Does Indiana have an underlying democraticate trend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:41:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Does Indiana have an underlying democraticate trend
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Indiana have an underlying democraticate trend  (Read 1023 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »

Obama won the State in 08. He lost Missouri by about 4000 votes,eventhough he was Illinois.Indiana swung hard right this last,in part because of Pence. Maybe the victory was a fluke.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »

I wouldn’t say so. The Indianapolis area (Hamilton and Marion County in particular) is the only part of the state trending Democratic. I’d say it’s fairly elastic overall.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »

I wouldn’t say so. The Indianapolis area (Hamilton and Marion County in particular) is the only part of the state trending Democratic. I’d say it’s fairly elastic overall.

And it still voted overwhelmingly for Trump.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 03:38:44 PM by MT Treasurer »

So...? These statements aren’t mutually exclusive. The area swung and trended fairly strongly Democratic in the gubernatorial and Senate race as well, and this trend will almost certainly continue this year when Donnelly is on the ballot.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »

So...? These statements aren’t mutually exclusive. The area swung and trended fairly strongly Democratic in the gubernatorial and Senate race as well, and this trend will almost certainly continue this year when Donnelly is on the ballot.

Yes, yes, I know you are QUITE in favor of this projection, haha.  Anyway, to answer your "so...?" comment, I was saying that Indiana is not likely to trend Democratic at all, as even the most "Democratic trending areas of the state" are never going to have trends anywhere close to those of NOVA or somewhere like that and they are still reliably Republican.  There aren't enough Democratic votes in Indiana, period.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »

Yes, yes, I know you are QUITE in favor of this projection, haha.  Anyway, to answer your "so...?" comment, I was saying that Indiana is not likely to trend Democratic at all, as even the most "Democratic trending areas of the state" are never going to have trends anywhere close to those of NOVA or somewhere like that and they are still reliably Republican.  There aren't enough Democratic votes in Indiana, period.

This isn’t about what I want to happen, it’s just that all the evidence so far points to these trends continuing over the next years. You’re right in noting that the Indianapolis suburbs or the WOW counties are still fairly Republican and definitely more likely to trend back to the GOP than places like GA-06 or NoVA, which also happen to have more and more unfavorable demographics for Republicans.

Indiana is a nice state, btw! Smiley
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:44:10 PM »

What is a democraticate trend?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:50:24 PM »

In the foreseeable future I think IN will only be within reach for the Democrats if they are on track to achieve a national margin similar to that of 1992, 1996, or 2008.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »

No, its trended Republican since 2000. 
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »

It also voted overwhelmingly for Bush then four years later turned around to vote for Obama.

For what it's worth, I don't think Indiana will become a blue or swing state anytime soon. But the state has enough independent voters who vote blue on the state/congressional/local level to keep it competitive for at least the near future. We've had competitive gubernatorial and senate elections basically continuously since 2010.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »

Obama won the State in 08. He lost Missouri by about 4000 votes,eventhough he was Illinois.

I can't believe Obama won in 2008, even though he was literally the state of Illinois.
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »

Nothing more than a tendency known as 'reversion to the mean'.

Indiana is good for some wild swings.  1964, and 2008 those swings make it much less Republican than usual. Look at 1948: Truman came close to winning it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies