17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 28214 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »

Now MSNBC is lamenting the lack of metal detectors in the schools. I've been to Coral Springs High, the neighboring school, when my brother briefly attended it. That school is a literal fortress. It was more strident than airport security. We went through a metal detector, we went through a checkpoint where my mom's purse was checked, and we had to sign in behind a very thick glass window (bulletproof?). There is nothing more we can do, besides banning guns (which I've argued won't work a billion times now in the seven years here), that would stop this.

Face it, people are somehow getting crazier.

SCHOOLS
SHOULDN'T
HAVE
TO
BE
BUILT
FORTRESSES
BECAUSE
OF
GUNS

I know, especially because guns aren't even the problem. What's gonna happen in the 2030s when guns are outlawed and people are falling victim to Chinese style knife sprees and refugee car attacks?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »

News saying the suspect is being taken to a hospital
I say take him to congress and let him go.

How f**ked up is it that I have to think twice about saying that while the same people that make me reticent to say such a thing also make sure the motherf**ker in Florida has a gun.
Allow me to be the angry one here. After all, this is my younger district's school district here. Take a chill pill. This problem is like cancer. It doesn't go away overnight.

In 1976, my mom was eleven and my dad was twenty two. Both of them cannot recall a major shooting like this before or for decades after 1976. In 1976, my dad bought a Saturday Night Special and went around with his buddies shooting out street lights and in general f**king stuff up like young people are want to do. He bought the gun in cash legally, no questions asked, and had himself a good time with it.

Well, until one of his best friends randomly blew his head with his own pistol right off in front of them. They were buying weed from some guy, at least. They still don't know what happened there exactly. Guns kill, no doubt. But would the lack of that gun kept that guy from doing what he did eventually? If it was intentional, at least.

Now MSNBC is lamenting the lack of metal detectors in the schools. I've been to Coral Springs High, the neighboring school, when my brother briefly attended it. That school is a literal fortress. It was more strident than airport security. We went through a metal detector, we went through a checkpoint where my mom's purse was checked, and we had to sign in behind a very thick glass window (bulletproof?). There is nothing more we can do, besides banning guns (which I've argued won't work a billion times now in the seven years here), that would stop this.

Face it, people are somehow getting crazier.

"Me, me, me, me".
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 05:16:06 PM by Devout Centrist »

Let's all be honest for a second: nothing will change in the short term. Bad faith sh*theads will quickly cry crocodile tears for the dead, all the while insisting that guns are not the problem.

A lot of people in this country have determined that this is the cost of doing business. The only way to reverse this is to show up in 2018 and 2020.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »

Let's all be honest for a second: nothing will change in the short term. Bad faith sh*theads will quickly cry crocodile tears for the dead, all the while insisting that guns are not the problem.

A lot of people in this country have determined that this is the cost of doing business. The only way to reverse this is to show up in 2018 and 2020.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »

Thoughts and prayers for the victims. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
It's terrible how "normal" these shootings have become. We're being desensitized.

I think it's more the opposite. Although every single one of these makes me both anguished and furious over how easily we could massively reduce such tragedies just by implementing sane requirements on firearms ownership, school shootings (and mass shootings genereally) are a far down the list of preventable things that kill Americans.

Rather, I'd like  to see our society become rational about statistics and probability. I'd also like to see us reject, in the strongest way possible, the media who hype these sorts of crimes for ratings. They're effectively accessories to mass murder, and both corporations and journalists promoting these horrors should be prosecuted as such.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »

This is the prime reason why the NRA should be declared a terrorist organization.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »

This is the prime reason why the NRA should be declared a terrorist organization.

lol
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »

7 dead. Why lord. Why.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »

Repeal the 2nd amendment.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
It's terrible how "normal" these shootings have become. We're being desensitized.

I think it's more the opposite. Although every single one of these makes me both anguished and furious over how easily we could massively reduce such tragedies just by implementing sane requirements on firearms ownership, school shootings (and mass shootings genereally) are a far down the list of preventable things that kill Americans.

Rather, I'd like  to see our society become rational about statistics and probability. I'd also like to see us reject, in the strongest way possible, the media who hype these sorts of crimes for ratings. They're effectively accessories to mass murder, and both corporations and journalists promoting these horrors should be prosecuted as such.

America isn't about rationality, statistics, or probability... it is about belief, ideology, and loyalty.

It's time for an era of rationality, statistics, probabilities, and simple realpolitik.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »

Death toll now at 15
Joey1996

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »

FBI ranked Parkland the safest city in America in 2016... Can happen anywhere
Joey1996

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »

Source? The highest I've seen is 7, lowest is 2.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 06:06:06 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/15-dead-horrific-florida-school-shooting-suspect-custody/story?id=53087462
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

I am for banning all guns besides law enforcement and military, but this statement is still ridiculous.

I could barely keep it together when I saw the clips from inside the school. That could have been mine. Believe it or not, I am a human with emotions (and a strongly anti-gun one) behind the screen and not a cyborg. I do send my thoughts and prayers, but that is not enough on its own. America can do better, come on!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »

Sigh. Again, another school shooting. Thoughts and prayers don't go far enough. Taking away people's rights under the Constitution goes too far. It's time to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room -- namely, mental illness.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »

America’s favourite national coffee pastime
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »

Stop whining liberal snowflakes.
The death of 16 young people is regrettable but overall a good bargain for the right of freedom-loving Americans to bear arms and resist the tyranny of Big Gubmint.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »

Sigh. Again, another school shooting. Thoughts and prayers don't go far enough. Taking away people's rights under the Constitution goes too far. It's time to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room -- namely, mental illness.
No. That's not the issue at hand and using it as a goddamn cop out is feckless.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »

Apparently this bullsh**t is becoming a hobby in America. Surprise. In the “Greatest Country on Earth” school shootings are becoming a way of life. F**k the NRA, f**k Donald Trump, and f**k the Republican Party.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »

No. That's not the issue at hand and using it as a goddamn cop out is feckless.

Mental problems are a giant issue, there are two 800 pound gorillas in the room.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »

People with mental health problems are less likely to hurt people than those without. The way you say "mental illness" as if its synonymous with "murderous crazy people" is kind of f**ed up. Mental health being neglected is a huge problem, but school shootings aren't why.
Joey1996

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »

Trump will tell us not to politicize this tragedy, but had this been an Islamist terrorist attack or a shooting by an undocumented immigrant he'd be pushing a Muslim ban and defunding DACA on Twitter as we type.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies