The Blockchain is Coming Into Its Own
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:06:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  The Blockchain is Coming Into Its Own
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Blockchain is Coming Into Its Own  (Read 733 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »

Is Blockchain the Swiss Army Knife to All of Our Cyber-Insecurities?

By Jay Stanley on February 5, 2018

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And Cook County in Illinois has been experimenting with using the blockchain for keeping track of property titles -for the developing world that can make land reform (a big issue there) a much more efficient and transparent process.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »

And what happens when a blockchain key is lost by its owner?  Not only that, but for a number of the functions they do, title records need to be fully publicly accessible. It's not sufficient to know that user h74fg8g334g owns a parcel of land. Furthermore, blockchain is inherently inefficient because of its distributed model.  It's why there's an inherent limit on how much Bitcoin can be used.  As described by the link given in the OP, blockchain might be used as means of helping to verify a real estate transaction that is in progress, but I can't see it being used as the permanent record, nor do I see any reason to think blockchain would be superior to other PKI technologies for the purpose stated there.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »

While you are right about the blockchain's shortcomings, do bear in mind that the personal computer and the internet in their early days were also flawed.  Yet, technological progress over time corrected many of those shortcomings.  I see no reason why the blockchain should not also go through the same process as its predecessors. 
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »

The one thing the blockchain is good for is buying drugs on the internet (which I appreciate); otherwise, the technology is a solution in search of a problem.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »

While you are right about the blockchain's shortcomings, do bear in mind that the personal computer and the internet in their early days were also flawed.  Yet, technological progress over time corrected many of those shortcomings.  I see no reason why the blockchain should not also go through the same process as its predecessors. 

Perhaps because there have been thousands of tech buzzwords over the decades and few of those lived up to their buzz?  Blockchain is the current buzzword and right now it's more of a problem than a solution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies