Why aren't federal judges combating states which pass anti-BDS legislation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:29:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why aren't federal judges combating states which pass anti-BDS legislation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why aren't federal judges combating states which pass anti-BDS legislation?  (Read 2273 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »

BDS is a anti-semitic hate group. This is unambiguous. Its goals are to criminalize trade with and travel to Israel (as we saw in Ireland, which BDS supported), to intimidate and harass artists who don't obey the imposed boycott (as we see with Roger Waters' campaign of harassment), to kick Jews out of public life unless they pass a purity test (which we saw on college campuses with the Rachel Beyda incident, at Chicago Dyke March where the star of david was deemed "offensive", and on countless other incidents), and to create an unsafe climate for Jewish people to gather and worship (which we saw with the BDS-backed terror protests in Europe).

BDS is an anti-semitic hate group. If you don't support anti-semitic hate groups, you probably shouldn't support BDS and should find another group with tactics that are more agreeable, such as one that boycotts products from behind the green line and doesn't engage with blood-libelers.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »

To my knowledge, Boer South Africa never forciblly sterilized non-white immigrants or trained it's snipers with child sized targets, or murdered an American woman with a bulldozer, or had a secret nuclear program while also demanding the bombing of any country that tries something similar, so they're actually better than Israel.

Well, the first one is just an explicit blood libel, given that no one was ever sterilized (they were given birth control without their knowledge, something that was stopped when it came to light).

As for the nuclear program, you're right. It shouldn't be secret. With the rise of the likes of Corbyn around the world, it needs to be made explicit and Israel should start developing a peaceful ICBM deterrent, if they don't have one already. Never again means never again.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »

BDS is an anti-semitic hate group. If you don't support anti-semitic hate groups, you probably shouldn't support BDS and should find another group with tactics that are more agreeable, won't affect anything.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »

BDS is an anti-semitic hate group. If you don't support anti-semitic hate groups, you probably shouldn't support BDS and should find another group with tactics that are more agreeable, won't affect anything.

So you freely admit that anti-semitism is an essential part of BDS' MO, and according to you is justified?
America needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »

BDS is a progressive anti-apartheid pro-equality movement.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »

No, it's not, it's an anti-semitic hate group that targets diaspora Jewish populations around the world in a campaign of terror.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »

When I googled anti BDS laws before commenting this morning, the first couple of websites kept talking about the equality and freedom loving Palestinians in hamas. Then i got cancer.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »

Israel isn't an apartheid state because they don't call themselves an apartheid state and only 4/5ths of the non-Jews they rule over can't vote.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »

No, it's not, it's an anti-semitic hate group that targets diaspora Jewish populations around the world in a campaign of terror.

No, it's a progressive anti-apartheid pro-equality movement.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »

Then why do they keep on targeting diaspora Jewish populations around the world in a campaign of terror?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »

Then why do they keep on targeting diaspora Jewish populations around the world in a campaign of terror?

Leaving aside loaded terminology (and whether such terms are appropriate or not) I would presume that some members of the BDS movement see parallels between current Zionist policy in the West Bank and results of the quest for lebensraum for a favored ethnic group that was experienced by Jews within living memory and hope to shame them into rethinking their position. 

Not that trying to shame people is an effective tactic, as the 2016 election showed.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »

I do not support BDS, in any way, shape, or form, but I still think anti-BDS laws definitely infringe on freedom of speech and freedom of association.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »

I do not support BDS, in any way, shape, or form, but I still think anti-BDS laws definitely infringe on freedom of speech and freedom of association.

I don't think the state deciding which businesses they want to affiliate with based on their policies is infringing on freedom of speech.

Cases like we saw in Texas, where overzealous states tried to tie individual aid to loyalty oaths, were absurd and would likely be smacked down quickly.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »

Do you ever think it's odd that every single critic of Israel also happens to be anti-semetic? Funny how that works.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »

Do you ever think it's odd that every single critic of Israel also happens to be anti-semetic? Funny how that works.

Funny how no one but you said that.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »

Funny how no one but you said that.

I've yet to see an Israel thread that didn't end with Mr. Goldfield calling me an anti semite and also advocating nuclear war.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 05:59:39 AM »

Leaving aside loaded terminology (and whether such terms are appropriate or not) I would presume that some members of the BDS movement see parallels between current Zionist policy in the West Bank and results of the quest for lebensraum for a favored ethnic group that was experienced by Jews within living memory and hope to shame them into rethinking their position. 

Not that trying to shame people is an effective tactic, as the 2016 election showed.
are you answering a different question?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 07:17:26 AM »

are you answering a different question?

I already answered the question in the OP in a matter-of-fact manner, but that was promptly ignored so that both sides could get at more important business of the insulting of each other's motives. I suppose I should have stayed quiet after that and let them continue to quarrel since that's what they both seem to want rather than getting actual answers to their questions.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 08:19:18 AM »

No, not the OP's question, the one you quoted.  It seems to be asking about why BDS targets Jews wherever they find them, but your answer was all about current Zionist policy in the West Bank which is completely unrelated.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »

My problem with BDS is they once protested an Israeli filmmaker who was speaking and showing his film at a university...which was actually a documentary critical of the West Bank occupation.

Because of that I'll never support them.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »

1) BDS is anti-Semitic in a way other anti-Israeli groups are not

2) Their first amendment rights to protest and boycott should not be abridged
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »

My problem with BDS is they once protested an Israeli filmmaker who was speaking and showing his film at a university...which was actually a documentary critical of the West Bank occupation.

Basically sums it up. They're not honestly about ending the occupation or supporting Palestinian rights. To them, all Israelis are guilty at birth, and they're rapidly expanding that.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »

If this is a jibe at the Syracuse University fiasco with 'The Settlers', then I'd advise you to read into these topics past the headlines. There's criticism and then there's just fabrication. From what I've observed, the SU BDS actually supported the film viewing, but a professor rescinded the invitation to the filmmaker out of fear of a reaction from the students active in the Israel-Palestine dialogue - there was no physical or verbal protest. Here's a link to the statement from the campus BDS expressing enthusiasm for open debate regardless of country of origin: Here, Bottom of Article
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »

No, not the OP's question, the one you quoted.  It seems to be asking about why BDS targets Jews wherever they find them, but your answer was all about current Zionist policy in the West Bank which is completely unrelated.

The supposed reason for BDS is Zionist policies on the West Bank. Whether it's the real reason is a separate question. Take my answer as being like giving an answer to why Republicans are concerned about Voter ID that discussed reducing voter fraud.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »

To my knowledge, Boer South Africa never forciblly sterilized non-white immigrants or trained it's snipers with child sized targets, or murdered an American woman with a bulldozer, or had a secret nuclear program while also demanding the bombing of any country that tries something similar, so they're actually better than Israel.

Well, the first one is just an explicit blood libel, given that no one was ever sterilized (they were given birth control without their knowledge, something that was stopped when it came to light).

As for the nuclear program, you're right. It shouldn't be secret. With the rise of the likes of Corbyn around the world, it needs to be made explicit and Israel should start developing a peaceful ICBM deterrent, if they don't have one already. Never again means never again.

I oppose BDS (as does Corbyn, fwiw), but I find it rather distasteful that you imply my country should be nuked for democratically electing a leader you dislike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies