Fair redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:54:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Fair redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Fair redistricting: New York  (Read 26470 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »

the md vote?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »

sadly we have not acquired the votes yet
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »

WV does not chop counties for CDs and won a major SCOTUS decision this decade related to that. In Tennant v Jefferson County the court allowed them to keep counties intact while having a population range of nearly 1%. WV was able to show that was the smallest population range that met their state goals. Most states, particularly those that chop counties must have exact population equality.

Of course chops are permitted here, and whole county plans with smaller deviations are possible, too. There are three UCCs in WV: Huntington (Cabell, Putnam), Wheeling (Ohio, Marshall), and Weirton (Hancock, Brooke). The Wheeling and Weirton UCCs make up the northern four counties of WV, so it would be a strange plan that would chop them. Huntington is generally the only one to watch.

Here is the map of regional connections in WV.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2018, 11:39:47 AM by muon2 »

Veteran poster Lewis Trondheim came up with this plan in July, 2011! I still think it's one of the best I've seen with whole counties. Since Lewis no longer posts here, I'm going to submit it for him. There are no chopped counties. No UCCs are chopped either, even though we hadn't defined those until 2013.

CD 1: (+277) R+19
CD 2: (+2) R+17
CD 3: (-280) R+22

There are whole county plans with lower inequality, but the erosity is higher.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »

Veteran poster Lewis Trondheim came up with this plan in July, 2011! I still think it's one of the best I've seen with whole counties. Since Lewis no longer posts here, I'm going to submit it for him. There are no chopped counties. No UCCs are chopped either, even though we hadn't defined those until 2013.

CD 1: (+277)
CD 2: (+2)
CD 3: (-280)

That purple district looks very ugly.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »

1: R+17.21
2: R+23.45
3: R+17.81

Note: the area in the north outside the view of the screenshot is in District 1.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2018, 10:57:59 AM by Torie »

Look at Muon2's road network map of WV. One of those counties on the Virginia line does not have road connections to the countyto the west, so that gets the erosity score down. The long narrow shape can be "defended" based on geographic barriers up to a point. That aside, in the Muon2 scoring system, having long shaped districts along a state border is not punished the way it would be if that shape were in the middle of the state (which would generate a lot of road cuts).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »

Look at Muon2's road network map of WV. One of those counties on the Virginia line does not have road connections to the county to the west, so that gets the erosity score down. The long narrow shape can be "defended" based on geographic barriers up to a point. That aside, in the Muon2 scoring system, having long shaped districts along a state border is not punished the way it would be if that shape were in the middle of the state (which would generate a lot of road cuts).
I'd argue the fact that that is such a horrible group of interest (suburbanite types, S WV miners), it should be overrided
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »

Look at Muon2's road network map of WV. One of those counties on the Virginia line does not have road connections to the county to the west, so that gets the erosity score down. The long narrow shape can be "defended" based on geographic barriers up to a point. That aside, in the Muon2 scoring system, having long shaped districts along a state border is not punished the way it would be if that shape were in the middle of the state (which would generate a lot of road cuts).
I'd argue the fact that that is such a horrible group of interest (suburbanite types, S WV miners), it should be overrided

The eastern panhandle is not a particularly good fit for any other area. They initiated the suit against WV because they didn't like being in the same district as the state's largest metro - Charleston, even though it probably has as many suburban, government-worker types in the capital area as any other part of the state.

The far southeastern counties don't have coal mining either, so this plan links together the entire eastern edge as the only area that doesn't have coal underfoot.

The actual coal mines are in the northern and southern extremes of the state. So the eastern panhandle either gets the southern mines, the northern mines, or the capital in its CD.

Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »

WV does not chop counties for CDs and won a major SCOTUS decision this decade related to that. In Tennant v Jefferson County the court allowed them to keep counties intact while having a population range of nearly 1%. WV was able to show that was the smallest population range that met their state goals. Most states, particularly those that chop counties must have exact population equality.

Of course chops are permitted here, and whole county plans with smaller deviations are possible, too. There are three UCCs in WV: Huntington (Cabell, Putnam), Wheeling (Ohio, Marshall), and Weirton (Hancock, Brooke). The Wheeling and Weirton UCCs make up the northern four counties of WV, so it would be a strange plan that would chop them. Huntington is generally the only one to watch.

Why? These Counties have only a very small border with each-other, and both of them have substantially larger borders with other Counties than with each-other. It would be as if Iowa and South Dakota were put in the same region of the country for something, but Minnesota and Nebraska were in different regions.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »

Why? These Counties have only a very small border with each-other, and both of them have substantially larger borders with other Counties than with each-other. It would be as if Iowa and South Dakota were put in the same region of the country for something, but Minnesota and Nebraska were in different regions.

Travel patterns between counties is one indication of a community of interest. When the length of the border is a mountain ridge with no significant roads, then I don't think long is better. When a narrow connection is a river valley with the main road, then short is just fine. I drove on some of those roads in eastern WV last summer and many of them are cutoff from both sides in their valleys.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »

So here's a muon2 plan B to keep you all happy. I think it's hard to argue with the CD 2 in my plan A. The Charleston-Huntington-Parkersburg triangle is the industrial core of the state and generally lacks coal mines (see the map in my earlier post). The CD 2 in muon2 A keeps that all together in whole counties, is compact, and has a deviation of only 2 from the quota. It seems ideal.

If the eastern panhandle doesn't link to the south, and CD 2 is set, then the alternative is to link it to the northern panhandle. That's what this plan does. I can't take full credit, since it appeared as one of the plaintiff's maps in the aforementioned SCOTUS case (Cooper 3). It still has whole counties and lower inequality than my plan A, but it also creates some issues as there is too much population in the north central part of the state, so Clarksburg is connected along the US 19 corridor to Beckley and the southern counties.

CD 1: (+113) R+18
CD 3: (-116) R+23
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

According to ballotpedia, Herb Snyder, while he was a member of the legislature tried to have 6 additional Counties moved between Congressional Districts in the 2010 Redistricting that had been kept in the same District in the final plan, but his plan was voted down by the legislature. Ballotpedia gave no details on which Counties he tried to move, however. Does anyone here know the details of what he tried to do?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »

WV-01: R+19
WV-02: R+21
WV-03: R+18

This appears to violate the population deviation rule of 0.5% per district or 1% total range. For WV that is 3088 per district or 6176 total range.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »

This appears to violate the population deviation rule of 0.5% per district or 1% total range. For WV that is 3088 per district or 6176 total range.
According to Wikipedia, in 2010 WV-01 had a population of 616,000, WV-02 648,000, and WV-03 616,000 – would that not violate the deviation rule as well?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »

According to Wikipedia, in 2010 WV-01 had a population of 616,000, WV-02 648,000, and WV-03 616,000 – would that not violate the deviation rule as well?

I think the source you cite was confusing the 2010 populations before and after redistricting.

When the 2010 census numbers came out the populations were
WV 1: 615,991
WV 2: 648,186
WV 3: 588,817

The legislature moved only Mason county from WV 2 to WV 3 resulting in these populations
WV 1: 615,991
WV 2: 620,862
WV 3: 616,141

The range for these new districts was 0.79% and was upheld. Your source seems to have mixed up WV 2 from before the 2011 remap and listed it with WV 3 after the remap.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »

So here's a muon2 plan B to keep you all happy. I think it's hard to argue with the CD 2 in my plan A. The Charleston-Huntington-Parkersburg triangle is the industrial core of the state and generally lacks coal mines (see the map in my earlier post). The CD 2 in muon2 A keeps that all together in whole counties, is compact, and has a deviation of only 2 from the quota. It seems ideal.

If the eastern panhandle doesn't link to the south, and CD 2 is set, then the alternative is to link it to the northern panhandle. That's what this plan does. I can't take full credit, since it appeared as one of the plaintiff's maps in the aforementioned SCOTUS case (Cooper 3). It still has whole counties and lower inequality than my plan A, but it also creates some issues as there is too much population in the north central part of the state, so Clarksburg is connected along the US 19 corridor to Beckley and the southern counties.

As for CD 2 there's still plenty of coal mining in Kanawha and Boone counties.  Also, coal is pretty labor intensive and there is considerable infrastructure (prep plants, rail and water transportation terminals, and actual coal power plants that employ a substantial number of people in the 2nd.  On top of that, what white collar jobs (lawyers, accountants,executives) exist in WV to support the coal industry are concentrated in the 2nd, and even the chemical spill that shut down Charleston's water system a couple of years back was related to coal, so in reality, the 2nd is heavily dependent on coal too. 

Having said that, I like the compactness of the district and I believe compact districts should exist when they can, even if it means rural districts have to stretch further.

As for the Eastern panhandle it really has nothing on common with the rest of the state--Jefferson has gov't workers,  Berkeley is more of distribution center along I-81 than like Jefferson.  I'd lean more towards NC WV having more in common with the East panhandle than Charleston.  The Universities, Mylan,  the  FBI complex in Clarksburg and even the huge federal prison in Preston Co all seem a better fit than Charleston even if it does have the state government.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2018, 08:45:34 PM »

I tried to keep the coal areas together
1: R+21
2: R+20
3: R+18
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »

My MD preferences and comments:

MD:
ASV>muon2-A>torie-B>jimirtex>politicalmasta>>>cvparty>>>>muon2-B>singletxguyforfun>torie-A>solid

I gave low ratings to all maps which linked the Eastern shore anywhere other than Harford county, as they are extreme and disgusting gerrymanders. Water connections are impermissible, plain and simple. I gave ASV's map the edge as I like his chop of Howard, which seems sensitive to CoI and commuting patterns.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »

1. R+19 (+2940)
2. R+22 (+74)
3. R+18 (-3015)
cvparty
United States

« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »

WEST VIRGINIA ENTRIES

CD 1: (+277) R+19
CD 3: (-280) R+22

1: R+17.21
2: R+23.45
3: R+17.81

Note: the area in the north outside the view of the screenshot is in District 1.

I tried to keep the coal areas together
1: R+21
2: R+20
3: R+18

1. R+19 (+2940)
2. R+22 (+74)
3. R+18 (-3015)
cvparty
United States

« Reply #296 on: April 13, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »

make sure you select "2010 voting districts" for accurate PA PVIs
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2018, 01:41:04 AM »

when the hell is the MD vote?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2018, 12:49:14 PM by Torie »

This map has no subunit chops or UCC pack or cover penalties, the minimum number of macro-chops, and 11 county chops (Montco (2), Philly (2), Lancaster, Chester, Carbon, Huntingdon, Allegheny, Clarion and Westmorland). At the risk of increasing the erosity score, I drew my PA-04 to reduce the Pub PVI (I got it down about 3-4 points from what I had it before), so that is a competitive r CD. There are 8 safe R CD’s, 1 competitive r CD, 5 safe D CD’s, and 4 swing CD’s, for a Pub skew of 2 [(9-5)/ 2) = 2].

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #299 on: April 16, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

can i submit the current map as my map?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies