Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:12:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37
Author Topic: Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!  (Read 81575 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: August 14, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »

He should have asked for a recount.  Oh well.

The same KS SOS would be in charge of the recount. Colyer said in his concession speech that it would take extraordinary measures (meaning court challenges) to potentially change the outcome. Conservative justices might be split on the issue anyway since it's between 2 Republicans.
Didn't Kobach discount the unaffiliated ballots?  I'd consider that cheating by Kobach.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #676 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »

Sad
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #677 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »

BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #678 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Unofficial provisional numbers from JoCo:
Colyer: 300
Kobach: 325

Tmth Projection: Kris Kobach is the GOP nominee for Kansas Governor.

Praise Jesus!

For purposes of retaining my sanity I am assuming you were being humorous. If you meant it, I don't want to know.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #679 on: August 14, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »

I'm very disappointed that Colyer has conceded but I think it was the right decision. Even with a recount and court challenges, overcoming this deficit would be highly unlikely. It is time for KS GOP to unite and focus on winning in November.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #680 on: August 14, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #681 on: August 14, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »

I have a feeling that if the situations were reversed, Kobach would not be as quick to concede.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #682 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »

Why is Orman still running again?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #683 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »

I have a feeling that if the situations were reversed, Kobach would not be as quick to concede.
Agreed. Classy move by Colyer, he's a great guy.

He's going to start flooding the airwaves for the next few weeks, if he can pull his numbers up a little bit before Labor Day, he could have a serious shot at winning.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #684 on: August 14, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Unofficial provisional numbers from JoCo:
Colyer: 300
Kobach: 325

Tmth Projection: Kris Kobach is the GOP nominee for Kansas Governor.

Praise Jesus!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #685 on: August 14, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2018, 01:16:39 AM by smoltchanov »

Well, November 6th will be..... interesting in Kansas. I still don't want governor Kobach for Kansas people nevertheless...

P.S. Now is the time for me to "change colors" somewhat. I rooted for moderate republicans in primary, and will continue to do so in the races (like COI and some state House), where such candidates managed to win primary, but in all other - i am all out for Democrats. Kelly, Davis, and so on))). Game continues....
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #686 on: August 15, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #687 on: August 15, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »

^ If one of two drops now - may be not, Kobach being .... Kobach. But if one drops, say, in October - probably yes...
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #688 on: August 15, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »

Doesnt Larry Sabato relived that the Democrats won the Kansas GOV races in 2006 and 2002?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #689 on: August 15, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »

Larry also seems to forget that Brownback only won by 4 points in 2014. He would've lost even in a neutral year, much less a Dem wave.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #690 on: August 15, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »

Larry also seems to forget that Brownback only won by 4 points in 2014. He would've lost even in a neutral year, much less a Dem wave.

You still need a wave. Not now, but - in November. And, in 2014 there wasn't a potentially strong 3rd party centrist candidate, only libertarian, who mostly took votes from Republicans.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #691 on: August 15, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »

Larry the Expert also had MN-Gov as a tossup because of Pawlenty or something so there’s that

LOL, Loony Larry strikes again.

I still think Kobach will narrowly win because of Orman, but "muh Kobach will be favored even without Orman because Kansas is a red state" is the hottest of takes.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #692 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »

Larry the Expert also had MN-Gov as a tossup because of Pawlenty or something so there’s that

LOL, Loony Larry strikes again.

I still think Kobach will narrowly win because of Orman, but "muh Kobach will be favored even without Orman because Kansas is a red state" is the hottest of takes.

IMHO - without Orman Kelly could even be slightly favored, but with him - alas...
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #693 on: August 16, 2018, 12:25:43 AM »

I think there’s a non-minuscule chance that Orman has the opposite effect on the race than many expect. One can’t oversell how contentious the primary was, especially with the provisionals, and Kobach is the most unpopular statewide elected officials. I could see many moderate (in tone and substance) republicans supporting Orman before they could stomach supporting a democrat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #694 on: August 16, 2018, 03:52:58 AM »

I think there’s a non-minuscule chance that Orman has the opposite effect on the race than many expect. One can’t oversell how contentious the primary was, especially with the provisionals, and Kobach is the most unpopular statewide elected officials. I could see many moderate (in tone and substance) republicans supporting Orman before they could stomach supporting a democrat.

Quite possible. The problem, as i see it, is, that Kelly needs moderate Republican vote too. Democratic candidate in Kansas usually can't win on Democratic votes ONLY. It's good, that moderate Republican and Indie vote will not go to Kobach, but if it will NOT go to Kelly - i can't predict the final result..
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #695 on: August 16, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »

I agree. Indeed, I actually EXPECT Orman to take more from Rs.

I know he was the de facto Dem in 2014 KS-Sen, but I think Dems are going to be more likely to stick with their nominee against Kobach than they were going to against Roberts.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #696 on: August 17, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »

First District Democratic candidate Alan LaPolice just took a flamethrower to Rep. Marshall's corporate contributions. Pretty good ad if you ask me!! He's raised a decent amount of money, but this district is pretty much impossible for a Democrat to win in. Props to LaPolice for fighting hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPXIo3fYRKA&feature=youtu.be
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2018, 02:21:22 AM »

First District Democratic candidate Alan LaPolice just took a flamethrower to Rep. Marshall's corporate contributions. Pretty good ad if you ask me!! He's raised a decent amount of money, but this district is pretty much impossible for a Democrat to win in. Props to LaPolice for fighting hard.

LaPolice seems like a bizarrely good candidate to me, not to mention he somehow managed to pull in over a hundred thousand dollars last quarter. And in such a red district, too! It's a shame his district is so tough but this district is worth keeping an eye on, it just screams "sleeper race" and I could see it being surprisingly close. Obviously his chances of actually winning are near zero but at least he's going to make Marshall put a bit of effort into the race.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:13 AM »

LaPolice seems like a bizarrely good candidate to me, not to mention he somehow managed to pull in over a hundred thousand dollars last quarter. And in such a red district, too! It's a shame his district is so tough but this district is worth keeping an eye on, it just screams "sleeper race" and I could see it being surprisingly close. Obviously his chances of actually winning are near zero but at least he's going to make Marshall put a bit of effort into the race.

He's definitely intriguing. Gulf War Veteran who is a farmer, school superintendent, and actor. He got attacked for being in a movie about college students questioning their sexuality, but he nearly defeated Huelskamp in the 2014 GOP primary.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #699 on: August 18, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies