Most Democrats agree.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »

I still think most Democrats would be offended by the thought of Opebo being truly representative of your party.  Except for the elitist liberal types who also cast down their poorly judged views on 'poors' and 'blacks' from their ivory towers.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »

BRTD, I seriously hope you're joking.

Other social issues - pedophilia.  Need I say more?

I guess you have a seriously deluded view of your own party if you think Opebo is a representative of its mainstream positions.

He's way off radar from most Democrats

Democratic voters are pretty split between moderates and liberals (with the moderates, as a whole, having the edge), while its activists tend to be more liberal. The party is, undoubtedly, less conservative than it was with most southern whites having defected en masse to the GOP

I'd like to see the Democratic Party be the majority party again and it won't happen taking some Opebo line

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 12:41:09 PM »

I voted Bullmoose, after all, since he's pretty representative of more libertarian-minded Republicans

As for Opebo, no-one who wants to legalise paedophilia is mainstream

Dave
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 12:59:32 PM »

Except for the elitist liberal types who also cast down their poorly judged views on 'poors' and 'blacks' from their ivory towers. 

You should really stop with the "elitist liberal" crap. The majority of "elites" in this country vote Republican.

The Republicans are also the party of helping the wealthy at the expense of the middle class and poor.

But continue to spew the same lie if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 01:03:53 PM »

Actually, I was talking about the type of liberal that lost an election last year.  People like John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and I guess Opebo, are the type of people who are happy to preach about raising taxes to help the poor and such, or are happy to let their hearts bleed openly for the sake of the less fortunate, but at the same time aren't prepared to share a single dime of their massive wealth to the same people.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »

Actually, I was talking about the type of liberal that lost an election last year.  People like John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and I guess Opebo, are the type of people who are happy to preach about raising taxes to help the poor and such, or are happy to let their hearts bleed openly for the sake of the less fortunate, but at the same time aren't prepared to share a single dime of their massive wealth to the same people.

There are plenty of Republicans who don't share any of their wealth with the less fortunate either.

By the way, how do you know how much John Kerry and Ted Kennedy have given to charity? I don't believe that's public information.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »

Both Bullmoose and I are far superior to the typical member of our respective parties.

That said I think I fit better within the Democrats than he does within the Republicans.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 08:52:01 PM »

The Republicans are also the party of helping the wealthy at the expense of the middle class and poor.

Roll Eyes
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 09:18:10 PM »

I agree with him on the Shi'ites, they haven't exactly done a great job running Iran and there's no reason to think they'd do any better in Iraq. I don't support reinstating Saddam though, that's probably impossible at this point anyway. But his basic position if you boil it down to for or against is he's against. Most Democrats are.

That's a rather large stretch to suggest that the fact that he's against the war makes him with the mainstream of his party.  Does the mainstream support reinstating Saddam and keeping the Shi'ites down?  No, and he does; therefore, he is not in the mainstream.

I'd say a $15 minimum wage and a view that the "owning class" heavily oppresses the working class and should be punished is rather close to communism.  The Political Compass score says nothing.

Other social issues - pedophilia.  Need I say more?.

That's not really a social issue, since whether it should be legal is hardly ever discussed.

But in basics, opebo is pro-gay rights and supports church/state seperation. Most Democrats agree.

No, he supports fully demolishing all religion, which is, uh, kind of different.  It's not what he doesn't support that makes him very far from the Democratic mainstream; it's what he does support, and you seem to be completely ignoring the things that he supports.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 01:24:45 AM »

That's a rather large stretch to suggest that the fact that he's against the war makes him with the mainstream of his party.  Does the mainstream support reinstating Saddam and keeping the Shi'ites down?  No, and he does; therefore, he is not in the mainstream.

Oh, now, Gabu you conservative, I don't think the average american cares one bit about some Shiite, or in fact even has any idea what they are.  As for Saddam, the propagandists have demonized him, so naturally the simple proles have no idea that he was a prefectly decent standard secular dictator.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-3.88 is hardly a Marxist score.
[/quote]

I'd say a $15 minimum wage and a view that the "owning class" heavily oppresses the working class and should be punished is rather close to communism.  The Political Compass score says nothing.[/quote]

No, the policies suggested above are Keyensian liberalism.  Btw, I never said anything about 'punishing' the owning class, nor even about unseating them from their permanent position at the top of the social heirarchy.   I just talk about making them give a little of the social surplus to their underlings.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »

No, the policies suggested above are Keyensian liberalism.

No they aren't. Go back to school. Remember kiddies, Keynes was the guy with the moustache not the one with the white bushy beard...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 10:48:24 AM »

[sarcasm]
Opebo is typical of the vast majority of the Democratic party, caring only about how much pleasure they can get, favoring pedophilia, repressing all types of religion.  He shows the inbred decadence of the Democratic and his views are identical to every Democrat on the planet.

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, Bullmoose is far closer to the mainline GOP than Opebo is to mainline Democratic Party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 12:31:10 PM »

What the hell is going on here, when Opebo and Bullmoose are considered closely representative of their respective parties' mainstream?  It probably would have helped to pick two people who aren't derided by other forum members from their own party.  As I've already said, many Democrats would be offended to have Opebo carry the Democratic party's banner, and so many forum Republicans have called a Bullmoose a liberal RINO that I've lost count.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »

Bullmoose was a RINO back when he was constantly bashing Republicans. He's fine now.

Who called him a RINO recently?
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 02:07:02 PM »

Opebo, although Bullsmoose is fairly symbolic of the Republican party during the 50's.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 07:24:45 PM »

The Republican Party of the 1950s was pretty left-wing economically.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 11:00:29 PM »

Perhaps this sums it up best:

opebo voted for Kerry
bullmoose did not vote for Bush