Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:23:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Author Topic: Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!  (Read 79989 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »

^^^Agreed with Saint. Barnett is largely a non-factor, he will probably end up somewhere between 5-10%. Selzer has a decent base in Johnson County so will probably hit double-digits, but neither has gained much traction and based on fundraising numbers, I doubt they will make up ground in the remaining three weeks.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »

^ Thanks!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »

Moderate to liberal Johnson County Republican Senator Barbara Bollier endorsed Democrats Tom Niermann (KS-03) and Laura Kelly (Gov) this week, earning her a sharp rebuke from Senator President Susan Wagle and a demotion from her committee leadership position.

Now, unsurprisingly, Bollier is considering switching parties. Her district gave Hillary Clinton 62% of the vote and is one of Kansas' most affluent ones. She isn't up for re-election until 2020. Bollier is one of the biggest advocates in the Senate for Medicaid expansion, gun control, and public education. She is also pro-choice and pro-LGBT and would fit in well with the Senate Democratic Caucus.

http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180718/republican-state-sen-barbara-bollier-considers-leaving-party-faces-retribution-for-supporting-democrats
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »

Moderate to liberal Johnson County Republican Senator Barbara Bollier endorsed Democrats Tom Niermann (KS-03) and Laura Kelly (Gov) this week, earning her a sharp rebuke from Senator President Susan Wagle and a demotion from her committee leadership position.

Now, unsurprisingly, Bollier is considering switching parties. Her district gave Hillary Clinton 62% of the vote and is one of Kansas' most affluent ones. She isn't up for re-election until 2020. Bollier is one of the biggest advocates in the Senate for Medicaid expansion, gun control, and public education. She is also pro-choice and pro-LGBT and would fit in well with the Senate Democratic Caucus.

http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180718/republican-state-sen-barbara-bollier-considers-leaving-party-faces-retribution-for-supporting-democrats
Interesting. Whats keeping her with the GOP? My guess is its a Hawaii situation, where most are in the same party, since you cant have any power if your in the minority.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »

Interesting. Whats keeping her with the GOP? My guess is its a Hawaii situation, where most are in the same party, since you cant have any power if your in the minority.

Democrats don't have an awful lot of power, but working with moderates like Senator Bollier, they've been able to get some things done. I think she stays because there is a decently sized faction of moderate Republicans who stand up to the right wing of their party, so she's not quite alone. She, Melissa Rooker, and Stephanie Clayton are the big three moderates who come to mind from Johnson County. And then there are others like Carolyn McGinn in the Senate, who gets labor, environmental, and education endorsements. McGinn and most of the moderates outside of JoCo are more right-leaning, but they still tend to vote like a bloc on some issues.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:10 PM »

Not surprizing. But, IIRV, there are at least 5-7 other moderate Republican state senators with comparable voting record, but from more Trumpish districts (Skubal, Sykes, and so on). It's interesting to observe their reaction and behavoir. Doll already became Indie, for example... Taylor somehow manages to be a moderate in 82% Trump district. We shall see...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »

FYI - the deadline to register to vote was this past Tuesday (7/17).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2018, 08:45:13 AM by smoltchanov »

Guys (and gals) - i repeat here my question from another thread: what's so "criminal" in politician supporting candidate of other party for office? In 1972 literally thousands Democratic officeholders refused to support George McGovern for President, and majority of them happily supported Nixon. No repressions followed. Many Southern Democrats supported Bush in 2000 and 2004. Again - essentially the same. And so on. If you call themselves "parties of big tent" - you must behave normally when someone from your "tent" demonstrates maverick inclinations. Otherwise - where is this "tent"Huh? You have 2 boring armies of "loyal soldiers", and nothing more.... Normal "Bolshevick's parties" we know so well in Russia...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »

The times have changed, party's are more partisan. I think this race is more personal - Kevin Yoder is in the same state as Bollier, the same district. He has a close working relationship with many in the legislature as he used to be in there, so people take it more personally when she goes against the party and backs his opponent.

Bollier has been extremely critical of GOP officials for years and votes to the left of even some Democrats in the Senate. It continues to baffle me why she is still a Republican, hopefully after this stunt she decides to finally be honest with the voters and become a Democrat. I'm supportive of moderate politicians (Sykes, Cox, Finch, etc.) and conservative politicians - she is neither.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »

This race can be won by Dems
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »

The times have changed, party's are more partisan. I think this race is more personal - Kevin Yoder is in the same state as Bollier, the same district. He has a close working relationship with many in the legislature as he used to be in there, so people take it more personally when she goes against the party and backs his opponent.

Bollier has been extremely critical of GOP officials for years and votes to the left of even some Democrats in the Senate. It continues to baffle me why she is still a Republican, hopefully after this stunt she decides to finally be honest with the voters and become a Democrat. I'm supportive of moderate politicians (Sykes, Cox, Finch, etc.) and conservative politicians - she is neither.

Thanks for explanation! Quite possible. But i remember even more liberal Republican state Senators (like David Wysong, who, it seems to me, was elected from the same district quite recently) - and their "apostasies" were still tolerated. Clayton, Rooker, Gallagher (in state House) - all vote approximately the same way Bollier does. And they are unopposed this year in primary So, i think an element of "personal vendetta" still exist in this case. Though in Bollier's case it would, probably, be even easier for her to get reelected as Democrat (in 61.5% Clinton district). Her former seat in state House went Democratic in 2016 despite all attempts by Republicans to save it (even running moderate candidate themselves).
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article215375450.html

Remington:

Kelly-36%, Kobach-35%, Orman-12%

Colyer-38%, Kelly 28%, Orman-10%
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »

Wow, thats a large difference. Well, hope Kobach is the R. Also, why, why are you here Orman? Go away. Please. Go away.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »

Wish we got some crosstabs to see who orman is taking away from the most. Also why only poll Kelly? What about Svaty?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2018, 06:30:48 PM »

Trump was dissuaded from endorsing Kobach last spring, and his aides keep urging him not to, but he still might anyways.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »

Also in that article for the GOP primary (Kobach internal)
Kobach 37
Colyer 26

700 people and an MoE of 3.7%, so it seems legit for an internal.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »

Of course he will, because loyalty or whatever.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »

On the bright side, this is probably the peak time for Orman to be polling. On the downside, Svaty doesn’t look likely to get the nomination

He should run for Senate in 2020 when Pat Roberts likely retires if he loses the primary.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2018, 03:45:01 AM »

IIRC - Kelly represents 57% Trump district, and, at the same time, has strongly liberal reputation. The first factor (an ability to win such district) is a plus, the second - probably, a minus, especially against "slightly more sane" Colyer.  May be - moderate liberal would be better in such case?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »

COME ON GREG ORMAN
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »

On the bright side, this is probably the peak time for Orman to be polling. On the downside, Svaty doesn’t look likely to get the nomination

He should run for Senate in 2020 when Pat Roberts likely retires if he loses the primary.

Nah, even in an open seat race that’d just be a suicide run. The only realistic way I could see a Democrat winning a Senate seat in Kansas is if a popular Democratic Governor was able to win on personal popularity. Think back to those hypothetical polls showing Kathleen Sebelius up by double digits for the open senate race in 2010 before she was tapped for HHS.

Svaty is young enough to serve as Governor, and if he were to succeed there, make a Senate run. Kelly is way too old.

I'm not a big fan of Laura Kelly but I disagree that she's "too old".

IIRC - Kelly represents 57% Trump district, and, at the same time, has strongly liberal reputation. The first factor (an ability to win such district) is a plus, the second - probably, a minus, especially against "slightly more sane" Colyer.  May be - moderate liberal would be better in such case?

Laura Kelly's really not that liberal. She had an NRA A+ rating, voted to ban the governor from expanding Medicaid, and voted for Kobach's voter ID. Arguably, the most liberal candidate (aside from the teenager) in the race right now is Josh Svaty.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »

Nah, even in an open seat race that’d just be a suicide run. The only realistic way I could see a Democrat winning a Senate seat in Kansas is if a popular Democratic Governor was able to win on personal popularity. Think back to those hypothetical polls showing Kathleen Sebelius up by double digits for the open senate race in 2010 before she was tapped for HHS.

Svaty is young enough to serve as Governor, and if he were to succeed there, make a Senate run. Kelly is way too old.

Laura Kelly's really not that liberal. She had an NRA A+ rating, voted to ban the governor from expanding Medicaid, and voted for Kobach's voter ID. Arguably, the most liberal candidate (aside from the teenager) in the race right now is Josh Svaty.

And she’s the front runner for the Democrats??? How?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

She's Kathleen Sebelius' neighbor and Sebelius has beef with Svaty. She pushed Kelly into the race and Kelly's fundraising is almost all from Sebelius' network. Heck, even at Washington Days this year (convention in late February), while all the candidates were working tables at the banquet, Laura Kelly was sitting around while Sebelius worked the tables for her.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2018, 12:33:15 PM by smoltchanov »

IIRC - Kelly represents 57% Trump district, and, at the same time, has strongly liberal reputation. The first factor (an ability to win such district) is a plus, the second - probably, a minus, especially against "slightly more sane" Colyer.  May be - moderate liberal would be better in such case?

Kansas is NOT especially liberal state. That's true for Democrats too to some extent..

2 VPH Thanks! I based my estimate on ACU and Kansas Policy Institute ratings, but every organization's rating is inherently subjective)))))
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

IIRC - Kelly represents 57% Trump district, and, at the same time, has strongly liberal reputation. The first factor (an ability to win such district) is a plus, the second - probably, a minus, especially against "slightly more sane" Colyer.  May be - moderate liberal would be better in such case?

Kansas is NOT especially liberal state. That's true for Democrats too to some extent..

2 VPH Thanks!

That doesn't make it okay to support Voter ID's or be against expanding medicaid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies