Were slaves in the South justified in killing their owners?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:59:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Were slaves in the South justified in killing their owners?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: he South justified in killing their owners?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Were slaves in the South justified in killing their owners?  (Read 5270 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »

Nat Turner was one of our first domestic terrorists. He killed innocent children in his Virginia uprising.

Good!

The majority of slaves would have had no reason to kill their owners. Go back and read Storeboughts post. That's pretty much where I stand.

You are a fool.  But I suppose I could make use of you - drive up to Missouri and I'll chain you in the backyard, find something for you to do.

Why should many slaves have had reason to kill their owners? In exchange for their free labour, they received clothes, food and shelter, which in the context of the time was, arguably, somewhat preferable to surviving on a pittance and having to provide everything for themselves

I'd never in a million years condone slavery per se but at least the plantocracy, as a whole, were conciously aware of their moral obligations to care and provide for their slaves and did so. I'm not saying heinous acts of violence were not comitted against slaves but I'd say they were the exception rather than the norm

Good lord man, you are completely unrealistic. They were slaves, they were being held by force, in servitude.  Why would they care if it 'could have been worse?  The only self respecting thing to do in that circumstance is to kill your oppressor.

I'm sure you all would be singing a very different tune of the slaves were white.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2005, 04:55:40 PM »

Nat Turner was one of our first domestic terrorists. He killed innocent children in his Virginia uprising.

Good!

lol... that was actually pretty good
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »

Good!

I think opebo was trying at humor by saying that, but it sounded strange. Tongue

If you actually feel that the death of innocent children in a failed slave uprising is "good" then you should be examined for either insanity or worms.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »

Good!

I think opebo was trying at humor by saying that, but it sounded strange. Tongue

If you actually feel that the death of innocent children in a failed slave uprising is "good" then you should be examined for either insanity or worms.

These types of deaths are no different from the 'collateral damage' the the US inflicts on a rouine basis in its wars.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2005, 05:31:32 PM »

Let's use the common phrase: "Murder is bad".

If their masters tried to kill them though, then yes they were justified in defending themselves by killing their masters.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2005, 05:50:33 PM »

If it was the only way they could get free, or protect their immediate family, then yes, but just for the atrocity the slave-owners committed of having slaves in the first place, no.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies